Smoking on Christmas

JimHannoonen

I remember how on Christmas I would have to sneak out periodically throughout the day/evening to have a quick smoke. I was the only smoker in the family, so I would walk a few houses down so nobody would see me. Even though they all knew I smoked, I was still ashamed.

When I was done, I would walk in the front door, hope that no one would see me and then quickly scurry upstairs so I could wash up and use mouthwash.

Of course, now that I'm a non-smoker, I know that the hand washing and mouthwash/gum/whatever never got rid of the stink that came along with smoking and when I eventually rejoined the family, I'm sure they could all smell it. I can't tell you how happy I am that that is no longer a part of my holiday ritual.

If you're stressing out about dealing with your quit over the holidays, don't! Relish in the fact that you don't have to go through all your old rituals. Appreciate that you are NO LONGER A SLAVE. Enjoy your time with your family and friends and know that you'll soon be starting a new year smoke free.

Quitting is the best present you can give yourself and everyone around you.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, everyone!

Christmas Corgis.jpg

• Like 13

Oh what a pain it used to be! I dreaded Mother in law coming up for christmas as it really spoilt my smoking grr, she would hang around us, and I was on edge standing outside in case she came looking for me. She would be here all day, so had to get hubby to keep her talking so I could sneak off. Missing time with my Sons because I needed to go outside every hour!! I have a grand daughter this year and I am going to spend every second with her.

Merry Christmas.

• Like 7

I wish I could jump in and say my first smoke free Christmas was awesome - but to be honest the last few days have been a rollercoaster for me. Christmas Eve - I was ready to throw it all away - Smokers were at my house and I WANTED TO JOIN THEM - I did not feel the freedom of not HAVING to smoke.(not yet) - At one point I had to excuse myself - went upstairs to my room and went outside on the balcony and cried and pretended to smoke with a candy cane. Did it help? well yes - After I was calmer and rejoined the party I was in a better space. But I would be lying if I did not admit I was not a happy quitter at all - I wanted to feel normal again - and smoking for me is a normal. But I did not - I am 3 days away from 2 months and it has been A LONG time since I can say that. I just couldn't throw it all away. so I just pretty much was a moody mess throughout the past 2 days. 

And I have decided that is ok. It is ok to not love my quit like some of you and to feel at times it is holding me back as much as smoking did but in different ways. or I am just too new to the smoke free life to feel the freedom - but I have FAITH that it will come in time.  

At one point I said to my husband " if the quitting is so good for me, the family and my life - why does it feel so awful and uncomfortable?" But I know the answer, I have done the homework and I know I am just a nicotine junkie looking for a fix - and this fact keeps me from lighting up a cigarette.  But I wanted to share with all of you and the new people coming in - this is not always easy - in fact sometimes it is HARD and you have to push through - if you really want it. 

Did I learn anything from my Christmas? - Even not smoking, my addiction was very present. I am not in a place where I love being smoke free - but I can see and sense what it might be like - someday- but I am not there yet. and most of all I realized how much I want this quit. I may want to smoke, but I want the quit more - and that is why today December 26 - I am still smoke free and only 3 days away from 2 months. I have accepted that this holiday will be what it will be as I simply want to join in the festive smoking - and I find accepting that I still WANT to go outside with the smokers is fine - as Long as it stays a WANT and not an action - then really I will be fine. I will keep the quit. 

On another note - the smokers did tell me that a pack of 25 smokes has gone up and  is $19.95 here in Canada  now - I have to admit I love that I am not going to be paying that kind of money to light up and watch it disappear in a puff of smoke. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, HeatherDianne said:

I wish I could jump in and say my first smoke free Christmas was awesome - but to be honest the last few days have been a rollercoaster for me. Christmas Eve - I was ready to throw it all away - Smokers were at my house and I WANTED TO JOIN THEM - I did not feel the freedom of not HAVING to smoke.(not yet) - At one point I had to excuse myself - went upstairs to my room and went outside on the balcony and cried and pretended to smoke with a candy cane. Did it help? well yes - After I was calmer and rejoined the party I was in a better space. But I would be lying if I did not admit I was not a happy quitter at all - I wanted to feel normal again - and smoking for me is a normal. But I did not - I am 3 days away from 2 months and it has been A LONG time since I can say that. I just couldn't throw it all away. so I just pretty much was a moody mess throughout the past 2 days. 

And I have decided that is ok. It is ok to not love my quit like some of you and to feel at times it is holding me back as much as smoking did but in different ways. or I am just too new to the smoke free life to feel the freedom - but I have FAITH that it will come in time.  

At one point I said to my husband " if the quitting is so good for me, the family and my life - why does it feel so awful and uncomfortable?" But I know the answer, I have done the homework and I know I am just a nicotine junkie looking for a fix - and this fact keeps me from lighting up a cigarette.  But I wanted to share with all of you and the new people coming in - this is not always easy - in fact sometimes it is HARD and you have to push through - if you really want it. 

Did I learn anything from my Christmas? - Even not smoking, my addiction was very present. I am not in a place where I love being smoke free - but I can see and sense what it might be like - someday- but I am not there yet. and most of all I realized how much I want this quit. I may want to smoke, but I want the quit more - and that is why today December 26 - I am still smoke free and only 3 days away from 2 months. I have accepted that this holiday will be what it will be as I simply want to join in the festive smoking - and I find accepting that I still WANT to go outside with the smokers is fine - as Long as it stays a WANT and not an action - then really I will be fine. I will keep the quit. 

On another note - the smokers did tell me that a pack of 25 smokes has gone up and  is $19.95 here in Canada  now - I have to admit I love that I am not going to be paying that kind of money to light up and watch it disappear in a puff of smoke. 

Congratulations, on beating a gruesome crave !  Please continue to reward yourself !

I don't think many people were 'happy quitters' in the true 'happy' sense.

It wasn't easy for me the whole first year but, that didn't matter.  

Like you, I wanted the quit more.

I was only 'happy' about sticking to my commitment to myself, that was v. satisfying.

You quit is still so young.

Protect is with everything you have, everything you are.

You Quit Smoking, Heather Dianne !

Please believe us,  everything gets better and easier as time goes by.

You may not notice it yet but, you will.

You will slip into the new you and be free free free.

• Like 5

I wasn't a happy quitter either @HeatherDianne, but just wait until the day you wake up and realize you haven't thought of smoking in hours. It's a great feeling and my first glimpse at the happiness yet to come. Next Christmas instead of looking at the smokers wistfully you'll be feeling sorry for them that they have to go feed their addiction and miss out on the fun.

You did great overcoming your hard few days, be proud of yourself, you got this :)

• Like 4

@HeatherDianne, firstly, good job not caving to the craves. That's a HUGE step. Secondly, sure, everything is all sunshine and rainbows for me now, but 2 months in -where you are now- I was a disaster. Most everything you were/are feeling I (and most everyone else here) felt. You're not alone and you know that.

The important thing is that you didn't smoke when the pressure was on. YOU KNOW where you are and you also know where you want to be. Don't lose that vision of being a happy quitter. Stick with it and you'll be there before you know it. I promise you this.

Edited by JimHannoonen
  • Like 5

Yesterday i learned that Vodka is a trigger .

I have been drinking from a bottle of Vodka i bought for the past 3 days

I have drunk 12 glasses of Vodka in the past 3 days

So the tendency to smoke was back .

But since i didn't have any cigarettes with me , i was not able to smoke

Other than that i am alright

Thank you lord for another day without smoking .

Merry Christmas and a Happy new year to Everyone

• Like 4