I got a stroke it didn’t just happen to someone else

Cbdave

G’day 

Got blocked carotid arteries. Caused a series of “TIAs” so called mini strokes. None of the usual boxes are ticked except (ex) smoker and over 60 (just).

Shit! I’m an ex smoker and this still happens! They unblock one side surgically.

Next Stoke lands me in the major stroke ward. Pretty scared I spend my time trying to remember who’s the current prime minister and what date is it. 

Theres not much sleep to be had and apparently I was there for 2 days but it seemed like overnight. 

I walk out but 2 got out with blankets over their heads. I survived but others didn’t. I was a 3 year non smoker. That was my mantra. I kept telling them I gave up 10th oct 2015. Who gives a shit what date it was that day.

I survived cause I’d given the smokes away. Gave me the edge. Had to earn the right (sensibly) to drive again. Was able to keep working part time. Just.

That was a year ago. Still can’t remember much from that time but I’m still here. 

And happy to be that non smoker! Yep happy to give myself that title. 

Not One Puff Ever

Chris

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

Glad to hear you are recovering.  This is a good lesson to all of us that just because we quit smoking, we are not out of the woods with strokes and heart attacks.  Plenty of never smokers die of these ailments.  We still have to watch our diet and exercise and keep monitoring our health.

• Like 6

We are so lucky to have you on the planet and have you helping us here on QTrain, Chris.

Hope you are mending well and savoring each and every day.

The sooner people quit smoking the less risk they will have of stroke, heart disease, and a plethora of other, sometimes fatal, health issues.

Life is too precious to smoke it all away.

S

You know,  I may still die of a smoking related illness but, the quality of my life has vastly improved with being smoke/nicotine free

The quality of my death is something I think about and I will not be tortured by feeding the addiction or be in withdrawals.

I will die a free person. 

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 6

Thank you Chris for your honest post ...keep recovering ....

I sometimes ask myself ...have I dodged the bullet...after smoking myself over 5 decades...

Who knows !!!!!

What I do know the 6 years I have been smoke free have been the best years I can remember .....

• Like 6

Thank you for sharing - it the reality for all of us former smokers - we are at a higher risk for so many health issues - I remind myself that whatever comes my way health wise I will be able to conquer it more successfully as a non-smoker than as a smoker and that is enough some days to keep the quit. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for sharing Chris and I'm so glad you're doing better now. This hits home for me now as a three and a half year quitter who is facing health issues from smoking for 35 years.

Anyone on the fence about quitting, take heed.....

• Sad 1

So glad you are slowly recovering Cbdave.  We were all in la la land when we smoked (nothing is going to happen to me)  After quitting, you are living in reality.  Each and every one of us hope that we will not have to face medical issues.  I do find that, now that I am quit, I want to live the best, healthiest life.  

• Like 3