Contact every day.

mightyboosh

Mrs boosh still smokes and is disabled so can't get out unless I take her. Therefore I buy her cigs everyday but you know what? It doesn't bother me. I do feel a bit smug about that so apologies. I hate smug people.

I'm very aware of the pride before a fall thing so I'm always on guard. I have my previous seven year quit (1997 - 2004) to thank for that. What an idiot!

Is anyone else in a similar position? Not necessarily smug but having contact with cigs that is unavoidable.

• Like 4

My hubby is a never smoker so I'm lucky to not have that problem. I have a ton of respect though for you guys who can quit and stay quit with a smoker in the house. You're doing great Phil :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hey Mighty One,

I am so glad to hear your quit is going so well !

I have no experience with 'contact every day' other than the general public smokers I daily walk by, feeling compassion for them

and incredibly grateful that I quit and haven't the tiniest shard of a crave or trigger to smoke. Time is our friend, in this case.

Here are some resources from our friend, Joel Spitzer, that addresses this issue

How Can I Quit If I Live With A Smoker

I understand that many of the points he brings up are not applicable to you.

I just hope by posting, others with similar circumstances will benefit.

• Thanks 1

I often stand outside with my Sister while she smokes, or when  she hangs out of her bedroom window having one, I will sit on her bed and chat to her. The smell irritates me, and I am not in the slightest bit envious of her smoking. Quite the opposite, I wish she would stop. It bugs me what she is doing to herself, but I don't nag or preach lol.

• Like 5

My wife smokes. Saturday we went shopping and while she stood outside the truck to smoke one before leaving the store I had a whiff that was to die for. Usually it’s the opposite but I had to totally walk away while she finished. Crazy...that was the most I’ve wanted one in months. 

• Like 6

Once upon a time in the west I was married to a lady that kept smoking after I had quit. I had no problem with it until things got bad and we divorced. Then I went back to smoking for a long time. Makes no sense to me now. I look back and wonder why I did this. It was so tough to quit. Why throw it away?

• Like 6

You are doing great, Phil.  I was lucky in that I really didn't have many smokers around me at all when I quit.  Keep up the great work.  Hopefully Mrs. Boosh is inspired by how well you are doing and decides to quit the cigs too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have daily contact with smokers and almost daily contact with cigarettes themselves. My in-laws live upstairs from us, and they both smoke. They leave packs of cigarettes everywhere. I often find them in the garage or on the patio table by the pool. For many months, just the sight of them was enough to trigger me. They don't bother me anymore. Thank goodness!

• Like 7