Food variety

mightyboosh

@reciprocity  commented on taste buds being re-born in another thread of mine so I thought I would start a dedicated one on the subject.

I bought a packet of dried cous cous, rice, lentil etc. concoction from Aldi and have just tried it. Now this just wasn't me, previously, to eat this sort of stuff but I must admit it was very tasty. 

I'll always love the bacon and egg side of cuisine but I'm exploring different stuff especially things that will help control weight gain after my quit. It's opening up a new area of interest due to flavours being allowed to express themselves now.

I'm not an extremist about anything in life so I will treat myself to naughty things on occasion but I think I've enough willpower left over to have healthy eating as part of my quit package.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

• Like 5

I know of two people, one here, who after quitting discovered hummus.

Easy to make and homemade = easy,better.

You might enjoy Good olive oil,  a fresh herb, a tomato and an excellent loaf of bread. 

Go explore your taste buds !

I am so glad you quit.

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 3

The girlfriend and I have switched to a vegan diet and -while it takes a lot of planning to eat properly- we're creating dishes and experiencing things we wouldn't otherwise. I've always had a super sniffer/taster anyway (even when I smoked) and it's even better now, so we're really enjoying our meals, rather than just eating the same old crap (literally).

Our change to vegan is mainly for health reason. I'm no meat nazi by any means. It's just what works for us. I feel better now than I have in years!

Edited by JimHannoonen
  • Like 7

My husband loves tabouli.   I just picked the florets off of a huge batch of parsley.  It only took me an hour and a half.  He hates the store bought kind because of all the stems.  It is such a light refreshing salad.  I used to think it was not worth the work until my granddaughter fell in love with it also.  Now Grandma loves making it!

My husband is Lebanese.  Many of the Mediterranean dishes are very healthy. 

• Like 5

Anybody else on a feta cheese kick right now?  I can't get enough of that stuff.  Made up a big ol' Greek omelette for breakfast this morning.

Doing my part to help the economy of Greece, one block of cheese at a time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

On 9/16/2019 at 5:19 PM, jillar said:

The only thing I've changed is I'm now willing to eat bacon and onion pizzas too instead of pepperoni and pineapple only 😄😄

MUST be real bacon though, not those bacon bits. I don't even know if those are made from bacon. Sure don't taste like it.

I'm good with pineapple on Pizza too. That ingredient is either a love it or hate it one - no middle ground there!

• Like 6

6 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

Pineapple is the third greatest food given to us by the gods...it goes Vegemite, beetroot, pineapple, mango, bacon then passionfruit..... 

There is no burger on earth worth eating that doesn't include beetroot, pineapple, bacon and egg.

Not sure about the beets on a hamburger? Never heard of that one. I suppose you could put pretty much anything on a burger and it would taste great :) 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, notsmokinjo said:

There is no burger on earth worth eating that doesn't include beetroot, pineapple, bacon and egg.

Sounds weird but I'd give it a try. In fact, I will try it the next time I have a burger. Sometimes weird mixtures are a revelation.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, mightyboosh said:

That's the same as Marmite here. It's great stuff but the secret is to spread it as thinly as possible on toast. Otherwise it's too strong.

Pretty sure there's no food product with "mite" in it's name anywhere in North America. Why is that? 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Doreensfree said:

I like marmite but not that other stuff ....yuk !!!

Do you mean Vegemite as 'the other stuff'? I thought it was the same as Marmite. Or do you mean the highly controversial, could cause WW3, beetroot, pineapple combo on a burger?

• Haha 3