Unbelievable

mightyboosh

When I watched these documenteries...it was as if  I switched on the light bulb...

I got it !!!.....what I kept blinkered all my smoking years ...erupted before my eyes..

If was a turning point for me ...

Please if any newbies has not watched these ..they are a must ...

• Like 5

Yesterday I was browsing around on amazon video and stumbled across a nostalgia video made up entirely of old time commercials from the 50s, 60s, and I believe the early 70s.  There were several smoking ads included.  I got to admit that the animated marching Lucky Strikes was entertaining.   There were quite a few for Newport’s (which must have been new at the time, I even vaguely remember seeing those as a child)

if if you want to see brazen, hard sell ads for cigarettes look no further than those old American TV commercials

• Like 4

I googled this and didn't realise it was so recent that it was allowed on F1 cars. Just think of how much lobbying and kicking and screaming the tobacco companies did as they saw their ads being banned all over the place. I remember the snooker World Championships being sponsored by Benson and Hedges and the players lighting up during broadcasts.

"The advertising of cigarettes on Formula 1 cars has been banned since 2008. The 2008 Bahrain Grand Prix was the last time the Marlboro logo was seen on a Ferrari F1 car."

• Like 3

A lot of those old cigarette ads are mind-blowing.  I have seen numerous variations of ads where doctors were endorsing Camels.  Unbelievable by today's standards.

I started smoking around 1993 and 1994 and wasn't exposed to cigarette ads on television.  I was pretty sickened to recently see an old cigarette ad featuring The Flintstones, a cartoon I used to love when I was a kid.  Really sickening.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, johnny5 said:

A lot of those old cigarette ads are mind-blowing.  I have seen numerous variations of ads where doctors were endorsing Camels.  Unbelievable by today's standards.

I started smoking around 1993 and 1994 and wasn't exposed to cigarette ads on television.  I was pretty sickened to recently see an old cigarette ad featuring The Flintstones, a cartoon I used to love when I was a kid.  Really sickening.

Oh man! Talk about advertising your cigarette brand to kids - WOW!! So Johnny. Did you end up smoking Winston's?

Just curious if this stuff had an effect on you personally?

• Sad 3

29 minutes ago, Boo said:

Not content simply selling poison to children, the folks at Marlboro decided it was a good idea to use babies to sell poison to adults.

image.png.d5f1a2a4330f731a5f9a2ee5764f108e.png

Perfect 😞 

And; what the hell does "over smoked" mean anyway? 

Edited by reciprocity
  • Sad 3

13 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

Oh man! Talk about advertising your cigarette brand to kids - WOW!! So Johnny. Did you end up smoking Winston's?

Just curious if this stuff had an effect on you personally?

I started out smoking Marlboro Reds and eventually switched down to mostly Camel Lights and Marlboro Lights stupidly believing that the "light" part made them a bit safer (another marketing trick).  Those were my three go-to brands.

I remember bumming a few Winstons early on but I mainly stuck with the brands I just mentioned. 

Doesn't matter, all cigarettes are garbage.  It is sick how big tobacco marketed them.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

G’day 

This is one of the adds when I first started smoking.

Recognise the bloke in the add? It’s Paul Hogen ....a long time before crocodile Dundee he was the face for Winfield cigerettes. Hard to believe they were 40c a pack. This was the world I lived in in the mid seventies, hard to imagine these days.

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, reciprocity said:

Good question.  I suppose the vultures at Marlboro were trying to tout their product's ability to poison you without you feeling like you're being poisoned.

When you peddle addiction and death, even the folks on Madison Avenue have a hard time polishing that turd.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, reciprocity said:

Perfect 😞 

It's just a meaningless marketing term, that sounds good, like "synergy".   Lucky strikes used "it's toasted".   Toasting is a process done to all tobacco (as I understand), but hey it sounded good in a jingle.

• Like 1