Keeping Your Quit During the Holiday Season

abbynormal

The holidays can be a stressful time, especially for newer quitters trying desperately to hold onto their precious quits. I am about to face my first Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year as a non-smoker, and I'm planning ahead in order to STAY a non-smoker! The following article has some great tips for surviving the holidays smoke-free:

https://www.verywellmind.com/smoke-free-holiday-tips-2824909

My biggest trigger during the holidays is sensory overload from all the noise and chaos of family gatherings, so I plan to find a quiet space for myself any time I feel overwhelmed and do some deep breathing exercises. I also plan to avoid the front porch, where the smokers in the family will gather. I'm going to stay inside where it's warm!

How do you plan to handle your triggers during the holidays?

Long-time quitters, what advice would you give us newbies on keeping our quits during the holiday season?

• Like 6

1 minute ago, abbynormal said:

I just saw that @Lust4Life posted something very similar! I'm sorry for the repeat. I can't figure out how to delete this post!

No need to delete the post.  The holidays can be a stressful time and it is good to have a lot of information about keeping the quit during them.

It sounds simple but really NOPE is the way to go.  Make sure that you realize that nothing is worth blowing a quit over and do whatever you need to keep your quit and never taking another puff. 

It may involve avoiding alcohol if you are in stressful situations where drinks are available.  I would definitely advise this early on in your quit.

It may involve going into gatherings with relatives that you know you clash with by having the attitude that nothing they will do will lead you to smoking.  You will not let them have that control over you.

Families are a beautiful but stressful thing.  Most of my family is somewhat normal but there are plenty of clashes and alliances when the whole family gets together. 

The one group that really stresses me out is one set of grandparents that are in their early 90's but have always been very manipulate, controlling, and deceitful.  I had a big falling out with them a few months into my quit and I thought really hard about lighting up.  I decided that I was not going to let them have that type of control over me.  In fact, I was so angry with them that I refused to let the have that control over me.

If there are relatives that go out of their way to piss you off, use that anger and stress to strengthen your quit.  Promise yourself that you will not let them have that control over you.

Quitting smoking is all about gaining control of your life back anyway.

• Like 9

Nothing, Nobody, No situation, No cray, Not even my inner addict

is going to overpower me and bring a cigarette to my lips ever again.

Those days are OVER.  I Don't Smoke.

Clothe yourselves in the armor of NOPE and celebrate your Freedom.

When family gets too much, go outside and breathe your beautiful clean breaths.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sazerac said:

Nothing, Nobody, No situation, No cray, Not even my inner addict

is going to overpower me and bring a cigarette to my lips ever again.

Those days are OVER.  I Don't Smoke.

Clothe yourselves in the armor of NOPE and celebrate your Freedom.

When family gets too much, go outside and breathe your beautiful clean breaths.

That says it all for me too!

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

Our Thanksgiving and Christmas may look different than past ones because of the pandemic but the clues given to keep your quit remain the same. 

Please add your clues that helped you keep your quit during the holidays. And please, everyone, stay safe and smoke and nicotine free. 🤗

• Like 5

I got by doing crafts, keeping my hands busy by making things like sock snowmen and my own christmas cards, knitting , sewing, jigsaws. Take up a new hobby .

and................................... there are some lovely  festive treats to eat ! Yummy ....Yes I ate quite a bit.. shhhhhhhh (better than smoking)

• Like 3

Keep looking to the future.

Realize that once you confront most of your holidays triggers in your first year, the rest of the holiday seasons in the coming years will be very much more easier to handle.

You really have to do this only once.

Cristóbal

• Like 4