Time To Quit Again

tony950

I tried quiting back in 2015. I was able to quit for about 4 months cold turkey. Then i developed some health problams and went right back to it. Here i am almost 5 years later and i want to quit for good this time no matter what. Can anyone on here give me some pointers on how to quit for good and maybye some words of encouragement? Thanks

• Like 7

Welcome to Quit Train tony950! This is a place where all quitters can share information, learn about nicotine addiction and get as much support as they want. You didn't give a lot of information about why you started again. Health issues should be a reason to stop smoking, not start up again so I'm a little confused on that. The real issue is that smoking or quitting is a choice. A choice that you have to make and stay will each and every day. We have a page here dedicated to daily NOPE (Not One Puff Ever) Many go to that page each and every day to pledge that they will not take even one puff for just today. If you do that every day then you will be quit for life.

There is a ton of information on the various pages here Tony. I would highly recommend you read as many posts as you can and watch the Joel Spitzer videos. They cover every quit smoking topic you can imagine. Knowledge is power Tony! Gain the knowledge and you will empower yourself to remain quit. Know your enemy (nicotine addiction)!

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 7

Welcome aboard Tony.  There is a lot of information on this site that will help educate you on this quit and a lot of people that will support you the best they can online.  My main pointers are to drink lots of  cold water (and juice to help bring up your blood sugar), deep breathing techniques (here you can use the Jillar Air Cigarette -- a cut down straw cigarette size, it really helped me) and to come here often and use the NOPE pledge.  Also commitment and focus go a long way.  This can be done!!!

• Like 6

Welcome back Tony, and congrats on deciding to take your life back. I quit cold turkey for health reasons and kept googling quit symptoms I was having which led me to my now defunct old forum where I lurked for about three weeks before having the nerve to sign up. And boy am I glad I did. I'm convinced that without the help and camaraderie of my fellow quitters I would not have been successful. There's something about knowing you're not alone and not wanting to let my new friends down that really resonated with me. That's also where I learned about my JAC (jillars air cigarette) and how well it was at tricking my mind into thinking it was getting the real thing.

You'll meet people from all over the world here and can answer pretty much any quit question you may have. And if we can't we can steer you toward a topic that can. We also have a super fun socializing section to keep your mind busy and off the constant thinking about smoking. :)

Edited by jillar
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, tony950 said:

Can anyone on here give me some pointers on how to quit for good and maybye some words of encouragement? Thanks

Pointers: Commit to the quit, go all in.  Educate yourself about nicotine addiction; learning to spot the traps makes them easy to avoid.  Keep it simple; quitting only requires that you stop putting things in your mouth and lighting them on fire.

Encouragement: The process of quitting smoking is one of the best things you will ever do for yourself.  The process will reward you many times over.  The bothersome aspects of the quit are temporary while the benefits are permanent.  And...the entire process is simple, you only have to stop putting things in your mouth and lighting them on fire.

Did I mention how simple the process is?

You can do this Tony.  And I guarantee you that you will not regret the decision to quit.

• Like 8

Welcome aboard Tony....

Congratulations on making the choice to take your life back ....

This is a horrible addiction ,that will most likely kill you ....

I know first hand how crippling smoking illnesses truly are ....you don't want to go there ...

Quit now before ,there is no turning back ...

I smoked 52 years ..quitting is the most amazing rewarding ,proud feeling ever ...

Take smoking off the table ...no matter what going on ...

You have a train full of quitters here...who will travel the journey to Freedom with you ..

• Like 7

Hi Tony.  Welcome to the quittrain.  

I never thought I had the power to quit until I found this forum.  There is a wonderful group of people that are here to help guide you to freedom.

It is really just a matter of getting through a couple of tough weeks and then changing your thinking.  Our brains our patterned  into thinking we need that cigarette and can't live without it.

You do have the power to beat the addiction.  Educate yourself, stay close to the forum and let us help you. You can do this.  Don't let this addiction take one more day of you life!

• Like 5

Welcome, Tony!

Educating yourself about nicotine addiction really helps.  The more you know about the addiction, the better prepared you are to beat it.  Also, support helps a lot too. 

You can find both education and support here.  Read up on addiction on this site and please feel to reach out if you are struggling.

Quitting might be tough but it is doable and a smoke-free life is much better than the pain of continuing to smoke.

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Thanks all for the replys. I fell off the wagon again. As of today i am going to give it a go again and hopefully for good this time. I got some nicotine patches and nicotine gum to help me quit this time around. Hopefully i can quit for good this time and be done with it

• Like 4

2 hours ago, tony950 said:

Hopefully i can quit for good this time and be done with it

Welcome back Tony.  There is no reason to hope that you can do this.  Believe that you can do this.  We have all been where you are and quitting smoking for good is very doable.

Stick around the site.  Read up on nicotine addiction.  Pledge in the NOPE thread daily (where you commit to Never Taking Another Puff, even if just for that one day), and reach out if you are struggling.

It is time for you to be done with smoking and live a much healthier life.

• Like 3

I got some nicotine patches and nicotine gum to help me quit this time around. 

The only thing you need to quit is a personal commitment to NOPE.

Not One Puff Ever.

If you are juggling patches and nicotine gum you will have the danger of nicotine poisoning.

This is serious business.

Educate yourself about nicotine addiction and make the commitment to yourself.

You must be willing to endure discomfort in the beginning.

This will not kill you.  Smoking WILL.

Have a deep think about what our friend, @Sirius, asks, 

"The next time a craving plunks down on your face ask yourself, "What price you are willing to pay to own yourself?"

• Like 3

Thanks all for the replys. I fell off the wagon again. As of today i am going to give it a go again and hopefully for good this time. I got some nicotine patches and nicotine gum to help me quit this time around. Hopefully i can quit for good this time and be done with it

Tony

I'd like to offer some different approaches for your next quit.

• First, don't use terms like "fell off the wagon" or "slipped".  It really minimizes your accountability.  In fact, it makes it sound more like an accident rather than a conscious choice to smoke again.
  • Stop saying "hopefully" you will quit this time.  It's all about making a real and solid commitment. 

• Don't assume that that NRT's will magically make quitting a breeze.  It's more about your mindset than anything else.  Sure NRT's help many people, but they're not a panacea for all withdrawals.  And more importantly, talk to your doctor before using 2 types at the same time.  I'd be shocked if any medical professional thought that was okay. 

As others have said, you can do this.  Sometimes it just takes looking at things a little differently to reach the desired outcome.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, BKP said:

Tony

I'd like to offer some different approaches for your next quit.

• First, don't use terms like "fell off the wagon" or "slipped".  It really minimizes your accountability.  In fact, it makes it sound more like an accident rather than a conscious choice to smoke again.
  • Stop saying "hopefully" you will quit this time.  It's all about making a real and solid commitment. 

• Don't assume that that NRT's will magically make quitting a breeze.  It's more about your mindset than anything else.  Sure NRT's help many people, but they're not a panacea for all withdrawals.  And more importantly, talk to your doctor before using 2 types at the same time.  I'd be shocked if any medical professional thought that was okay. 

As others have said, you can do this.  Sometimes it just takes looking at things a little differently to reach the desired outcome.

This is a really good post.  

• Like 1