First couple days ... now scared

AndrewAsh

Awesome Andrew, thanks for the update 😊 Maybe when you get a chance you can fill in your quit date so we can know where you are in your quit? 

Another super inspiring thing is our tickers. They show you how many cigarettes you've avoided since you quit as well as the time and money saved by quitting. I loved watching mine and couldn't believe the numbers I was seeing! 😲

• Like 4

Way - to- go Andrew ....you are doing brilliant.....

Yes !!!!....our tickers are a great tool ....the sense of pride you get watching the money grow due to cigs not smoked ....can be very powerful....done forget a reward ....doesn't matter what it is ...as long as you treat it as a Reward for all your hard work ....youv,e so earned it ...

• Like 2

So I do have one more question...

is Smokers flu or Quitters Flu a real thing. 

not gonna lie, I was feeling pretty good the last couple days , thought we were on the gravy train rolling and then this afternoon unbearable headache and coughs ; no fevers or anything of that nature just the headache , coughs and stuffy nose ... ugh 

Great question @AndrewAsh, quitters flu is real in that some recovery symptoms we have mimic flu like symptoms. The headache, coughing, foggy feeling. But it also is cold and flu season so it could be that you're just coming down with a cold. You'll be pleasantly surprised to find that the colds you do get won't last as long as they did when you smoked. I also found that I got far less colds after I quit.

I hope you feel better soon 😊

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, jillar said:

Great question @AndrewAsh, quitters flu is real in that some recovery symptoms we have mimic flu like symptoms. The headache, coughing, foggy feeling. But it also is cold and flu season so it could be that you're just coming down with a cold. You'll be pleasantly surprised to find that the colds you do get won't last as long as they did when you smoked. I also found that I got far less colds after I quit.

I hope you feel better soon 😊

Thanks so much 

• Like 2

Andrew, try to up the amount of water you're drinking and see if that will help a bit.  Maybe also try some sliced ginger root, honey and hot water.

10 days!!  I'm super stoked for you 👍. It's been said before, kickin an addiction ain't for sissies.  You've taken the upper hand.  Be proud!

Edited by Runfree
  • Like 3

Hi Andrew....it may be just coincidence.....you may have had a cold lurking ....

Your body will be able to fight off colds much quicker and easier now you are smoke free....

Your still in the early stages of healing ....be kind to yourself ....

I don't get no where near the amount of colds I used to get ....and they are soon gone too....

Stay strong ....

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Sazerac said:

Hello, Andrew.

Congratulations on quitting smoking.

Have you stopped taking NRT's also ?

Here are a few links to our friend, Joel Spitzer, on the issues you have mentioned;

After Quitting Smoking Is There Such A Thing As Quitters Flu ?

Common Symptoms

Yes NRT free as well 

• Like 4

Just now, AndrewAsh said:

Yes NRT free as well 

Excellent !  Smoking had the tendency of hiding many health issues so, please consult a professional on any concerns.

Congratulations on quitting smoking and being nicotine free !

Everything will get better by and by.  Don't expect immediate results, it takes time to reconfigure the nicotine addict's brain.

Rewarding yourself helps.

The Significance of Rewards

• Like 2

Wow,

that's some fever, Andrew.

Liquids....drink liquids till your teeth float ! and sleep the sleep of the just.

Hope the fever breaks tonight and you feel better tomorrow.

You have 11 days of Freedom under your belt and Nicotine is pretty much completely gone from your body.

Congratulations on your new life !  Soon you will be well enough to celebrate with us.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Runfree said:

You may have a flu.  You may also be flushing all kinds of grossness out of your system.  Hang in there.  Up the liquids.

Most likely 

back to normal today it seems, fever at 99 , probably a mix of everything 

• Like 2

If I may I would like to write a important message from Joel ...

Concerning fever,s after quitting .... hopefully it will help us in the future ....

Thanks appreciate the kind words ....

seems like one thing after another ; have a fever of 102-103 ... 

probably not related to quitting but dam when it rains it pours , frustrating "

Once there is a fever involved the word "probably" does not belong here. Fever is sign of an infection.

The video on the page " "Is there such a thing as a "quitters flu"  states this clearly.

His post serves as a clear example for why people who are off for more than a few days should never write off flu like symptoms to some form of a "quitters flu." It puts the person at risk of going out and getting themselves sicker because they are writing off symptoms to nicotine withdrawal and also puts them in the position of infecting others around them.

It is important to always note that once a fever is involved--even if within the first 72 hours of a quit, the person is not getting that fever from nicotine withdrawal. It is the sign of an infection.

• Like 2

Thanks for the notes all ...

I am definitely not taking the fever lightly or connecting it to quitting smoking. 
Took the day off work , been relaxing , drinking tons of fluids. Fever is essentially gone ... since I am a little anxious , I check my temp every hour or so (maybe more) 

thank you all for the concern 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Doreensfree said:

Good news Andrew ....

Your giving yourself some TLC ....hopefully you will soon be back to your old fabulous Smoke Free Self ..

Well done ....

Thank you so much 

plugging and chugging 

dry cough , no fever

moving forward :)

• Like 4

Hey all , checking in 

still going strong smoke free .. other than trying to adjust to sleep things are going well. Still kinda having a hard time getting a good nights rest but it’s been better than last week. 
plugging and chugging along. Having some stomach adjustments as well, which my doc told me is expected. 

getting closer and closer to 1 month :) 

• Like 5