The first step

Vivianne

Hello all,

So hardest post of all (at least I think it is..), my introduction post. 
Let's do some statistics first ;)
Female, 42 years old - will turn 43 on the 25th of October, living in The Netherlands, mom of one daughter who is almost 18, pet owner (1 dog and 3 cats), php/html programmer, autistic/adhd and
been smoking on and off ever since the age of 16... 
The last time I quit was in 2017 and it lasted 9 months. I relapsed after a difficult break up.

I am fed up with my cigarette addiction... really really done...
I know how to quit (it's quite simple, just don't start) - but I need a support system like a forum the first months to vent, motivate myself (and others) and just get through the extra time (which seems to be a lot the first weeks) that you get if you leave the cig out of the routine.

So this is my first step to freedom :D 
3 days to go to get fully prepared
I can do it too! I know I can! Just need a little help from you guys here.. and maybe a bit more than a little. 

• Like 6

Hello Vivianne and welcome !

We are a great support group, glad you found us.

The first thing you must do is educate yourself about nicotine addiction.

So read all you can.

You may find this thread helpful

10 Ways To Effectively Use This Forum To Help Yourself Quit Smoking

I'll be back with more, just out the door right now but, wanted to at least get you started and give a welcome to you.

• Like 3

Pretend you know nothing about nicotine addiction

and start learning everything.

Read until your eyes bleed, watch the scary movies.

All the information about Nicotine Addiction must be imprinted.

This is our best weapon, for sure.

But, don't forget to have some fun too !

We have games and a great social section.

Please, have a stroll around.

S

p.s.

I will encourage you to stop smoking this very minute and not wait 3 days.

The anxiety created by waiting is far worse than the actual quit.

Like our friend, Paul, says, 'Just Jump !'

But, of course, do your thing...just give this quit your very best.  You deserve to be Nicotine Free.

• Like 5

I'll be honest Sazerac, being here, reading posts and watching videos, are actually giving me the same feeling. I wanna quit now and not wait 3 more days.. 
So

I am gonna throw everything out! I am gonna start cleaning, get rid of all smoke related objects - and start on a high

Thank you (all) for posting here! It is the best motivator there is! 

• Like 8

YAY !!!  I am so glad you are starting your quit now. 

Stay close to the board and post a lot, post everywhere.

Your experience will help others quit, believe me.  This Freedom is contagious.

Stock up on some fruit juices and some small snacks to keep your blood sugar up.

Drink LOTS of water.

Breathe your way through any crave and look at or think of something beautiful.  This will encourage your reward center.

Check this out

Your First Days Nicotine Free

a long thread that includes many of the ways we helped ourselves in the early days.

Stand your ground and Celebrate, Vivianne !

YOU QUIT SMOKING   !!!!

• Like 3

It was always on my 'to do' list to quit smoking but as with many, always in the future.

So, when I was told that the circulation in my leg had deteriorated on the 22 August this year I was thinking of dallying for a while and to quit on the 1st September because I've always thought a period of contemplating was necessary to get the mind -set correct.

Then I thought, "Sod it, just quit now." I did just that and I'm fine.

@Vivianne you can do it too.

• Like 7

You have come to the right place for support and information about nicotine addiction. Quitting and staying quit is so much easier when you have others around you experiencing the same thing. The more you come here and share your thoughts with others, the better you are likely to do. Great decision on quitting Vivianne!

• Like 7

Yay for you, Vivianne!  Do it now while you're in the right mindset and ride that feeling until there's no turning back.  Welcome, and huge congratulations on making the firm decision that now is the time to move forward instead of allowing the cigarettes to hold you back.

• Like 5

Welcome Vivian and congratulations on taking your freedom back. You've been given great advice so I'll just add that if you feel yourself caving to a crave, post in our SOS forum. We'll come running to try our best to help you through it and save your quit :)

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, QueenB said:

Way to go Vivianne!!!You can do this!!!!!! I was a professional smoker and I did it and so can YOU!!!!

YESSSSS !!!!!!!!!

Thank you for your energetic reply! I know I can do it too, I really need to separate myself from the junkie/addiction voice inside my head and accept that I am an addict.

23 minutes ago, Sazerac said:

Stock up on some fruit juices and some small snacks to keep your blood sugar up.

Drink LOTS of water.

Breathe your way through any crave and look at or think of something beautiful.  This will encourage your reward center.

Yeah I have been through that whole process, so it was already on my to do list. Went to the grocery store just now and got the necessary survival kit (including puzzle books... I need to reroute my mind when it gets too tough... or post an sos ;)) 
I know my dog is gonna enjoy the extra long walks lol

26 minutes ago, mightyboosh said:

It was always on my 'to do' list to quit smoking but as with many, always in the future.

So, when I was told that the circulation in my leg had deteriorated on the 22 August this year I was thinking of dallying for a while and to quit on the 1st September because I've always thought a period of contemplating was necessary to get the mind -set correct.

Then I thought, "Sod it, just quit now." I did just that and I'm fine.

@Vivianne you can do it too.

I am really lucky that I don't have any health problems, but - I wanna keep it that way. So I am not gonna wait any longer and quit now (well now is already an hour ago - so yay me!)  
Thank you for your welcome!

12 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

You have come to the right place for support and information about nicotine addiction. Quitting and staying quit is so much easier when you have others around you experiencing the same thing. The more you come here and share your thoughts with others, the better you are likely to do. Great decision on quitting Vivianne!

Thank you! I will do just that and make this my second home as long as it takes! 

8 minutes ago, Jordan7 said:

Yay for you, Vivianne!  Do it now while you're in the right mindset and ride that feeling until there's no turning back.  Welcome, and huge congratulations on making the firm decision that now is the time to move forward instead of allowing the cigarettes to hold you back.

Thanks! And indeed it is.. time to make me proud! 

3 minutes ago, jillar said:

Welcome Vivian and congratulations on taking your freedom back. You've been given great advice so I'll just add that if you feel yourself caving to a crave, post in our SOS forum. We'll come running to try our best to help you through it and save your quit :)

I already read some of the posts there, and I recognise so much of the last time. It doesn't really scare me (at the moment) - I can see the humour of it all..*

*Remind me when I don't anymore 😛 

Again thank you all for the great welcome! You are such a big help! 

• Like 6

Welcome aboard Vivianne glad to have you along.  This is a great place to find others to help motivate you and help you along for this journey.  Congrats on quitting, just keep focused and committed and you can do this!!!

• Like 5

Welcome aboard..

Congratulations ...your taking your life back ...freedom ....why wait ... why poison yourself for 3 more days 

This is a great place to be ..to quit forever ...we have fun, games,...support ,

Just join in ...the days will fly by....don't forget our daily pledge....this can be a massive help ..

Educate yourself ...learn by the past ...never romance the cig ....it's a little tube of poison ..

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Martian5 said:

Welcome aboard Vivianne glad to have you along.  This is a great place to find others to help motivate you and help you along for this journey.  Congrats on quitting, just keep focused and committed and you can do this!!!

Thank you for your welcome! I am so excited that I joined! 

1 hour ago, Doreensfree said:

Welcome aboard..

Congratulations ...your taking your life back ...freedom ....why wait ... why poison yourself for 3 more days 

This is a great place to be ..to quit forever ...we have fun, games,...support ,

Just join in ...the days will fly by....don't forget our daily pledge....this can be a massive help ..

Educate yourself ...learn by the past ...never romance the cig ....it's a little tube of poison ..

Yes! Found the games! Now let's slap some sticks!  ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Vivianne said:

Thank you for your welcome! I am so excited that I joined! 

Yes! Found the games! Now let's slap some sticks!  ;)

Pretty sure there's a rule somewhere that chicks must wait a minimum of 2 weeks after joining before they can play the Chicks or Sticks game. Let me go check with @Bakon.

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

Welcome, Vivianne! Glad to have you aboard the QTrain...as Saz said "Read, read, read til your eyes bleed..." ! You can do this same as the rest of us...one day at a time! 😎

• Like 3

Welcome aboard, @Vivianne

You are doing a great thing by quitting smoking.  Try to focus on the positives which you will eventually find out far outweigh the early, short-term negatives.  There really is nothing at all positive about smoking but a lot of positives to putting smoking behind you for good.

Joel Spitzer's videos are definitely worth your time but if you can access Allen Carr's book, "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking", I would also recommend that.  It really helped me see smoking in a different way and was a good resource in my quit.

Stick close to this site.  There is a lot of knowledge, fun, and distractions to help you.

It is great to have you here.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 4

Welcome Viianne!  You will be so glad you found this place.  I smoked for 42 years and never thought I could quit until I came across this forum.  The people here literally held me up and carried me across the finish line.  They all knew what I needed and made sure I knew I had the power to quit!  Overcoming this addiction is such a life changing experience.  So glad you decided not to prolong your quit.  It is best to just get that quit going!  Stay close and post often.  We will all be here for you.

• Like 5

Welcome aboard Vivianne.  Congratulations on making a great choice for yourself.

10 hours ago, Vivianne said:

I know how to quit (it's quite simple, just don't start) - 

The ability to travel back in time and never start smoking in the first place would facilitate the process greatly.  Unfortunately, it's not a realistic option.

The good news is: the process we do realistically have is as simple as it could possibly be.  Don't smoke!  You don't have to do anything, you just refrain from sticking things in your mouth and lighting them on fire.  Dead simple...no need to find a rip in the space-time continuum necessary.

Keep it simple and drive on.

• Like 6

So glad you have jumped into your Freedom, @Vivianne, you are right where you belong and we are really happy to have you here.

Already, you are making a difference.  Your enthusiasm is contagious just like your decision to quit smoking and put nicotine addiction to sleep.

The next few days will see the end of the physical symptoms of quitting as nicotine and all the poisons involved in cigarettes  start to leave your body Forever.

The healing has begun.  The cilia in your lungs are sloughing off all that gunk, your blood is cleaning itself, your brain begins to re-wire.

Make sure you reward yourself.

The Significance of Rewards

• Like 3

I agree....

It's all about the attitude.....

Staying positive.....what you are achieving is flippin amazing ...

Believe in yourself....

Once you open your eyes to this horrible killer addiction ...and you finally see smoking for what it is ...

The fight becomes easy ....

• Like 3