Day 4; so far so OK

Tylers1027

Hi everyone!  I'm on day 4 of the nicoderm CQ patch.  Around 3 years ago I made it through the whole 10 weeks of the 3 step patches and had quit smoking for 6 months, then somehow started up again.  I'm trying to give it another go because I know the patches work because I did it before. I was a previous pack and a half a day smoker.

With the patch so far, I'm not feeling too bothered walking to work, at work, headed home or when I'm playing volleyball/keeping busy/taking my dog for walks.  The hardest part is hanging out at home after work.  I live alone and and am used to watching tv/smoking while watching at night.  Now when I get home and have the whole night free sitting around my condo by myself, all I can do is think of smoking and how I enjoyed it relaxing at home.  I'm fine all day long, it's when I get home I'm having the cravings/thoughts.

Does anyone have any tips for this?

• Like 6

congratulations on your quit and welcome to QTrain.

You will experience even more health benefits when you put the patches away.

I trust this is your plan.

You need to learn all you can about nicotine addiction and ensure a successful quit.

Please, avail yourself to all our materials.

This thread may be helpful to you

10 Ways To Effectively Use This Forum To Stop Using Nicotine

Why not start an exercise program for yourself at home during the evenings.

Aerobics or Yoga or Tai Chi.  Lots of physical things to get involved in that will help you sleep and get your endorphins pumping.

Take your dogs out for more fun.

Start a new hobby, it is a big world out there....go exploring your interests !

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Tylers1027 said:

Now when I get home and have the whole night free sitting around my condo by myself, all I can do is think of smoking and how I enjoyed it relaxing at home.

Did you really enjoy the smoking? I mean REALLY? Think hard about it. What was it you "enjoyed"? Was it the sense of relaxation? Because you can get that from healthier means, like deep breathing, listening to relaxing music, meditation, drinking a cup of tea, etc. I became a huge fan of deep breathing when I quit. And one important thing to remember is that the sense of "relaxation" that we get from smoking is actually just relief from withdrawal. It's not true relaxation. I always thought smoking relaxed me, but after I quit I realized how much more relaxed I was overall without that constant nagging withdrawal.

Did you enjoy having something to fill the time? That was a tough one for me when I first quit. I smoked so much and so often that once I quit I had to figure out new ways to fill those hours! I played a TON of Wordscapes on my phone when I first quit. What other activities can you do while you relax? Do you like to read? Watch movies? Play video games? Do jigsaw puzzles? You will find eventually that you are able to fill that time. It takes a while, but you'll get there. I now can enjoy simply "being." Sometimes I will just sit on my couch with my dog's head in my lap and just be still for a while. It's nice. 

Now think about all the things you didn't enjoy about smoking:

- The smell

- The cough

- The cost

- The stained fingers and teeth

- The fear of smoking-related illness

- The shortness of breath

- The guilt and shame

- The filthy disgusting ash trays (and having to clean them)

- Etc., etc., etc.

Smoking sucks. Breathing is so much better! You'll get there. You just need to retrain your brain. It takes time and a bit of work, but it's worth it. I promise.

• Like 7

Hi and welcome ....

Read all you can here....the green pinned threads on the Main Board is a great place to start ...

Understanding this addiction .... will help you along ...

Keep your mind active ....work through the craves....

Stay close to the board ...

• Like 5

Welcome aboard Tylers.  Congratulations on quitting.

On 1/17/2020 at 11:15 AM, Tylers1027 said:

Around 3 years ago I made it through the whole 10 weeks of the 3 step patches and had quit smoking for 6 months, then somehow started up again. 

Be careful with that kind of thinking.  As smokers we gave the cigarette far more power than it ever deserved.  The decision to smoke or not smoke is not a matter of chance.  It is entirely a matter of choice.  It always was and it always will be.

Commit to the quit and drive on.

• Like 2

Congratulations @Tylers1027 on taking back your life.  You can keep this quit going.  Stay close to the forum and keep your mind focused on the positives of quitting.  When you are home, start a hobby or do a puzzle.  Keep yourself busy.  I promise it will get better each day!

• Like 2

I tried some yoga and deep breathing exercise when the craves hit. the nice thing about this is that it continues to this day. if it gets real bad eat something. You can shed the weight later. S.O.S. here when your about to blow it. Best wishes. You`ve done this before so you know what it takes. you just gotta to make it stick. don`t be like me and wait till your old. best wishes and good luck.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for the replies!  Day 6 was a little tough as went out with friends and had some drinks but I hung in there.  Day 7 I didn't have any cravings all day until around 10 at night before bed.  Today is day 8 and it's not too bad.  

A few days after I quit, walking into my place I could smell cigarette smell ( I never could notice before); as a weekend project I painted all my walls.  Much better now!

Also volleyball season starts up next week so will be doing that 4 nights a week so that will be great to have something to keep me busy (the past week has just been time bored at home).  

• Like 6

Congratulations on your quit !

Tell us, if you will, about your plan to step down from NRT

and keep us informed as to how you feel, what challenges you may have.

Learning about successful quits benefits many people.

• Like 2

Of course!  I am planning to do the 21mg patch for 6 weeks, then switch to 14mg patch for 2 weeks, then 7mg patch for 2 weeks and then no patch beginning on week 10.  When I used the patch a few years ago through the whole 10 weeks, I didn't really notice any difference when switching down patches so I'm hoping that will be the case again this time.  Will keep you updated :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh !  So glad you are still with us and congratulations on having quit smoking. 21 days is a giant accomplishment,  Reward yourself.

The Significance of Rewards

I have every confidence that you will be putting the nicotine down in the same way when that time comes.

Here is a thread from our friend, Joel Spitzer,

How To Do Nothing Without A Cigarette (with mentioned links)

also, think about H.A.L.T.

are you Hungry, Angry (emotional), Lonesome (bored), Tired.

Often, a craving signals attention to your body or mind is needed and is not an invitation to smoke at all.

Riffing On H.A.L.T

Thanks a lot for keeping in touch.  Your experiences will help and  inspire others.

No matter how insignificant you think they may be, someone else will say, ' hey, me too !  and if he can quit, so can I'

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All! Thought I'd send a quick update.  I'm up to day 49 with no mess ups!  I'm using the Nicoderm patch.  4 days ago I switched down from the 21mg to the 14mg patch.  The cravings have been worse the last 4 days after using the lower dose patch, but I'm pulling through! 

• Like 6

Hi Tylers, congratulations on 49 days smoke free :) Glad you've stepped down on the patch, the sooner you get the nicotine out of your system the better. 

Don't forget to use our SOS if you need some extra support 😊

• Like 2

Hi Tyler ....good work .. Congratulations on your great Quit ....pulling off that band aid slowly  can hurt more than pulling it off fast once and for all...

Your body will be getting used to the lower dose ....

If you need to come here to scream and shout ...someone will be here ...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Tylers1027 said:

Hi All! Thought I'd send a quick update.  I'm up to day 49 with no mess ups!  I'm using the Nicoderm patch.  4 days ago I switched down from the 21mg to the 14mg patch.  The cravings have been worse the last 4 days after using the lower dose patch, but I'm pulling through! 

Congratulations on 49 days of not smoking. I am sure you have stirred up your smoking patterns and dealt with some triggers.

Thank you for checking in, it is good to hear you are still with us.

You won't be 'messing up' or 'slipping up' if you smoke.  These word are far too innocuous when stark truth is needed.

If you smoke,   you will have willfully relapsed and failed yourself. Don't do it.  This quitting is serious business.

You will stop the damage from nicotine and end your suffering when you stop administering nicotine.

It takes three days for most of nicotine to be eliminated from your body.