Aussie Fires

notsmokinjo

G’day 

Amazing what a bit of rain can do.

pic is the block that burnt and got my brother evacuated from his work. 

The green looks pretty cool on the black trunks.

so Australia is again open for business and I promise the Great Barrier Reef didn’t burn

E24EAC7A-C72F-4269-9C81-CFA1C3B49946.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Busy as a bee with my garden yesterday, transplanted  some cacti and left them out in the rain in tubs. I learnt a lot about Australian "chickens" notsmokinjo very funny. The Ibis look fierce and if you get in their way they are. My husband had a run-in with an Ibis many moons ago 

At last we all seem to be relieved for a while at least. 

• Like 5

Poor Nicky ...

Today Canberra was in chaos....they had a Hailstone storm that lasted 15 mins...

Look at the size of them !!!!....every car outside suffered damage ...I'm sure injuries to people too..

Thankfully Nicky was safe ...this is extreme crazy...

82702964_10156979518077666_8440758261707177984_o.jpg

83105021_10156979536747666_8580310304729071616_o.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Unbelievable weather, we haven't had hail stones in NSW, but we have had a total of one day drizzle rain, and after the drought it apparently  is still not enough to put out some fires in NSW Extreme weather for a very long time or never in some cases.  

In the meantime I am creating new plants while the clouds pour rain (regeneration on the move)

My cacti - I dont have the names I was given these cuttings by others but so far they have had a good soaking. I have never seen the Gray one before, someone might have a name? 

1864841197_2020-01-20006.thumb.jpg.dee3b63582ec82a48b893dbc78d614f1.jpg

Taken with my Iphone

• Like 4

7 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

Wasn't mentioning the hail in Canberra incase Nicky hadn't told @Doreensfree...but she has.

Vic fires got a decent soak. 

Think this thread should be renamed Aussie natural disaster of the day. 

Thank you Jo ..yes I was very concerned ...but she is fine for now !!!.it makes you wonder what else can happen 

• Like 4

Our News here has started not only an outbreak in our extreme weather, from Destructive fires to Outsized hail stones but we now have outbursts of public shame pitched to our politicians who are scrambling over the disaster with promises, which are not clear cut. We do not have any policy as such on climate change, yet our country is so large and as yet not built up enough to bring any statistics to the table. Our forecasts for NSW for the next week, are extreme heat with high winds once again.. Yes it looks like Mother Nature is yelling at someone or something. 

• Sad 3

Well the rain hasn't let up for 12 hours. Hope it's heading north. Rivers are looking a bit high but tide up so hard to judge. Rain knocked out the Ballarat fire (closest to me, but still 1.5hrs away) and it's moving so slow. Hasn't stopped at all. Better get to those drought spots up north.

• Like 5

This is a funnel web being milked to make antivenom....

image.png.bf1af23829eb1fed09e461459740b3b8.png

One of me cousins was bit once, said it was the most painful thing ever. We don't get funnel webs down here in Victoria (please, nobody bother to check this fact and correct me... let me live in my current belief system that they can't cross the boarder from NSW).... we have redbacks though and they frickin hurt... although I'm pretty sure with redbacks the chicks are more venomous than the blokes.

• Sad 3

Not sure what they are reporting overseas but @Doreensfree the Canberra fire has flared back up. Yes they have closed the airport. I have checked the maps and your Nicky is safe where she is. If she is telling you not to worry then all is good. I'm back listening to the Canberra radio and will keep you posted.

Saddly, 3 US firefighters lost their lives today when the plane they were waterbombing in crashed. Coming halfway across the world to help us to make the ultimate, that's a hero.

• Sad 4