Pregnancy/Period Cravings....

notsmokinjo

So what did you or the missus crave when you were up the duff?

What is the wierdest thing someone you know has craved?

What do/did you crave each month with ya period?

So with the kid, when I wasn't being Linda Blair, I had some not so normal cravings....and some normalise ones.

Frosty Fruit Icypoles

Mangos

Kiwi Fruit with the skin on (would just eat them like apples)

Persimmons

Watermelon rind (not the nice pink fruit, just the green and white bit on the outside)

Burnt match heads

Windscreen wiper blades.

Now monthly....I crave savoury... Shapes, or dip, or cheese n bickies...or Sakata seaweed rice bickies...or cheesels ....or chicken twisties....sometimes even burger rings.

Edited by notsmokinjo

1 hour ago, jillar said:

You ate burnt match heads and windshield wiper blades?! 😵😵

Yep....I could eat a box of red head's a day .. they tasted the best. 🙄

And I'd get the real cheap black wiper blades, cut them into bits about an inch long and chew on them till they were itty bitty bits of rubber and wash them down with ginger beer. 

Funny thing though, when I was preggas I couldn't eat Vegemite.

For a week or so I lived off vanilla icecream smothered in tomato sauce (ketchup).

I also had to get someone else to put the petrol in my car cos I kinda liked the smell at the servo and figured it wasn't healthy for the baby for me to be deep breathing petrol fumes.

• Confused 4

I think Jo has taken the prize on this one !  What is the nutritional profile of washer blades ?

Once morning sickness was over (3 months of ginger tea)

I craved for artichokes.  This was a quantum crave.  I couldn't get enough.

As life would have it, the sperm donor and I moved from NOLA to California.

We settled for a few months and the birth in Castroville, Ca.

The Artichoke Capitol of The World.

I was in bliss.

Craves are important to consider, dig the nutritional profile of artichokes.

Excerpted from 'Nutrition and You'

'Globe artichoke is low in calories and fat; 100 g = 47 calories.

It is one of the finest sources of dietary fiber and antioxidants.

It provides 5.4 g per 100 g, about 14% of RDA fiber.

Artichoke contains bitter principles, cynarin, and sesquiterpene-lactones.

Scientific studies show that these compounds, not only inhibit cholesterol synthesis but also increase its excretion in the bile.

Fresh artichoke is an excellent source of vitamin, folic acid; provides about 68 µg per 100 g (17% of recommended daily allowance).

Folic acid acts as a co-factor for enzymes involved in the synthesis of DNA.

Scientific studies have proven that adequate levels of folates in the diet during the pre-conception period,

and during early pregnancy may help prevent neural tube defects in the newborn baby.

Fresh globes also contain moderate amounts of the antioxidant vitamin; vitamin-C (Provides about 20% of recommended levels per 100 g).

Regular consumption of foods rich in vitamin-C helps the human body develop resistance against infectious agents

and scavenge harmful, pro-inflammatory free radicals from the body.

It is one of the good vegetable sources for vitamin-K; provide about 12% of DRI.

Vitamin-K plays a vital role in bone health through promoting osteotropic (bone formation) activity.

Adequate vitamin-K levels in the diet help limiting neuronal damage in the brain.

It is an also a good source of antioxidant compounds such as silymarin, caffeic acid, and ferulic acid, which help the body protect from harmful free-radical agents.

Total measurable antioxidant strength (ORAC) of artichokes (globe or french) is 6552 µmol TE/100 g.

It is also rich in the B-complex group of vitamins such as niacin, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), thiamin, and pantothenic acid

that are essential for optimum cellular metabolic functions.

Further, the artichoke is a rich source of minerals like copper, calcium, potassium, iron, manganese and phosphorus. 

Potassium is an important component of cell and body fluids that helps controlling heart rate and blood pressure by countering effects of sodium.

Manganese used by the human body as a co-factor for the antioxidant enzyme, superoxide dismutase. 

Copper required in the production of red blood cells. Iron helps in the red blood cell synthesis in the bone marrow.

Additionally, it contains small amounts of antioxidant flavonoid compounds like carotene-beta, lutein, and zeaxanthin.

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

I have never been  pregnant but during the time of the month, I craved potato chips and dark chocolate!

image.thumb.png.a03cee03fcb9c8aff30824e8c381ea3f.pngI have visited Castroville, CA! @Sazerac I tried samples of artichoke ice cream, artichoke bread, artichoke cookies, etc while there...and took a picture in front of the world's largest sculpture of an artichoke! 😉

Edited by Rozuki
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Rozuki said:

I have never been  pregnant but during the time of the month, I craved potato chips and dark chocolate!

image.thumb.png.a03cee03fcb9c8aff30824e8c381ea3f.pngI have visited Castroville, CA! @Sazerac I tried samples of artichoke ice cream, artichoke bread, artichoke cookies, etc while there...and took a picture in front of the world's largest sculpture of an artichoke! 😉

This joint was right down the road from the old four square farmhouse we were staying at.  I love the young small artichokes, no choke !  The produce out west is sublime.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I was pregnant with my daughter,  I craved hot dogs!  I thought for sure she was going to be a boy.

With my son I craved barbecue chicken.

The first three months I could not eat much of anything because I had terrible morning sickness.  

• Like 3