Um...Notsmokinjo wot the hell does .... mean

notsmokinjo

Considering I type how I speak an I speak Strayn (aka Strine)....ask if me jibberish makes no bloody sense an I'll learn ya real good.

You will need it peeps, for when Straya takes over the world... You've bin warned...it's commin'...we already have hollywood and Asgard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

True or false: giving someone the thumbs up sign down under is the same as telling them "up yours."

I've got a lot of thumbs up memes I use in the celebration thread, but I'm not looking to pick a fight with an entire continent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

45 minutes ago, Boo said:

True or false: giving someone the thumbs up sign down under is the same as telling them "up yours."

^False...🤣🤣.. "Thumbs up"... Is good, well done, goodonya....use ya memes without fear. 

Did some Aussie tell ya that?...cos they were probably just havin a lend of ya...cos that's pretty funny.....although until we got flooded with yanky tv shows in the 80s the 2 fingered salute (ala the poms at Agincourt) was the preferred offensive hand gesture...even as a little tacker I knew that was bad (the reverse V for victory) but I remember wondering what was so bad about the single finger.. then in 90s they were interchangeable...but now the one finger is the more common....which I get, we are essentially lazy so one finger is easier than 2. 

Just remember....this is the country where we call our mates cvnts and people we hate mate ....so if you were confident in ya friendship you could use the up yours finger an be cherries anyway.

Edited by notsmokinjo
Had to check in a history lesson
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Boo said:

Aw Geez.  I thought all those people were complimenting my driving.  Do you think my husband knows that.  I always tell him that I am the better driver because I get so many thumbs up.

Look out @Boo I am headed your way!

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

12 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

Hey @Boo you sure they didn't say the peace sign was the up yours...cos that's kinda true...if you give the peace sign down here but with the back or your hand facing out that's the same as flipping someone the bird...

I vaguely remember when George H.W. Bush was our president and he inadvertently flipped off a bunch of Aussies on an official state visit down under.  He was flashing the "V-sign" unaware of what that meant in Australia.

It's probably a bit like the telephone game.  Someone said the peace sign means "up yours" and somewhere along the line of communication somebody confused the hand gestures.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, notsmokinjo said:

Down here the telephone game is called Chinese Whispers.

Yep George HW pissed us off with his up yours....but he pissed the Japs off more by chundering on their pm.

I think I just learned a new strine word! :)

tenor.gif

• Haha 5

I would LOVE for Australia to take over the world right now.  I would even consider taking a bite of that vegemite stuff.  And then puke like the image @Rozuki used.  Sidebar- i should probably learn how to insert the gifs and memes and stuff other than emojis :)   If not for the laws of physics and what not- I would gladly have my toilet water flush the other way.  If Australia took over the world and dropped their infamously GIGANTIC spiders on us all- I would scream expletives and take cover- but I would welcome the new world order. 

• Haha 5

5 hours ago, Lust4Life said:

If Australia took over the world and dropped their infamously GIGANTIC spiders on us all- I would scream expletives and take cover- but I would welcome the new world order. 

I have a cunning plan...courtesy of my first trimester quit insanity/insomnia...and it doesn't even require spiders, or snakes, or drop bears 😉

Oh and I wouldn't be dissin Vegemite, it's grouse as, you'll soon be eating it for breakfast, lunch and tea...and you'll be happy about it!

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

• 5 months later...

On 10/9/2019 at 2:57 PM, Doreensfree said:

I'm going to need a interpreter....I feel it ....I'll be sitting there with my mouth gaping....

In the UK as they call things "Bloody", so during the OJ trial, did UK'ers talk about the "bloody bloody glove"?

On 10/9/2019 at 9:52 AM, notsmokinjo said:

Considering I type how I speak an I speak Strayn (aka Strine)....ask if me jibberish makes no bloody sense an I'll learn ya real good.

You will need it peeps, for when Straya takes over the world... You've bin warned...it's commin'...we already have hollywood and Asgard.

It is madness, They already have a restaurant here called "Outback" and the narrator has this Australian accent.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

So this is a pre-emptive post.... tippin that the country that bought you the word "selfie" will be adding to global vocab soonah rahvar than laytar....

8 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

Aussie corona slang.jpga

I'm definitely stealing Magpie.  It's about 6:15 am here and I'm getting ready to go shovel my SUV out of a couple feet of snow in below freezing temps to get to the store when it opens at 7 (hopefully after overnight restocking) to see if I can find some supplies before the feckin Magpies swoop in and clear the shelves again. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

• 3 weeks later...

Iso & Quarry are kinda here to stay I reckon. My brother and his mates have their kids running an iso Olympics.

So the poor supermarket workers are copping a fair wake of verbal so they are a but fragile at the moment....last time I was down the shops the checkout chick burst into tears when the old bloke in front of me said "Thanks darl" as he left. Now here I am thinking it was happy tears cos someone was nice to her...yeah nah it was a language/cultural/accent issue. Being me I ask her if she's alright. She says it's too much she is sick of everyone being racist to her all the time. (Huh??)...yes all the time men and women are being racist to her and calling her "Darl"....huh?, How the fruck is calling someone darling (darl) racist...I do it all the frickin time...so I tell her 'i don't think they mean to be racist, they are just saying thank you'...."but just because I am indian why do they have to call me Darl"....an then I jerried....when an aussie says Darl it sounds like Dahl....so trying not to laugh I say....'yeah-nah they aren't calling you Dahl....they are calling you darrrrl...short for Darling...if they wanted to be racists an nasty they'd call you curry muncher. Girls and boys will both say it to you...sometimes ladies will say thanks love or thanks sweetie too. It's just that we don't say r properly."

An yep as I walked off...thanks Darl. But at least she smiled this time.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

Being me I ask her if she's alright. She says it's too much she is sick of everyone being racist to her all the time. (Huh??)...yes all the time men and women are being racist to her and calling her "Darl"....huh?, How the fruck is calling someone darling (darl) racist...I do it all the frickin time...so I tell her 'i don't think they mean to be racist, they are just saying thank you'...."but just because I am indian why do they have to call me Darl"....an then I jerried....when an aussie says Darl it sounds like Dahl....so trying not to laugh I say....'yeah-nah they aren't calling you Dahl....they are calling you darrrrl...short for Darling...

We had a similar situation here in Tennessee a few years ago.  A man referred to an Indian store owner as "chief."  The store owner assumed there was some racist connotation to it.  Locals explained that men around here will often refer to other men they don't know as "chief", "big guy", or "boss man" just to name a few.  I'm a white guy, very white in fact, and I've been called "chief" many times by many different men.  Learning a new language is tough enough.  Making sense of regional eccentricities adds a degree of difficulty to the process.

Also worth mentioning, if you're a man and come down South some older women will refer to you as "darling" or "honey."  They're probably not flirting with you, that's just how they greet you.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Boo said:

Also worth mentioning, if you're a man and come down South some older women will refer to you as "darling" or "honey."  They're probably not flirting with you, that's just how they greet you.

(ahem)  I was calling everybody honey, baby, sugar, darling, doll from a very young age, mister boo.

When we (Southern Older Women) use, 'Sugar darling' or 'Honey Man' you can be confident that we they have seduction in mind.

• Haha 4