Aussie Fires

notsmokinjo

All we got yesterday in NSW was a few drops of rain, during the high winds. I hope our luck stays with us here because we have been warned for this coming week.

There are 70 fires still burning in NSW as from 6 hrs ago. Some parts of Canberra are watch and act, but it is expected that it will be a lot calmer today. Fingers crossed.  We have been made aware of the spiders here, and I am wondering if they can scale a 24 feet wall.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

G’day 

Lived for years in the Nth of Sydney which is funnel web central. You have to approach them with a bit of common sense.

They are a bug.

They live on the ground. Everything tries to either eat them or tread on them so they hide.

You just don’t leave anything on the floor. Children just have to learn no to leave thier cloths or towels or shoes on the floor or else the spiders will get you. Works ....great motivator spiders.

Must admit can’t put a shoe on these days without shaking it out.

Like I said they are just a bug. Can’t take out a bear or tiger or lion with a can of insect spray can you but my wife can dispatch one of these buggers with ease.

Takes about 1/2 a can and the poor beggars die of frost bite from the propellant evaporating long before the poison kills them. 

Dogs and cats don’t react to the venom like humans. My animals had a grand time stir one up and it will have a go at you..... they had a ball till the legs fell off their new toy. 

So my job was easy just pick up the leg less or 1/2 frozen carcasses for disposal.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

In a pinch if ya don't have any bug spray you can use extra hold hair spray..spiders are covered in hairs and it freezes them.

Also with the funnel webs they are so easy to catch (listened to the man on Canberra radio explain how to do it) if you see one walking you just put a glass jar in front of it and it will walk straight in.

Never knew they couldn't hurt dogs and cats with their venom. How weird. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Interesting. The only thing I have seen crawling around and hiding is the Ghekko, who loves the indoors. 

ghekko.jpg.7691366e72e972dd45069f4de209cb62.jpg

I have one inside at the moment, but when I first came to NSW I thought they were babies of big Lizards, I had heaps running around. The bloke at the Hardware store laughed his head off, when I was panicking on how to get rid of them before they got bigger.

I found out that Funnel Webs can climb rough surfaces, so I will be checking my garden wall at the back (its high).I have loads of jars so will be leaving some outside today.  I do check my shoes I leave outside every time. 

• Like 5

G’day 

Called them chit chats for as long as I can remember cause of that noise.

Little beggars get caught in the screen door when it closes. What is that smell?

yep another job for Chris. Seems my lot in life is to dispose of anything dead and the spring loaded screen door closer means a paint scraper is required!

I quite like having them around they certainly can clean up some insects attracted by the light on the back verandah. They seam to stick upside down on any surface easily. They are not infallible thought. They have been known to miss their footing when doing the double decker gecko passion tango. The dog used to sleep with one eye open waiting for a passionate pair to drop from the heavens. Happened every now and then but the dog had always fallen asleep by then.....waiting....

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

G’day 

You know in Qld it’s official..... end of the bushfire season.  Done... dusted .... over and out. The bush is soaked and we look at the cyclone season.

Yet Canberra is facing fires once again.

Why.... 

Simple Aussie is a bloody BIG country. The climate changes so much. 

For me to drive to Canberra non stop.... 12 hours from Brisbane.

Drive to Melbourne were Jo is..... 18 hours straight.

Completely the other way....To the tip of cape York 1 day 8 hours.

And that just the east coast.

Like I said Big

• Like 4

It is indeed ...when Nicky goes to Melbourne from Canberra ...she always has a stop over ...

We did alot of miles while I was there ..a good road trip ...and half the the time there is nothing to see at all...

Just road ...and dry land ....but when you reach somewhere ...it's a great place to be ...

Just not as green as good old England !!! 

• Like 2

G’day

Australia is about 11 times bigger than Texas.

Texas is approximately 678,052 sq km, while Australia is approximately 7,741,220 sq km. Meanwhile, the population of Texas is ~25.1 million people (1.9 million fewer people live in Australia. The middle of Texas is in Brisbane.

C355C61E-2DDC-4862-A750-46FE538F9D86.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sazerac said:

lol,

granted Straya is BIG, it's a blooming continent !

and much, much bigger

but, in that map,

half of Texas is sticking out into The Coral/Tasmin Sea,  pardner.

G’day 

well that’s what happens when you move Texas to Brisbane..... they are just going to  learn enjoy the water

Texas...... surfs up......

• Haha 7

38 minutes ago, Cbdave said:

G’day 

well that’s what happens when you move Texas to Brisbane..... they are just going to  learn enjoy the water

Texas...... surfs up......

Still, kinda puny

.image.png.9765dfa2dc273c0863ca146703195051.png

Texas has it's own coastline, that puddle called the Gulf of Mexico.😊

• Haha 5

F40DA855-2B8D-4251-831B-FFE3866CD2F7.thumb.png.e2944c50aad9f23874dc21547fb1011f.pngG’day 

Was too build a barn on a mates place this weekend. Not happening ....he lives at the top of the Mary river. 

Couple of local roads flooded already so with a docs appointment for the wife this arvo have to leave early and go the long way.

But that’s just inconvenient really. Dams are under 50 per cent. This will fill them for sure. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well what a weather change we have experienced in Regional NSW. Cant make it out! After serious fires 3 streets away, and now a mini tornado with roofs ripped off houses, one suburb away. Non stop rain over the last 3 days, and set to continue over the next week. Crazy.

3 hours ago, forestgreen said:

Well what a weather change we have experienced in Regional NSW. Cant make it out! After serious fires 3 streets away, and now a mini tornado with roofs ripped off houses, one suburb away. Non stop rain over the last 3 days, and set to continue over the next week. Crazy.

Be safe foretgreen.  That sounds so unnerving!

• Like 1