On day 2 and it sucks

tony950

im on my 2nd full day now of no smoking and it is no fun. i couldn't sleep at all last night. earlier i googled nicotine whithdrawl and then started reading some of the links. it appears insomnia is part of quitting smoking. hope i can get through this quit this time. anyone have any ideas on how to cope?

• Like 6

Hi tony, good on you for posting. When a bad craved hit me I used my JAC (jillars air cigarette). I just pretended I was holding an actual cigarette and then went through the motions of "smoking" it. It worked great at tricking my mind into thinking it was getting the real thing. Maybe try that? Also, sucking on sweets or drinking juice. I was hooked on soft peppermint puffs my whole first year lol.

Insomnia is a normal quit symptom and very frustrating. Unfortunately the only way past it is to go through it. I took an over the counter sleep aid and found that just one Night time Bayer was enough to help me get that much needed sleep.

Congrats on your 2nd day quit :) 

• Like 4

Great on posting Tony.  The first few days are tough, you have to get thru the physical withdrawal symptoms.  Jillar gave hints above that I used and helped me get thru the tough parts somewhat.  The good news is that some of these will go away soon.  I also drank cold water as well as cold juice when a craving came on and also took walks.  Another good thing is come here often when you can -- there is a lot of educational material as well as good to people to ask for advice or just socialize some.  Keep strong - this can be done.  

• Like 4

Hi Tony ,

Congratulations on making the great decision to rid yourself of this horrible addiction ...

Your body will be all messed up ...it's been used to having poison up to twenty times a day ...

It will take time for your body to heal ...

My sleep was all messed up too....I was here 24/7...reading as much as I could ...

Stay close ..post often ..take our daily pledge ....

• Like 4

Welcome back tony.  Congratulations on finally quitting.  Unfortunately the first week is the toughest and you just need to stay focused on the prize - a smoke free life.  I just would deep breath and concentrate on the clean air going in and out.  You can try jillar's air cigarette to distract you.  

I promise that each day gets better and you become more powerful as you take back you life from this addiction.  

Try and stay close and shout out if you need help.  We are here to guide you.  Hang in there!

• Like 5

Keep fighting, Tony.  You are going through the roughest days but it does get better as you go along.

Stick close to this site.  Read, participate in games here (which can really distract you from cravings).  Do whatever you need to do as long as you don't smoke.  Things will get better.

• Like 5

Hi Tony, I am new to this too. The first few days are going to suck, no lie. But you can do it!
I was waking up every hour or so .. I use dum-dum suckers in place of smokes for the oral fixation part, also - Jillar's air cigarette certainly does work wonders!
Power thru this and you will not feel like crap anymore when you wake up in the morning. 

I stay close to this forum, it is a wonderful support tool. The people here are priceless. And Joel's videos are worth millions. 

• Like 5

Yep.  Day 2 sucks.  So does day 3 and 4 and 5 and 6 and...until it doesn't suck anymore provided you don't suck a cigarette.  The first couple of days [weeks] are brutal.  As long as you DO NOT SMOKE the days of misery expire. Please check in here often.  Read. Post. Read. Post. Read. Post SOS.  You pick the order.  The beginning SUCKS!!! Then it doesn't anymore.  Trust me. 

• Like 5

Hey Tony,

Congratulations on your quit.

Protect it with your life as it very well may be !

Start your education on nicotine addiction,

this is the best tool for success.

You may find this post helpful

10 Ways To Effectively Use This Forum To Help Yourself Quit Smoking

and our friend, Joel Spitzer has a wealth of information to help you,

start here 

Daily Lesson Quitting Guide

You can rise above the discomfort, Tony,

and when you do.....well the Freedom is delicious !

• Like 4

The level of discomfort and the duration of discomfort is an individual matter, there are many variables.

Some people have a tough time, others are able to sail right through.

Putting Nicotine addiction to sleep is serious work but, it doesn't have to be insanely gruesome.

The truth is millions of people have successfully quit smoking and successfully came to terms with their Nicotine Addiction. 

We all did and You Can Too !

The sooner you start replacing smokey thoughts with free thoughts, the easier your quit will be.

In the early days, drink fruit juice.

Use deep breaths to help you through craves and triggers.

'Move A Muscle, Change A Thought' is a wise saying and excellent advice.

You will love being free of Nicotine.

• Like 2