Ripper Reads for Kids

notsmokinjo

So with @Boo building a bookcase for BB and me doing a tidy up of the kids books with the view to sending some to the Salvos...(Salvation Army)..I got thinking what books, in your opinion are a must for kids...and why.

It might be something you remember from your childhood...or something you read to you kids or grandkids.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Amazing Babes by Eliza Sarkis

This is a new one (2012) and was written by a mother for her son for his first birthday....it's a basic picture book that features amazing and inspirational women from all over the world... It starts with the sentence "as I grow...." Then each double page spread has an illustration of the person and a quality they had....ie

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQEPEWMgr2wI-cE2w8tvuO

Then at the end there is a little paragraph about eat babe and why she was amazing....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcmRw0juqReUDLJj9abuG

There activists, there are inventors, there are artist's and the kid lived it, but so does my nephew.

• Like 2

Added a few more books to the collection: 

Harold and the Purple Crayon (Rozuki recommended this one in the other thread).

The Little Engine that Could.

Here We Are: Notes for Living on Planet Earth.  This is the most contemporary book we've purchased.  I wasn't familiar with Oliver Jeffers, but I really like the story and artwork in this one.

And last but not least, two more books by Shel Silverstein: A Giraffe and a Half and The Giving Tree.  Eventually the kid is going to be the proud owner of the entire Silverstein collection.

• Like 5

The kid had a book called Zoo Poo... toilet training book...I think it was just saying poo that was the fun bit..but it was super cute.

She so had a picture book that came with a CD of the song and it was amazing pictures and the words were the lyrics of the Dylan song Man named all the animals...she did spend a month or so saying "in a beginning" at the end of every sentence.

Robert Sabuda's...anything...12 days of Christmas or any of his other pop up books...Believe is a really good one..all about believing in yourself and making your dreams come true.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

With @Boo's new reading list thought this thread could have a rehash...

Any of the Lynley Dodd books...especially...Hairy McLary from Donaldson's Dairy....Slinky Malinky ...and Caterwaul Capers.

Bamboozled....this is brilliant.

Goodnight Me

We're Going On A Bear Hunt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2020 at 8:02 AM, notsmokinjo said:

With @Boo's new reading list thought this thread could have a rehash...

Maddie has a couple of pop-up books in the rotation already: "Pop-Up Peekaboo!" and "Fun with Pets" are a couple of her favorites.

My sister, well aware of my fascination with stop-motion animation and those old Rankin-Bass Christmas specials, brought a gift by the house on Friday night.  "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" the pop-up book.  She explained: "I bought it for Maddie, but I knew you would enjoy it too."  She wasn't wrong.

image.png.b52ed7bd21e9e45c765a97019428b95e.png

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I think those Rankin-Bass chrissy specials just summed up our childhood Christmases. I remember wondering why they would all be mean to the fat fellow and call him the "Burger Master" that was just nasty... lol.

Oh if you can find it there is a ripper British kids book called Roger Bandy... about a dog family who adopt a stray human.

Any of the Graeme Bass Animalia books... they start just being awesome pictures but as Maddie ages there is the treasure hunt and then there is the code breaking.

OH and all kids need to explore science... why not grab a copy of Mr Archimedes' Bath... and teach Maddie all about Archimedes' Principle. It even features a goat.

image.png.82442178c7623504fb9450f7941b5007.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1