No Smoking at kids football pitches in Liverpool

Doreensfree

ITV REPORT

Liverpool to stub out smoking at children's football matches

Liverpool will be stubbing out smoking at children's football matches Credit: pa

Smokefree Sidelines Liverpool will see adults who attend Liverpool Youth Football League matches from 2019/20 being asked not to smoke or vape whilst they are watching matches or at training sessions. Over 465 football teams play in the age groups up to under-11s in Liverpool with about 40,000 adults coming to cheer them on throughout the season. In Liverpool, whilst only about 15 per cent of adults smoke, research shows that if children are around adults who smoke they think it is more common than it actually is.

Credit: pa

Councillor Paul Brant from Liverpool City Council said "We know that children copy what they see and that a child who grows up around smokers is three times more likely to grow up to be a smoker. Smokefree Sidelines is all about setting a great example for our children and making sure they have a healthy future"

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It's been like that in California for years now. Same with bars and restaurants. The newest place they've added is all parks. There's pretty much nowhere that smoking is allowed here. So anyone who is having an extra hard time quitting should move to California lol

PS. That includes vaping!

Edited by jillar
  • Like 1

Is it really enforced though?   When I was still smoking, I would smoke outside with impunity (unless it was a child centric area, in which case a weird looking stranger hanging around kids and smoking would trigger a different kind of response than OMG someone is smoking)

Anyway though, outside I never was told to put it out, or move, or issued a citation.  that included hotels or businesses that said no smoking in front of building.   Heck, even the employees would stand out there to smoke. 

It’s kind of like my high school (early 80s).  Officially there was no smoking on or in school grounds, but the teachers/staff wouldn’t enforce it if you just walked out to the school  parking lot.  You could smoke in the open if you were outside the building.   If they caught you inside though, you might be punished (depending on who caught you) which might just be an unofficial punishment of confiscating your cigarettes and lighter or the full blown after school detention and parental notification.   Although back then, the parents likely knew already and allowed it.

1 hour ago, Wayne045 said:

Is it really enforced though?   When I was still smoking, I would smoke outside with impunity (unless it was a child centric area, in which case a weird looking stranger hanging around kids and smoking would trigger a different kind of response than OMG someone is smoking)

Anyway though, outside I never was told to put it out, or move, or issued a citation.  that included hotels or businesses that said no smoking in front of building.   Heck, even the employees would stand out there to smoke. 

It’s kind of like my high school (early 80s).  Officially there was no smoking on or in school grounds, but the teachers/staff wouldn’t enforce it if you just walked out to the school  parking lot.  You could smoke in the open if you were outside the building.   If they caught you inside though, you might be punished (depending on who caught you) which might just be an unofficial punishment of confiscating your cigarettes and lighter or the full blown after school detention and parental notification.   Although back then, the parents likely knew already and allowed it.

You're right. Local bylaws are rarely enforced as written but, they are there on the books at least so if some authority does get pissed at you, they can have you charged. It is enough to keep most reasonable people in line. I find most smokers are OK with these laws. I know I didn't want to make nonsmokers uncomfortable when I smoked and would go out of my way to avoid smoking in close public spaces.