Protecting Your FOREVER Quit

Sazerac

Protecting Your FOREVER Quit 

Nearing my six year anniversary, I am examining how I protect my quit.

This quit is as precious today as it was during it's infancy.  I know that.

I continue my vigilance.  

I am not in full battle Riot gear anymore but, I still NOPE, if only to myself, every morning.  

In the evening I am grateful for the day, grateful for my quit.

My commitment stands firm.

So, to newbies....this isn't a struggle anymore, hasn't been a struggle since the v. early days.

It is now a conscious reminder that nicotine addiction doesn't magically disappear OR stay asleep if provoked.

Addiction must be acknowledged

and our commitment, our fidelity to NOPE ~ Not One Puff Ever WILL protect our quits...forever.

This ritual of NOPE is a part of me now, it takes no extra thought but, I haven't forgotten what it means.

Hanging out on QTrain keeps my eyes open and helps me to absorb the facts of addiction in a deep and daily way. 

I am grateful to be able to watch new quitters begin their journey.  It is an elixir.

Here is a fresh off the press video from our friend, Joel Spitzer.

He is the one who helped me (and many, many others) understand my nicotine addiction.  

I am so appreciative of his continued teachings.

Video describes resource pages set up to help people who have already successfully stopped smoking to maintain their quits over the long-term.

Resource pages discussed in this video: 

Resources/Videos Related To The Implications Of A Puff Once You Have Quit

Relapse Prevention

Can You Spare About An Hour And A Half To Help Save Your Life ?

Joel Spitzer's Daily Quit Smoking Lessons

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, Sazerac said:

It is now a conscious reminder that nicotine addiction doesn't magically disappear OR stay asleep if provoked.

A very wise post and a reminder for all about the dangers.

You may remember in my introductory post that I said I gave up for seven years in 1997 so, an addict is an addict is an addict until we're pushing up the daisies.

My late mother in law had quit for more than thirty years and detested the smell etc. of cigarettes. She never wanted one but once said that if she did have one, she'd be back on 60 a day immediately. She had never read up on addiction but she knew instinctively what it meant.

• Like 7

Yeah - nicotine addiction is a bitch for sure but once you are able to put it to sleep, it's easy to maintain providing you just don't do anything stupid. I think part of the reason I stick around here is to remind myself of that initial struggle to get to a place of little effort by following the early days of other quitters. We try to pass on thoughts and ideas that resonated with us when we quit. Not sure if any of that helps much or not because in the end, it's what we choose to do or not do individually. I can't save your quit and you can't save mine. This is one thing in life where each individual alone is responsible for their own ultimate success. Smoking or quitting ..... each is a choice!

• Like 6

My late mother in law had quit for more than thirty years and detested the smell etc. of cigarettes. She never wanted one but once said that if she did have one, she'd be back on 60 a day immediately. She had never read up on addiction but she knew instinctively what it meant 

Being addict ... I understand this ..there is no such thing as one ...ever ....

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Sazerac said:

So, to newbies....this isn't a struggle anymore, hasn't been a struggle since the v. early days.

I don't even remember the last time I craved a smoke.  Distant memory.

I can't imagine a scenario in which I would choose to light one up.  Unthinkable.

I don't miss smoking at all.  Not one iota.

Three and a half years ago I seriously doubted my ability to quit.  Now, it's hard to believe that I ever smoked.

Hang in there newbies.  The only thing that kept us trapped as smokers was a perception of ourselves altered by addiction.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Sazerac changed the title to Protecting Your FOREVER Quit
  • 3 weeks later...

I truly like this post from Sazerac. A quite few years ago I tried to quit and did it by slow weening myself off them. I got to the point where I was down to none. I made it a couple days without a smoke. I wasn't totally committed and didn't have the support I needed. So, I decided to just take a couple drags from a cigarette and that I would still be able to quit. That turned out to be an epic fail. The difference between then and now is that I'm and totally invested in my quit. I also have a great support system set in place. I am starting to completely buy into the whole NOPE ritual. The second biggest difference between then and now is I don't have one of the biggest triggers anymore either. I decided one day 17 years ago I no longer wanted to drink alcohol any more. I didn't have a problem with alcohol but did make very poor decisions when drinking so I just stopped. So, What it all comes down to absolute commitment , a strong support system and hard work.

• Like 4

A cigarette is designed for ONLY ONE purpose - to make you want another. That it kills you is an unfortunate side-effect. Collateral damage, if you will. Billions has been spent on making smoking as addictive as possible. On day one of my quit, I was told that all I needed to do to stay quit was not to put things in my mouth and set fire to them. It’s as true now, as it was then. Getting addicted is not a bug, it’s a feature. If you’re just starting out, remember that. You got addicted because you fell into a trap laid for you, by someone with the express intent of addicting you, and the full knowledge that the addiction would kill you. 

Don’t put things in your mouth and set fire to them.

• Like 6