First time posting... Hi Everyone!

Rick92

Hi everyone, 

I thought I'd introduce myself as a good first step in getting involved in this forum. 

A little bit about me

I've been a smoker for 4 years now - I initially used smoking to numb the anxious moments in life (work stress, the "what am I doing with my life" moments etc.) but before I even realised, I was an addict. I tried many attempts to quit this year... but reflecting back, I don't think I really gave it my all. Two areas where I feel I should have paid more attention was :

1. Getting educated on the specifics of smoking health issues (https://www.quittrain.com/topic/4836-can-you-spare-about-an-hour-and-a-half-to-help-to-save-your-life was eye-opening), and
  2. Getting involved with a network of quitters (like you guys)  

That being said, I'm ready to give quitting another go and I'm excited to do it this time together with you guys. I'm 3 days into my quit and I'm going to take it one day at a time. 

Thanks for running this forum, it's a godsend for those who don't have any quitters in their networks. 

Thanks,

Rick

• Like 6

Welcome to QuitTrain, Rick.

Like you, I also had several attempts at quitting smoking before I finally quit for good.  Joining and getting involved in a forum like this one and educating myself about nicotine addiction is what finally helped me quit for good.  I'm glad you are taking these same steps.

Speaking as someone who smoked for 20 years, quitting smoking is a truly great thing to do.  You will see great improvements in your life over time and it is worth any early short-term struggles you may have.

Stick close to this site, educate yourself about nicotine addiction, reach out for help if you need it, and support others too. The socializing and games section of this site also offer good distraction and fun to keep your mind off of smoking.

Congratulations on 3 days smoke free.  You are going through the toughest part but you are doing great. 

• Like 4

Congratulations on quitting smoking, @Rick92 !

You have made an important decision that will affect many areas of your life in v. good ways.

Like all have said before me, stay close to the board.

This helps keep you accountable with yourself and with people who know Exactly what you are going through.

and

Education !  Read until your eyes bleed and watch all the scary movies.

Knowledge is essential and will help you build your successful quit.

You may find this thread useful

Your First Week Nicotine Free

and please, let us know how you are doing, we can point you to resources that will help you on your journey.

@HeatherDianne is right, it IS a journey.

A journey of self discovery and a profound trust in ourselves when we stop administering poisons.

• Like 4

Welcome Rick and congratulations on taking back your life :) We have so much to do here to keep your mind busy and off the thought of smoking. From educating yourself about the addiction to socializing and having fun. You will find as much support as you need or want here :)

• Like 4

Welcome aboard, @Rick92! Best decision you could make to join QTrain...next to quitting smoking, of course! Read everything you can here, then read it again! Watch Joel Spitzer's videos! Educate yourself about your nicotine addiction......I smoked for 40+ years and the damage done caught up to me in Feb 2017. I survived a stroke in 2017 and a triple bypass in 2018.

I consider myself one of the lucky ones now...😎 

• Like 4