New and I’d sure like to stay.

Birch

Hi there,

I don’t know if I belong here, I quit  a week ago (plus some minutes!) before getting my wisdom teeth out. I smoked for eight years starting in college, anywhere from a quarter to a half pack a day. I know that’s “nothing” to some individuals. 

I’m a security guard in the mountains - middle of nowhere. In the summer it’s boring, in the winter it’s stressful and fun - but it’s  beautiful year-round. Anyway I live and work here, and it’s filled with triggers. I’m past the whole post-surgery don’t-smoke deal, but trying to ride this as long as I can for my boyfriend and for me. 

Couldn’t give up the weed, don’t know if I ever will. That’s probably another post for another site. I figured this quit was more pressing and I hope this can help me. 

Edited by Birch
  • Like 7

Welcome @Birch...oh you are so in the right place. 1 smoke a week...a pack a day we come in all shapes and sizes but the one thing we all have in common is we are nicotine addicts and we want to be free of this addiction.

Dunno about up north (I live down under) but down here post extractions we are supposed to be smoke free for at least 2 weeks to avoid dry socket (omg the pain, the pain ,🤢😱...yep I didn't wait)...so keep that as extra motivation.

As for the happy weed...there are those here who do and those who don't ...some just eat it...some are really against it...most are indifferent but I say cross one bridge at a time. 

Biggest tips I have for newbies...join the daily NOPE thread...Not One Puff Ever...even if like me in the beginning it was a NOPE for today which brings me to my second biggest tip....just take it one day at a time, only worry about today...tomorrow will get here eventually but just focus on today.

Other tips...keep your fluids up. And your blood sugar levels...2 birds, 1 stone...drink lots of juice 

I don't wish the newbies good luck because a successful quit has nothing to do with luck, just respecting yourself enough not to put something in your mouth and setting it in fire.

• Like 7

Hello and Welcome aboard ...

Glad you found us ....if you want to quit nicotine for good,then your in the right place ..

We have all kinds of stuff going on here to keep you busy ..games ..social ..ect...

Quitting can be fun ,it's not all doom and gloom ...so where to start .....

On  our main smoking board ..you will find green pinned posts ...tons of info there ...

Take time getting familiar with the board ....those that post often and join in ,are the ones most likely to stay quit ...

As for the weed .....I've never used it ..so carnt comment ,

I'm sure others will be along soon ..with loads more tips for you ....

You can do it ...you just have to want it bad enough ....

• Like 4

Thank you @Doreensfree!

Thanks @notsmokinjo, everything the surgeon and staff gave me said anywhere from 3 days to a week on the smoking and most other things - I can tell you I feel far from healed so I’m glad I haven’t smoked. The pain and all the wound care has also distracted me from the first few days of quitting.  Co-workers said they smoked in the first day or two without dry socket, but I don’t look to them for much!

Appreciate all your tips and warm welcomes 😊

• Like 3

Welcome, Birch

and congratulations on your quit.

Learn all you can about nicotine addiction, this will help you build a sturdy, strong quit.

It doesn't matter how much you smoked or for how long,

we are all committed to putting the addiction to sleep.

You may find this thread helpful 

10 Ways To Effectively Use This Forum To Help Yourself Quit Smoking

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome birch and congratulations on taking back your life :) You've been given great advice already and you've made it past the hell week, the hardest week of all but if you do feel yourself caving to a crave then come here and post an SOS and we will come running to help you past it.

Quitting is by far the best gift you can ever give yourself :)

• Like 2

Welcome Birch glad to have you aboard.  It is great that you are trying to quit.  Keep focused and committed, also come here often it really will help.  As said above you have gotten some good advice but use that NOPE pledge, it really worked for me. Keep strong!!!!!

• Like 4

Welcome aboard Birch.  Congratulations on making a great choice to ditch the smokes.

11 hours ago, Birch said:

I don’t know if I belong here, I quit  a week ago (plus some minutes!) before getting my wisdom teeth out. I smoked for eight years starting in college, anywhere from a quarter to a half pack a day. I know that’s “nothing” to some individuals. 

You quit smoking and chose freedom over slavery; you absolutely belong here. 

Grab a seat and stay awhile.

• Like 3

Welcome to QuitTrain, Birch, and congratulations on quitting smoking.

Support and knowledge about nicotine addiction can really help you stay quit for good and you can find both here.

Stick around, read and participate.  There are a lot of people here who'd love to see you quit for good.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone! Off to work in post-surgery pain for day 7 after quitting... it snowed where I am so that should make stepping outside that much harder tonight. Fortunately I have already boarded the NOPE train!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Birch said:

Thanks everyone! Off to work in post-surgery pain for day 7 after quitting... it snowed where I am so that should make stepping outside that much harder tonight. Fortunately I have already boarded the NOPE train!

We are looking out for you, Birch..

You quit smoking and are one of us now....lol.

Be careful in the snow and guard your quit with your life.

NOPE-ly yours,

S

• Like 2