14 days in

TIGERMATT

So I came upon this website while googling about brain fog while quitting smoking and I've been lurking for about  3 days or so. I originally quit on 10/6/2019 and went through the withdrawals and fought like hell but ended up  relapsing on 10/31/2019, I smoked half a pack of cigs in about 3 1/2 hours while handing out candy on Halloween. Here I am, 14 days later with no cigarettes fighting the withdrawals again but I think im at a point of just having anxiety and stress. I have found this website and these forums very helpful over the last few days and just figured  I would drop in and stop lurking.

• Like 11

Welcome aboard our train tigermatt and congratulations on two weeks smoke free :) I too was a lurker that found my first, now defunct, forum by googling my quit symptoms and signing up was the best thing I ever did. I am convinced that without the support of others who knew what I was going through at any given stage, I would not have succeeded.

You will get as much support as you need or want here. We also have lots to do here to help keep your mind busy. From educating topics to our social section, there is tons of great stuff here. 

So again welcome, you're doing great! :)

• Like 5

Welcome, TigerMatt! You will find all the support you want/need here...I suggest to read everything you can here and watch the Joel videos. I am sure others will be along to post some great site links for you! Buckle in and enjoy the ride! 😎

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TIGERMATT said:

So I came upon this website while googling about brain fog while quitting smoking 

Welcome, Tigermatt to our merry little band of quitters.

Here is a post about 

The Great Smoke Free Mental Fog

Let us know how you are feeling and we can point you to materials that will help you build a sturdy and successful quit.

• Like 5

On 11/15/2019 at 12:00 AM, TIGERMATT said:

So I came upon this website while googling about brain fog while quitting smoking

This is exactly how I found this forum.  I could not concentrate on anything at work before lunchtime.  This was mainly because I would smoke at least five cigarettes before work.

On 11/15/2019 at 12:00 AM, TIGERMATT said:

I have found this website and these forums very helpful over the last few days

This has helped me out so much as well.  Just to know that the things you are going through are shared by so many people who have had success in quitting is very comforting.  Also, the idea that NOPE is non-negotiable is a great motivator to not slip.  You are a non-smoker now! 

Edited by Old Man Coffee
  • Like 5

Hey, @TIGERMATT! I'm glad you decided to stop lurking and join us. I'm also very glad to hear you have 21 days of freedom! I'm sorry you have the flu. I hope you get over it quickly. It sucks to get sick when you are trying so hard to do healthy things for yourself. At least you aren't smoking and making your illness worse!

The anxiety will lessen over time. I have anxiety disorder, and after the first few weeks I noticed that suddenly my overall level of anxiety had DECREASED dramatically. I was no longer in the craving/withdrawal cycle, and that left me in a very pleasant state of calm. (Most of the time, anyway. With anxiety disorder my anxiety levels always run higher than those without the disorder, but I don't have nicotine cravings adding to it anymore!)

I won't ever add nicotine back into the equation again. I value my state of calm too much to start that up again. 😄

You'll get there. Your brain is still adjusting. But I bet within the next couple of weeks you start to notice a difference.

• Like 4

Congratulations on three weeks quit tigermatt, sorry you're sicken 😞 Another perk of quitting is that not only do I get way fewer colds but when I do get one I mend much faster than when I smoked. Hopefully you'll find the same to be true for you :)

• Like 3

You are doing great @TIGERMATT

hope you are feeling a whole lot better.  

As a smoker, my colds/flu would always degenerate into bronchitis. 

Ever since I quit, bronchitis doesn't manifest and my colds are not anywhere near as gnarly as they were as a smoker. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TIGERMATT said:

Welp made it to 30 days then I had 2 cigarettes this past Saturday on day 30. Gotta keep pushing along 

Well don't ever give up TIGERMATT!  Next time give us an SOS before you smoke.  We will be there to talk you out of it.  If worse comes to worse,  we have Doreen that will smack you with her frying pan.  You can do this.  You just have to push past those craves.  

• Like 2

What made you throw away a 30 day quit ?

Did you think a cigarette would fix something or give you an 'ahhh' moment ?

Change your quit date to acknowledge your new quit and have a think about why you relapsed, why you made the choice to smoke.

Educate yourself about nicotine addiction, you need to have these resources at your fingertips.

Good for you for getting back on a quit asap.  This is exactly the right move.

Think about what our friend, Sirius, asks,

"The next time a craving plunks down on your face ask yourself, "What price you are willing to pay to own yourself?"

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sazerac said:

What made you throw away a 30 day quit ?

Did you think a cigarette would fix something or give you an 'ahhh' moment ?

Change your quit date to acknowledge your new quit and have a think about why you relapsed, why you made the choice to smoke.

Educate yourself about nicotine addiction, you need to have these resources at your fingertips.

Good for you for getting back on a quit asap.  This is exactly the right move.

Think about what our friend, Sirius, asks,

"The next time a craving plunks down on your face ask yourself, "What price you are willing to pay to own yourself?"

Not sure why I threw it away, only things I can think of is food, football and beer. All of which were going on on Saturday and those are the times I remember smoking the most.

Edited by TIGERMATT
  • Like 1

Should I Reset My Quit Meter ?

Yes.  This not only holds you accountable to yourself it helps us to know where you are in your quit and provide appropriate information.

I Know I Will Quit Again

Some people don't get the chance to quit again.  We are dealing with life and death.

Get Right Back In The Saddle

Is Relapsing On Nicotine A Good Learning Experience ?

The point that runs through all these videos is to take your quit seriously, take your life seriously.

Being cavalier about relapse is incredibly dangerous.

There Is No Legitimate Reason For Relapse

Considering your previous relapse on Halloween and now, this current relapse, I hope you take time and avail yourself of these resources.

We all want to see you build a successful quit, Matt. 

Let us know how you are and stay current with us.

I'm more afraid of slipping up when I'm out having a good time then I am of slipping because of stress, anxiety, or sadness.  One thing I have done so far in my quit is when I'm out with my friends who smoke, I tell them right away to not give one to me if I ask no matter what.  Luckily, I have not been tempted, but I am scared that too many drinks one evening might cause me to let my guard down.  

Edited by Old Man Coffee
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Old Man Coffee said:

I'm more afraid of slipping up when I'm out having a good time then I am of slipping because of stress, anxiety, or sadness.  One thing I have done so far in my quit is when I'm out with my friends who smoke, I tell them right away to not give one to me if I ask no matter what.  Luckily, I have not been tempted, but I am scared that too many drinks one evening might cause me to let my guard down.  

Drinking alcohol is responsible for many a relapse.

I would re-engrave NOPE on my brain any time I went out drinking.

In fact, early in my quit, I refrained from drinking and was slightly concerned that I would blow my quit if high.

Then, I just said, 'screw it,  I'm NOT going to smoke EVER again'

and went out, had a ball and didn't even think about smoking.

Don't depend on your friends to not provide you with a smoke.  There will always be someone handing you one somewhere.

Smokers, addicts, LOVE company.

Fortify yourself and wrap yourself in the armour of NOPE.  With this cloak you can go anywhere and keep your quit.

• Like 3