Joined Lurker

Steve63

Hi everyone ,

I am 56 and have been a smoker for 40 years ending up on 40 a day ! I have tried a few quits over the last 15 years or so and i know the only rule is NOPE - break that rule and normally wait another number of years before trying again .

I quit 27 days ago and "romanced just the one" ,17 day quit lost . I was sitting there feeling stupid and ill with a chain smoked half packet - trashed the packet reset my meter and here I am . It has been

quite tough as I managed to regain my quit but the "just one - you've done it before this time " feeling is strong , but my resolve feels realy good and i really understand my near miss with smoking again.

I have re-visited Joel's lessons - and my weakness is no excuse but I have forgiven myself 🙂 . I promise to post an SOS  - my relapses have always been premeditated in a strange way .

Everyone on here is inspirational .

KTQ - Steve

• Like 7

Welcome aboard Steve! And well done! I know all to well how it all feels.. and I have fallen so many times before. And the only way that works for me is to talk about it. Get it out.. don't let the addiction fester and grow into a relapse.

Take care of yourself. Walk, eat healthy meals, shower, get a good nights sleep.. dance and sing (or shout..) a lot! 

Don't be ashamed, there is nothing to be ashamed about. You are an addict that made the right choice like all of us here. 

We are happy to have you here Steve!

• Like 5

Welcome Steve,

I lurked for the first 10 months of my quit and used that time to educate myself about nicotine addiction.

It was and remains eye opening and a process that continues even with a six year quit.

The knowledge must be assimilated completely.  This empowers a successful quit.

We must recognize junkie thoughts and Red Flags and shut them down Immediately !

Relapses are always premeditated.  Only you bring that cigarette to your lips and make the choice to breath in poison, it never just magically appears.

Understanding NOPE, committing to NOPE and standing by that commitment is the only way to break the bondage.

Keep watching our friend, Joel Spitzer's Video Index.  Watch them over and over and over and read all the information here until your eyes bleed.

Stay honest with yourself and save your life.  Keep close here, the more involved you are in your quit, the less likely failure.

Congratulations on your quit, Steve, build it with knowledge and commitment and truth.  You will succeed.

S

• Like 4

Welcome! and congrats. 

I totally understand where you are and where you are coming from. I still have moments where I romance smoking, but I am working on it. I think our quits are a daily sometimes hourly journey with the good and bad and bumps in the road, but do not take a puff no matter what will get you to the next day.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, HeatherDianne said:

Welcome! and congrats. 

I totally understand where you are and where you are coming from. I still have moments where I romance smoking, but I am working on it. I think our quits are a daily sometimes hourly journey with the good and bad and bumps in the road, but do not take a puff no matter what will get you to the next day.

We need to be RUTHLESS in rooting out junkie thoughts (romance ugh).

Don't let your brain finish the thought, interrupt it by looking or thinking of something of Beauty.

This will give you a bump of endorphins.

Before I got to 'the beauty' part, I would yell,  FREE YOUR HEAD !!! or FREE YOUR (expletive, expletive) HEAD.

You have to break up the thought pattern and be merciless about it.

Soon, they will fade as your brain receptors are reclaimed from the tyranny of nicotine.

• Like 4

Welcome aboard, Steve.  Quitting smoking is a great thing to do and I am happy that you decided to join us.

There is a lot of support and knowledge that you can get here to help you stay quit for good so please feel free to reach out and participate as much as you need.

It is good to have you here.

• Like 4

Welcome, Steve, and good job getting right back on your quit.  I understand the premeditated relapse.  Early on I would often plot a weekend relapse on Friday afternoon at work but somehow always managed to just barely talk myself out of stopping for cigs on the drive home. When I finally completely took the option of smoking off the table and stopped (most of) the arguments in my head, the quit became easier.  You're well on your way again with about 10 days in, so keep the momentum and don't give yourself permission to turn back now.  

• Like 5

Welcome again Steve, relapse is something most of us had to go through before we got it through our heads that there is no 'just one'. I'm convinced though that it was joining a forum and being around others who knew what I was going through that made this time successful.

You are surrounded by people who can help you at just about every stage of your quit. :)

• Like 4

Welcome aboard Steve,

Congratulations on your great quit ....

Read ,read and read again ....that romancing the cigerette...is just junkie thinking ...

Once you have it firmly in place ....it's just a roll of poison that is killing you  very slowly ...

You may find it easier ....

Take smoking off the table ....no matter what .....

Stay close to the board ...it does help .....and yes post SOS if you need us...

• Like 4

Welcome Steve.  I smoked for 42 years and never thought I could quit.  There is something magical about this forum.  The support I received here helped me make it to the finish line.  

The first week is the most difficult and then it is a matter of changing your thinking.  Learn to power yourself through the craves and you will find you will get stronger and stronger.  

So let's keep this quit going because life improves so much after quitting.  Stay close to the forum and shout out when you need us.  We are here for you!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Steve63 said:

Thanks everyone for the great welcome 👍

We know what is in store for you after the initial turbulence....the power of freedom and a sincere trust in yourself, self confidence, the ability to change !

The gifts that dealing with nicotine addiction bring are many and we are excited to watch you succeed.  It is a real thrill to see the free person emerge.

• Like 2