Looking back..

MLMR

If it wasnt for quitting smoking, I wouldnt have been...

• gradually, over the past year, deep cleaning my house to the point where I feel at home and at ease again
• succesfully negotiating my job position and salary
• taking up yoga classes (and even liking them)
• saving money for a piano ánd being able to deal with some unexpected financial surprises
• picking up writing again
• losing 22 lbs
• re-doing my bedroom

And on a more subtle, but very meaningful level:
• accepting and adjusting to some major changes in my personal life
• coming to a new understanding with anxiety
• learning to say 'I need some time. Let me get back at that'.
• learning to be less (self)judgemental
• slowly gaining back some concentration, which I use to read. Thats major, after years of depression and fighting for my sanity.

The other day I ran into someone I havent talked to in a long time. She said these unforgettable words: 'its like you are more at peace now, not being haunted by some invisible raging inner critic'. And thats exactly how it is!

At the time it all seemed to go sooo veeeeerryyyyy sloooow. I nearly lost patience and kept complaining about the time it took for the patterns to, well, die. I clearly remember my desperation at smokey thoughts: "does this ever stop?!". And now I am almost three months into my second year and Im able to look back at that time, with nothing less than satisfaction and an insane amount of gratitude.

To the hero strugglers, keep going. You will feel better at some point, you will get there. Every day done and dusted is another promis for change. Thoughts about smoking will diminish, unrest will settle and you will find ways to give different meaning to whatever personal issues this addiction forces you to work with.

It is doable and more than worth it, for me as well as for you!

Looking-Back.jpg

Edited by MLMR
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

And you know what, maybe I didnt even mention the biggest change: I DO stuff! Like getting up early to take walks, going to movies, taking my mom to places, visiting friends more than I used to, facing sh*t instead of hiding ... somehow life isnt passing me by anymore. 😱

• Like 6

Being honest with yourself.  Setting a goal and accomplishing it.  Learning how to be comfortable with being uncomfortable.  Recognizing the value of patience over instant gratification.  These are all skills necessary to successfully quit smoking and skills that will serve you well in every area of your life.

Quitting smoking is a great choice in and of itself.  Quitting smoking will also prove to be a catalyst for positive change in areas seemingly unrelated to quitting smoking.

Great post MLMR.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful post, M.

It has been astounding watching your journey and reading your posts.

We are so lucky you found us and have shared so much of yourself here.

You quit smoking....and the residual effects will continue to reveal themselves.

The honesty involved affects everything and the trust we earn in ourselves shines a light on everything we do.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@d2e8b8, I do 5:2 intermittent fasting. 

(https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/the-5-2-diet-guide)

Basically you eat normal for 5 days and mimic fasting for 2 days. On fasting days you consume a restricted amount of calories: max 500 kcal women, 600 kcal for men. Apart from the apparant health benefits (https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-health-benefits-of-intermittent-fasting#section1) its supposed to help you lose weight. Well, I clearly do. :)

Most of the time i find it easy to do. I expected to be binge eating on regular days, but its actually the opposite, Im less hungry and tend to make healthier food choices, without the feeling of depriving myself. 

Edited by MLMR
  • Like 3

Its definitely doable @Linda Thomas Just Make sure you get your elektrolytes, in order to prevent a headache.

On a 5:2 day I usually skip breakfast (also on non-fasting days now) and then have a simple salad or some pre-steamed vegetables for lunch. Dinner is often more veggies, these days mostly roasted pumpkin, zucchini, onion etc. Often with salmon or chicken. 

On regular days I really dont mind kcals, but to my huge surprise Im not as hungry or craving for mindlessly putting eatable things in my mouth as I was before. I can have my wine and beer like I used to and I still bake with  butter. In general Im a lot less ocupied with food and I really love that! 

Edited by MLMR
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, MLMR said:

Its definitely doable @Linda Thomas Just Make sure you get your elektrolytes, in order to prevent a headache.

I am definitely trying this.  I think my husband will do well with this also.  He has to have knee replacement in January, after he retires.  I think he would do better with the surgery if he loses some weight.

I will keep you up on our progress.

• Like 4