I can't seem to get rid of nicotine

HunterSTL

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry if I get something wrong. I am still new to this forum.

I have started consuming snus/ chewing tobacco ever since I'm 16. In the beginning it felt so good like free falling and not hitting the ground. Even though I enjoyed the feel of nicotine very much, it
wasn't untill a year later that I got hooked. In the beginning I didn't have access to proper (swedish) chewing tobacco. The ones you can get in my country are very weak and I quickly grew a tolerance.
I got a pack of proper snus every now and again. Then I started buying packs in a different country. At that time I would always use snus every day for about a month or two and the I would stop for a couple of month. I never found it hard to quit, and I always quit cold turkey.

Fast forward to when I was 18. I started with my license and had courses. After the courses the students often met outside to talk and smoke. I also started smoking because I felt more connected to other people then. At that time I had already tried smoking numerous times and I never really liked it. After I finished the theoretical course  I also wanted to stop smoking again. Here the start of the problem arose. Everytime I finished a pack I would last about 3 days untill I really started craving a single cig. And everytime I craved a single cig my only option was to buy another pack. So then I have been a smoker for probably about 4 month or so (smoking at the beginning 2 cigarettes a day and 20 cigarettes a day in the end) when I decided I absolutely want to stop smoking.

I tried vaping for a couple of month and in the beginning I got along nicely but I quickly began hating it. The only liquids I felt nicotine from were the ones with 18mg/ml nicotine at 50Watts. And even then the feeling was incredibly subtle unlike with cigarettes. Also the taste was unbelievably gross at those nicotine levels so that even cigarettes tasted much better.

I then gave chewing tobacco another shot. I switched from cigs to snus from one day to the other and it worked fantasticly. I could stop smoking and had a much healthier (and better feeling) alternative, but I'm basically back to square one.

So after using snus for 2 years now I wanted to quit again because I could never control myself. I would always consume more and more bags of tobacco untill I was at almost a pack of 24 a day of the strongest snus available (Siberia red at 45mg nicotine / gramm).

I tried quitting here and there again and it works well for a week or two, but then I fall back because snus felt so good for me. The thing is, the entire day I'm fine without nicotine untill I get home and do stuff at my PC. I get strong cravings for snus at home.

Now I'm at a Point where I would be okay with consuming a moderate amount of snus a day (2 or 3 snus at night). I would not feel bad at night, I wouldnt have any of the downsides of snus with that low amount, one pack would last me a week and  I wouldn't have cravings. The only problem is that I will always start to consume more and more untill I'm back at almost half a pack or a pack a day.

My question is: Is there any way I could ration my intake? Or is there anythen else I should try? I am in a really bad spot now with my addiction.

Thank you in advance.

• Like 1

Welcome Hunter, in short answer, NO there is no way to ration nicotine. It will always creep back up and you'll always crave for more and more. Either you smoke or you don't there really is no other options....

• Like 7

Welcome, Hunter.

You have something very good going for you...you acknowledge your Nicotine Addiction !

14 hours ago, HunterSTL said:

My question is: Is there any way I could ration my intake? Or is there anythen else I should try? I am in a really bad spot now with my addiction.

Now you must learn everything you can about nicotine addiction and build yourself a successful quit.

NO.  You cannot manage an addiction by feeding the addiction.  Either you feed the addiction or you starve it and free yourself.

The Law of Addiction

How Nicotine Works

and you may find this helpful also,  10 Ways To Effectively Use This Forum To Stop Using Nicotine

• Like 5

19 hours ago, HunterSTL said:

Now I'm at a Point where I would be okay with consuming a moderate amount of snus a day (2 or 3 snus at night). I would not feel bad at night, I wouldnt have any of the downsides of snus with that low amount, one pack would last me a week and  I wouldn't have cravings.

Lies. These are all lies. You know them to be lies. 
You would not "be okay". 
You absolutely would "feel bad at night".
You would have ALL of the downsides of a chronic addiction. 
You would STILL have cravings. 
Your cravings will be WORSE

Your addiction will lie to you up until the day it decides to kill you. 
Don't buy into the lies. 
You're better than that. 

The only problem is that I will always start to consume more and more untill I'm back at almost half a pack or a pack a day.
See how confused you are? 
In one paragraph you rationalize it all and will  "be okay" and then the very next statement is full admission that is most definitely will not be. 
Addiction is irrational and illogical. 
Let your rational, logical, thinking brain win and see the lies of the addiction. 

Absolutely not. 
In fact, you'll be worse off from a craving point of view. 
You'll be worse off from a success point of view. 
You would absolutely fail. 

Just quit. 
You know you want to. 
Just do it and stop trying to find ways around what you know you have to do. 

EZPZ

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

All i know is that a life without smoking involved is kind of great .

I like to stay that way .

I used to smoke whenever i got high or achieved some improvements in my study

But i have stopped that way of life .

I feel really good after avoiding smoking for three plus months

All you need is a bit of time , willpower and patience to avoid the nicotine demon

• Like 7