Health problems and sensations after quitting.

Hi All,

I am hoping for a little support and reassurance. I decided to quit smoking after 12 years of smoking 20 to 30 smokes a day. I was constantly out of breath and generally unhealthily. I used champix to quit, but after 4 weeks of taking champix I was having some tightness of the chest, I stopped taking champix. I have now been smoke free for six months. I still get a lot of discomfort from a tight chest and neck with a constant dry throat. I have been to the doctor who has run blood tests and done an exam and his conclusion is this is withdrawal symptoms. It is extrememly hard to believe this as I constantly feel fatigued and tired and irritable, after reading all the positive things that would happen after quitting and none seem to be happening to me it is very disheartening. Has anyone else experienced this?

• Like 2

Hey Dylan,

It has been 9 months for me smoke free and yes I still feel all same symptoms (from time to time).  I tell myself it is a good thing even though it is annoying, It is good because toxins are leaving your body.  When you smoked it numbed you from all these symptoms, symptoms that we created by smoking!!!   Now smoke free we patiently(lol) wait for our bodies to restore themselves and it does make sense that it would be irritating.  Good news is it gets better and better and if you were just beginning your quit, you would feel how far you have come and that it is getting better.   Hang  in there and look forward to it.  What is happening is normal and you will recover.

• Like 3

Welcome Dylan, congrats on six months quit, that's awesome :) Yes, a lot of us experience what you're going through, I did. The lungs need time to clean out all the gunk from smoking and since it takes usually about a month for the cilia to grow back after quitting they are now hard at work trying to mend. I'm glad you've seen your dr. I would listen to him, they know best. I was also extremely fatigued, try making yourself get up and get moving. These are temporary symptoms from smoking but some of them do seem to linger. But rest assured, quitting is the best gift you could give yourself. And always if in doubt, check it out. Ask your dr for a chest xray or ct scan to not only give you piece of mind but to find anything that a blood test doesn't :) 

• Like 2

Welcome to our site, Dylan, and congratulations on 6 months smoke free.

As Jill and Sammy said, a lot of this is normal.  Recovery from some of these symptoms varies from person to person but I assure you that you are doing the best thing by staying smoke free.  It is great that you went to see a doctor when you were concerned.

Yes, there are great things that happen when you quit but there are stressful things as well.  They will get better with time.

• Like 3

Welcome Dylan. 

If I were you I would ask for a second opinion or a referral. It could be something simple like acid but it could also be something that needs further investigation. 

Were you still smoking when it started?  I only ask because I don't know how long you smoke for with champix. If you were how could it possibly be quit related. 

Congratulations on 6 months quit but please don't try to find a diagnosis for your health on an internet forum. 

• Like 1

Welcome, Dylan! Congrats on your 6 months quit!

I concur with Lilly...I'd definitely get a second opinion. Did your doctor order a lung xray? Or a CT scan? I would push for one or the other, if not both. (A high-res CT scan is the best in terms of being able to see just exactly what is going on with the lungs. But a low-res CT is also a good place to start.) Just to be on the safe side. It's your continued fatigue that worries me.

Everyone is different, and this may very well be quit related. But it's much better to be safe than sorry. Try not to stress, but definitely don't be afraid to advocate for yourself with the doctors. Sometimes they need a little push. (I have an autoimmune disease that causes a TON of problems, and I'm very used to having to push my doctors to give me the appropriate tests!)

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Dylan.Chrysanthou said:

Hi All,

I am hoping for a little support and reassurance. I decided to quit smoking after 12 years of smoking 20 to 30 smokes a day. I was constantly out of breath and generally unhealthily. I used champix to quit, but after 4 weeks of taking champix I was having some tightness of the chest, I stopped taking champix. I have now been smoke free for six months. I still get a lot of discomfort from a tight chest and neck with a constant dry throat. I have been to the doctor who has run blood tests and done an exam and his conclusion is this is withdrawal symptoms. It is extrememly hard to believe this as I constantly feel fatigued and tired and irritable, after reading all the positive things that would happen after quitting and none seem to be happening to me it is very disheartening. Has anyone else experienced this?

Congratulations on your Six Months of Freedom.

Smoking not only caused but, drew a veil over a multitude of physical ailments.

Please consult professionals with your concerns.

Fatigue and irritability are certainly symptoms of quitting smoking and you are quite early in your quit.

These can be mitigated with physical activity and a nourishing diet.

You may find this thread helpful

The Great Smoke Free Mental Fog

Don't succumb to your dishearted-ness, 

you are on an incredible journey by free-ing yourself from nicotine addiction.

Stay focused and remember to reward yourself !

The Significance of Rewards