Having a Hard Time

mrsguest

Got some really GREAT news and I really wanted to celebrate by smoking 😞

I am having a hard time trying not to reach for a cigarette right now. (I do not have any around me) 

But I could easily go to the store . . . but I am trying really hard to ride thru this! 

• Like 7

What helped me when I was having a bad crave was my JAC (jillars air cigarette). I just pretended I was holding an actual cigarette in my fingers and then went through the motions of "smoking" it. It worked wonders at tricking my mind into thinking it was getting the real thing. Some members use pens, cut straws, even twizzlers as their air cigarettes

Edited by jillar
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

watch your blood sugar, it runs amok in the early days.

drink some good juice.  eat a little something.

Drink lots of water.  

Are you home ?

Take a screaming shower.

Put your headphones on LOUD and dance like a demon.

Many craves are actually your body asking for something reasonable.

Take a look at  this thread     H.A.L.T

Are you Hungry, Angry, Lonesome, Tired ?

REWARD yourself for every crave conquered. 

This is important !  It assists your brain in re-wiring itself away from the addiction.

DO ANYTHING 

BUT

SMOKE.

You Don't Smoke Anymore, baby.

Stay with us and ride this out.

S

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We all reach those points when we think we can't (or don't want to) ride it out anymore and it would be easier to cave to the crave but .... that's when we dig deep and find we DO have the inner strength and logical thinking to be able to drag ourselves through those moments. It's incredibly rewarding to realize you can do it after all. Try it; you'll see!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Great job posting an SOS and fighting through this crave, mrsguest. 

A cigarette is no way to celebrate anything but fighting through craves and keeping the quit is worth celebrating.  Your quit becomes stronger because of times like this.

Keep up the great work!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mrsguest said:

I like the JAC in the car especially ;)

I went to my work's family picnic today and there was a lotta smokin' so I went thru a lot of suckers. 

But I got this cool arm painting out of the deal lol 

20190921_185636.jpg

Sorry to be late...

Feel proud for reaching out ...smoking wouldn't change anything ... well done ..stay strong ..

Love  this !!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You went through a bunch of suckers but you weren't the sucker!

Good job staying true.  

image.png.7ea16ff3a177c3748c34c55771b975a5.png

Intellectually I'm sure you understand that smoking isn't a reward anymore then tapping your head with a hammer.

It will take some time for your emotional and physical expectations to catch up with your conscious decision to forego poison as pleasure.

Stay the course.

• Like 4

OK sooooooo - my husband still smokes. In the house! Which is strange because he is not a heavy smoker. He's what I call an "eh" smoker ... one of those people who can kinda take it or leave it. 

I'm a bit pissed he ain't 'leaving' it more often now that I have gone cold turkey. 

Truth be told, cigarettes smell real good to me still. 

I am suffering a bit, and trying not to be a bitch by telling him to take it outside, or whatever.
But on the other hand I am pissy because why should I have to freaking ask? Ugh! 

Thanks, as always, for listening to me vent! I'm still holding strong, my quit is not in danger. 

• Like 5

I am relieved to hear your quit is not in danger,

you have come a LONG way this week and need to be super kind to yourself.

No harm in asking (sweetly) darling, the smoke is really hard for me right now, would you take it outside ?

OR remove yourself from the scene.  Are the stars out tonight ?

One quitter held out on kisses until teeth/tongue were freshly brushed, hands scrubbed. Clothing shed.

The addiction has many ways of luring us,

smell is one although soon the scent may become repugnant.

Many of us scoured houses, clothing, cars to eradicate it from our senses.

I bet your nose is going to wake up just like your taste buds and oh ! your blood flow to lady parts.

You'll like that.

The benefits are outrageously GOOD.

Hang in there, distract yourself.  Take a long singing shower.  YOU QUIT SMOKING !  Awesome !

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mrsguest it's not being a bitch by telling your hubby you don't want him smoking in the house now that you've quit. He may push a little but it's more from the fact that he's lost a partner in crime. Smokers hate losing one of their own...

And fwiw, I still like the smell of a freshly lit cigarette too. It's the stale smoke that grosses me out now. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

mrsguest, use some of that bitchiness to set some new rules!  Let him know that you want his support even though he is not quitting.  

Remember how strong you are and know that you can power through anything.  

I actually did not like the smell of smoke in my early quit.  I would look at smokers as aliens and was glad I no longer smoked.

Stress was a big trigger for me but every time I pushed through the crave, I felt so powerful!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think why I am really pissy about is that my husband is quite younger than I am & I have been smoking a substantially longer amount of time. 
I've smoked since I was 13, so I've basically lived my whole life with a cigarette. 

I'm getting off track ---- 

The point is this, and it is a major one: I don't think he takes my quit seriously because I have smoked for so long and I am one of those smokers who absolutely looooooved smoking. 

It really doesn't matter why he doesn't take it seriously, the simple fact is that I honestly don't think he does.

6 hours ago, Sazerac said:

A video from our friend, Joel Spitzer, that you may find helpful

Are There Social Smokers?

thanks for this, super informative and enlightening! I like how he compares it somewhat to alcohol. 
After watching this, maybe my husband is one of those people that is super hooked and doesn't know until it's time to quit! 

• Like 2

My wife quit years before I did. I think I respected that fact that she was quitting as much as I could, even though I know I wasn't ready to quit then too. Wouldn't smoke around her or in the car if we were both there etc. It was probably around that time I quit smoking in the house. I suppose I regretted that come winter but hey, we all know that we will do whatever it takes to feed our addiction right? If anything, maybe I was a little jealous that she was doing what deep down inside, I knew I should be doing as well? I think you would be well within your rights to have a frank discussion about this with hubby, at the right time. Tell him how you're feeling. Ask him how he feels about what you are doing? OK .... I'll take off my Dr. Phil hat now 😄

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1