What is a craving?

mightyboosh

For me it was wanting that first deep inhale of the cigarette, it was a strong desire.  Certain activities that I had tied to smoking would set that crave off.  I used Jillar's Air Cigarette to combat that crave (that and a cold juice) and that really worked!!!

• Like 7

As a smoker, it was the obsessive thought that I needed a cigarette at that moment.  As a nonsmoker,  it is an obsessive thought that I think I want a cigarette.  That is all it is - a thought.

It is a thought that does not have to be acted on.  It is a thought that no longer controls me.

• Like 7

A craving for me was the constant thought of having just one to make me feel better. Like martian my Jillar air cigarette worked every time to trick my mind and help me past the craving. That and soft peppermint puffs. Bought them by the bucket that whole first year and oddly enough haven't craved them since lol

• Like 6

I didn't understand this concept of "a craving" in the early days of my quit (almost the entire 1st month) because if I was awake, I was almost overwhelmed with the desire to smoke. It had no beginning and no end. I just didn't think about it as often when I kept myself busy. occupied and distracted. It wasn't until later that I would occasionally get a sudden urge to have a smoke. I mostly couldn't tie those to "triggers" either. It would just come out of nowhere when I was almost anything - sometimes nothing at all. I was never really tempted to smoke due to stress or life situations. I suppose I was able to keep my life and my quit separate like that. What was in my brain in terms of what I thought a cigarette would do for me? Not really sure. I guess that Ahhhhh feeling of pleasure from taking those first couple of drags. Sure am glad I never gave it up though.

• Like 8

I remember inhaling and feeling that first endorphin hit,  a feeling of happy, satisfying relief !  (sounds like an old cigarette ad, lol)
Now, I get that bump with oxygen.    Oxygen and a short break to notice something of beauty.

Deep breaths are handy.

I certainly remember the headfuck and still, snippets of its oppression pop up every blue moon.

Nicotine addiction appropriated a lot of real estate in the brain, happily reclaimable.

It's a service, really,  to remind me of NOPE.

• Like 8

At first craves made me angry and frustrated that I hadn’t waited another week/ month to quit. Angry that the rest of the world still got to smoke, then after a few weeks the knowing that even if I did take a puff now, it wouldn’t taste the same, wouldn’t give me the same satisfaction. I mourned those carefree smoke days. So glad I stuck it out and stayed positive. Life is now calm and settled.

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, catlover said:

At first craves made me angry and frustrated that I hadn’t waited another week/ month to quit. Angry that the rest of the world still got to smoke, then after a few weeks the knowing that even if I did take a puff now, it wouldn’t taste the same, wouldn’t give me the same satisfaction. I mourned those carefree smoke days. So glad I stuck it out and stayed positive. Life is now calm and settled.

I bet your Kitties are happy you quit too!

f8a982ccf8eade09e81e20b05853baf3.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

The physical dependency of addiction played a role in my cravings.  There was also the impulse of instant gratification.

However, a big part of my early cravings was little more than a desire for a return to normalcy.  Normalcy at the time meant just going back to smoking when I was used to smoking.  I was out of my comfort zone for a while and frankly didn't know what to do with myself at times without a cigarette.  I was having to act very deliberately not to light one up.  It was tempting at times to just go on autopilot and smoke like I had for the previous quarter-century.

Funny really...In March 2016, smoking felt so normal I couldn't imagine life without it.  Now, September 2019, and smoking a cigarette would feel as weird to me as lighting my hair on fire.  Never again.

• Like 4