Hello from a mostly happy quitter

Luckyquitter

Quitting for the hundredth time after 20 year love/hate relationship with cigarettes.  I smoked a pack daily and lately I was smoking without even noticing sometimes.  I was smoking with a quickness and where sometimes I would want more and more and it never seemed enough until it just was too much.  If I felt I could be completely accepted as a smoker and I had unlimited funds and immortal health, I would never quit.  But I don’t have those options and I had to quit.  I had to keep trying.  I now have 35 days of freedom!  

The place I like to post a little and lurk a lot is closing.  I find myself looking for a new home.  It has been beneficial to me in the past to stay connected on these type of forums.  Helping others is so rewarding to me and I need help to keep quit for good!!!!  I need support and to feel like my quit matters.  

I don’t even remember my last Quit that lasted this long, it has been at least four years or longer.  I am feeling happy and very few craves now...but have my moments and rough days like everyone else.  I hope I can learn from you all and encourage others in keeping their quits with me. 

Edited by Luckyquitter
  • Like 5

Lucky,

I am only 15 days ahead of you in my quit and I haven't felt this good about myself in a long time.  I feel a sense of accomplishment and pride that I have been able to do something this substantial for myself.  Just yesterday I had a strong urge to buy a pack but I remembered how much more I am able to do at the gym, how much money I have saved (the ticker on this site is a great motivator), and how much encouragement the people on this site have given me.  The problem we all deal with is that in some way we are all still "smokers" and will always be; however, we are "smokers" who choose not to smoke.  The desire will always be with us because it is a part of us.  It is something we didn't just experiment with, we are addicts.  These words sound discouraging, but to me they are the opposite.  Everyday you beat the addiction, you are stronger.   

cd8cea85004f8be7b292e64791638534afafd2de

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations on your quit, @Luckyquitter and welcome to the QTrain.

The most important thing you can do to build a successful quit is to learn all you can about addiction.

When you do, I bet the fantasy you harbor about being able to quit with no consequences will evaporate.

Who would choose slavery over freedom ? and slavery to Big Tobacco is particularly onerous.

You may find this thread helpful

10 Ways To Effectively Use This Forum To Stop Using Nicotine

• Like 3

Welcome luckyquitter and congratulations on taking back your life. We have a great group here so you'll be able to get as much support as you need or want :)

Be sure to check out all our various forums, there's lots to do here to educate yourself or help keep your mind off smoking :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old Man Coffee said:

Lucky,

I am only 15 days ahead of you in my quit and I haven't felt this good about myself in a long time.  I feel a sense of accomplishment and pride that I have been able to do something this substantial for myself.  Just yesterday I had a strong urge to buy a pack but I remembered how much more I am able to do at the gym, how much money I have saved (the ticker on this site is a great motivator), and how much encouragement the people on this site have given me.  The problem we all deal with is that in some way we are all still "smokers" and will always be; however, we are "smokers" who choose not to smoke.  The desire will always be with us because it is a part of us.  It is something we didn't just experiment with, we are addicts.  These words sound discouraging, but to me they are the opposite.  Everyday you beat the addiction, you are stronger.   

cd8cea85004f8be7b292e64791638534afafd2de

To hear this from a new quitter is v. inspiring to me and the best part of hanging out here, watching the beautiful transformations.

Because acknowledgement of addiction is seminal to a successful quit, 

to see you, @Old Man Coffee,  understand that addiction 'will always be with us' 

and begin to reap the benefits of your freedom shows what a successful quit you are building.  Kuddos ! A zillion kuddos.

The desire will fade and fade and fade as each crave/trigger is conquered but, we must always understand that addiction can be re-ignited with one puff.

" It is something we didn't just experiment with, we are addicts.  These words sound discouraging, but to me they are the opposite"

The empowerment bestowed by putting our addiction to sleep is extremely encouraging.

Thank you for the great post, Old Man Coffee.

• Like 1

I feel through my many quits I have learned a lot and this quit especially...of course there are days I count my blessings and feel free and others where I still feel deprived or incomplete in some way.  I do think the only thing I can do is repeat NOPE and ODAAT and know I am on this journey for a reason, for many.  I love that I’ve been able to stay quit this long, but I do feel like an ex smoker or quitter, not a non smoker yet.  Thank you for the welcomes 😍

Edited by Luckyquitter
  • Like 3