Old habits die hard re: triggers

mightyboosh

I always used to smoke in the kitchen because I was trying to confine the yellowing effects of the smoke to one area so just one place to try and keep clean rather than many.

Obviously when it was time for a coffee it meant another cig so back to the kitchen again.

Now I have quit, I still drink coffee in the kitchen and it just doesn't feel right anywhere else. I think this is a good thing in that I am ignoring a trigger. I always maintained that there's only myself responsible for my quit. I can't control the rest of the World and expect smokers to alter their behaviour for my sake to help me along. Mrs boosh still smokes.

There will always be triggers out there so I don't run from them, I accept them. I think this makes me a stronger quitter.

Anyone else still sticking to a habit that was closely related to smoking?

Edited by mightyboosh
  • Like 6

I think it is great how you are strengthening your quit by facing your triggers this way.

You are outsmarting the addiction and giving yourself power.

Remember to reward yourself for these actions, that will re-enforce the pleasure of your freedom.

My whole lifestyle was one big smoking trigger.  I smoked everywhere in the house and anywhere else I could.

It was impossible for me to avoid a where and a when I smoked.

Certain patterns emerged like waking up in the morning and lighting up.  Another smoke making coffee.  Another one drinking it.

Many many many instances that I couldn't avoid.  I had to change.  I had to face my addiction, like all of us do.

Facing my last trigger at 10 months was the biggest.

I write about it here

My Life As One Big Smoke Trigger

• Like 5

I also think it's great that you're facing those triggers head on Phil, well done :) I stopped smoking in areas that I usually smoked in a month or two before I quit so that I wouldn't be triggered when I went into those areas. Just goes to show that there's no one size fits all when quitting :) 

• Like 4