I feel like smoking a cigarette since my exams are over , please help !!

Sunshine59

Don't be silly sunshine, you've gotten past so much. This too shall pass. But yes, at 5 months quit I still had plenty of craves. The good news is that the craves you get this far along will be much easier to get past than in the beginning 😊

• Like 3

Thanks jillar ,

i was following a lot of study related things and now suddenly everything is empty .

There is nothing of any importance in my mind right now , maybe that is why .

Anyway i should strictly avoid smoking .

Its like all all the thrills of not smoking is gone .

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sunshine59 said:

There is nothing of any importance in my mind right now , maybe that is why .

I beg to differ sunshine, just think of your wife and kid. They're pretty important right? 

• Like 3

You are still using Gum as a NRT, right ?

If you continue to feed your nicotine addiction you will continue to have craves.

The only way to freedom is to stop delivering nicotine to your body.

I believe you said that you were going to stop gum 'after your exams'.

There will always be an excuse to continue using nicotine, I hope you stop this craziness.

• Like 2

Yes , i want to stop that gums too , let me try from this time on wards .

While i was attending my exams in Sikkim i did not chew any gums for 6 days .

i did not feel anything bad .

On the seventh day when i came back home i chewed one , but after chewing one after a 6 day break i had some very uncomfortable feelings suddenly as soon as i chewed a gum .

I am stopping the gums too with this post !!!!

Edited by Sunshine59
  • Like 3

That is Splendid news, sunshine !

After the six days, your body was happy and resistant when you tried gum again.

You quit smoking !  You can deal with letting the nicotine go, it is doing nothing to benefit you.

Congratulations on taking your freedom into your hands !

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Sunshine59 said:

Its like all all the thrills of not smoking is gone .

In time, the body and mind adapt to a life without nicotine.  The thrill-a-minute roller coaster ride that is the early days of the quit settles into a more stable ride.  Eventually, not smoking becomes second nature.  This adaptation should be welcomed.

Motivation and excitement cease to be a part of the process.  We don't smoke because we don't smoke.

5 hours ago, Sunshine59 said:

Bye bye nicotine gums

Going cold turkey

Good call Sunshine.

• Like 2

Early on in my quit I found all sorts of associations with smoking that would trigger cravings.  Every time I did NOT smoke I would be 

reinforcing proper behavior and the cravings would diminish.    Even after some years of not smoking I can uncover an association that

will have me thinking about a cigarette.    Last time this happened I had finished climbing up a rather large hill.  As I surveyed the natural 

vista of wonderment I couldn't help but think that a smoke break would be nice.  

Keep in mind I don't hike up mountainsides on a daily basis but when I did I always had a smoke. 

...and that is how, even after a few YEARS into quitting, I can think about a smoke.    

Anyhow, I had a hip flask of brandy so instead of lighting up, I guzzled down.  :)  

These triggers are like mental landmines of cravings we associated an activity with smoking.   

Every time we perform the activity without smoking we lessen the association.  

• Like 3

@johnny5

Thanks

@Boo

Yes , It took only 3 hours to feel normal after the last nicotine gum :)

@Sirius

This time i was went to a trip to a mountain side after a long time for my last semester exams  , i think that is what triggered it .

i stayed here for 5 days and it was a 6000 kilometer journey to and from this place .

20200210-073903.jpg

Anyway , I am seriously not smoking especially after a 5 month quit :)

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Sunshine59 said:

@johnny5

Thanks

@Boo

Yes , It took only 3 hours to feel normal after the last nicotine gum :)

@Sirius

This time i was went to a trip to a mountain side after a long time for my last semester exams  , i think that is what triggered it .

i stayed here for 5 days and it was a 6000 kilometer journey to and from this place .

20200210-073903.jpg

Anyway , I am seriously not smoking especially after a 5 month quit :)

OMG I thought that tree was Godzila!  Gotta clean my glasses more.

On another note, Good Show Sunshine.  Every day make the quit (and you) that much stronger.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1