Relapsed after two years quit

Sos77

Hi everyone. I was quit for over 2 years and relapsed 6 months ago :( but I’ve since been quit again for two weeks today but my symptoms are bad. I never got over my chronic SOB which makes me so mad at myself for starting again. I have horrible anxiety and depression, my legs ache badly, I’m tired and can’t seem to shake it. I have no cravings, I just want this all to go away 😢😢 any suggestions?  

• Like 4

Glad to have you aboard Sos77 and sad about your relapse.  However, you do have 2 weeks into this quit and that is a very good thing.  As to your symptoms you have to fight those and understand they will pass.  What you can do in the meantime is go thru the various educational materials on this site.  I had many of the same problems what helped me most was sleep when I was tired and I drank plenty of cold fluids ( water and also various juices which will help with your blood sugar.  You can use Jillars's Air Cigarette ( a piece of drinking straw cut down to cigarette size), it helps fool the mind and does a pretty decent job.  Walking or some form of exercise helps also.  If you feel some of these symptoms are not manageable you can speak to your doctor but they do pass in time, the first 3-4 weeks can be tough in this way but it is doable.  Again there are many resources on this site that can help.  Others will be along also to give advice!!!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Welcome SOS, sorry about the relapse. As you may remember that first month is the hardest. Hang in there and I agree with martian to see your Dr if any symptoms are to troublesome, they can maybe put you on a temporary med for your anxiety if it's really bad. I was extremely tired for months but it does get better. Our chemicals in our bodies get all messed up for a while but usually level out in time.

Congratulations on two weeks quit :)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Welcome to QuitTrain, SOS.

I'm sorry to hear about your relapse.  2 weeks is a great start back, though.  Smoking really brings nothing positive at all to your life, just negative.  You will be so much better off putting that behind you for good.

Stick close to this site.  Read as much as you can and reach out whenever you need help.  Education and support is what helped me quit for good and you can get both here.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Welcome Sos77. Sorry to hear about your relapse but keep that lesson learned top of mind once you secure this new quit :)

You should probably speak to a Dr. about the anxiety/depression issue. Are you on any meds for this before your quit? They might need to be altered. Same thing with the aching legs. Unless it's because you have been tensing up those leg muscles since you quit, you mat want to seek a medical opinion on that too. The tiredness is a pretty common early quit issue. Have you had your blood-sugar levels checked since quitting? Sometimes those can dip a bit when you first quit. Drinking fruit juice or sucking on a few hard candies might help. Listen to you body. There a lot of changes going on when you first quit. If you're tired, sleep more etc. Those things won't last all that long.

Make yourself familiar with this site and read all you can. There's some "pinned" threads on the main Quit Smoking Discussion page and some also on the Introductions page. We have a daily NOPE page too where some pledge their Not One Puff Ever each day to set themselves up for that smoke free day - one day at a time.

There's a Joel Spitzer video page as well which covers all topics related to nicotine addiction and quitting - very useful stuff.

Lots to keep you busy and knowledge IS power so .... go fill yer boots with knowledge about nicotine addiction :) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sos77 said:

Hi everyone. I was quit for over 2 years and relapsed 6 months ago :( but I’ve since been quit again for two weeks today but my symptoms are bad. I never got over my chronic SOB which makes me so mad at myself for starting again. I have horrible anxiety and depression, my legs ache badly, I’m tired and can’t seem to shake it. I have no cravings, I just want this all to go away 😢😢 any suggestions?  

Yes, I have suggestions, since you asked.

My suggestion is to stop smoking,

deal with your nicotine addiction

and learn how to love yourself.

In that order.

We are here with all the support you need, well....online anyway.

Quit smoking, the rest will follow.

Love,

Sazerac

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When you choose to quit smoking,

I recommend taking a look at these resources.

Will This Get Better

When You May Really Need

Resources Regarding Mental Health Issues

In my Not So Humble Opinion,

the most important thing about quitting smoking

is coming to terms with the addiction.

Once I coped to being an addict, the rest was logical.

Addiction doesn't go away.  It has changed our DNA.

This is why NOPE and NTAP  are essential in the maintenance of a successful quit.

Do not doubt yourself, you are capable of maintaining a quit, you deserve a free life, don't you ?

Edited by Sazerac
fixed links
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Welcome SOS.  I am glad you have decided to quit again.

I do get discouraged when I see a quitter that has relapsed.  I look at quitting as a gift of life.  

I hope you truly find success this time and look forward to a smoke free life and never look back.

I have depression and anxiety and found it was heightened during my quit.  I discussed it with my physician and she upped my prescription.

I can tell you my anxiety is much better since I quit.

Hang tough and beat those craves.  You can do this again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hey @Sos77! Sorry to hear you relapsed but the main thing is you've quit again! So congratulations on that. I found a lot of help in reading about addictions and how they work, psychologically especially, I had already quit until I started reading about it, properly. I found it really did something great to my brain, I was already ready to quit but it gave me an extra insight into what I was dealing with. Reading about addictions just reinforced that I will never smoke again under any circumstances. There's a lot of material on this site so hope you'll find it helpful. 

Edited by greenlight
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Sazerac... the depression part has seemed to take hold and I’m trying to stay positive. I’ve started on the medication and although I don’t want to depend on it, I need the help right now. Still no cravings! I never want to have one again. Never. I just want to get back to my self without the sadness. Thank you for checking on me. You have been such a huge support to me. 

• Like 3

People who have stayed away from cigarettes for this long will surely know how to fight it .

I think its mostly the beginner quitters who struggle the most .

I am doing alright after 6 days of no smoking .

That is because this is my 7th attempt after many gaps and relapses .

Its not even that hard especially when you know the health related issues and headaches  it causes

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sos77 said:

Hi Sazerac... the depression part has seemed to take hold and I’m trying to stay positive. I’ve started on the medication and although I don’t want to depend on it, I need the help right now. Still no cravings! I never want to have one again. Never. I just want to get back to my self without the sadness. Thank you for checking on me. You have been such a huge support to me. 

Hey Sos,

Thank you for checking in !  Please stay close.  We are all here to help you however we can.

We understand the challenges of quitting and to have depression/anxiety in the mix is not a cake walk into town.

Quitting itself can bring on the blues,

have a look at  "Quitting Smoking Blues".

Your body is going through quantum changes, S.  Please treat yourself very kindly. 

Reward yourself for everything !  This will jump start some endorphins for you.

NOPE your way through, breathe intently and purposefully.  Oxygen is the perfect drug.

You are doing GREAT !  You quit smoking !  It will get easier and easier you must believe us. 

• Like 3

You should be very proud of yourself for powering through and not giving in no matter what is thrown at you.  It's almost 3 weeks now, so some of the toughest days should be behind you.  Just keep moving forward and gain strength from each successful day.   And when things are tough (or not) you can always come here and yell at us, share a laugh, find an empathetic ear, or just distract yourself for a moment or two. 

• Like 4