Saw this in NYC the other day

JimHannoonen

48 minutes ago, Sazerac said:

I would've paid it back in the day.

I would have scrounged and looked between seat cushions for the change !

Same here.

In fact, I didn't really think about the cost of a pack when I was smoking.  I'm typically careful with my money and watch closely what's going out compared to what's coming in.  Not when it came to smoking though.  I had to have my smokes and would pay the going rate regardless.

Addiction controlled every other aspect of my life so it makes sense that it would control my wallet as well.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, hellkatbaby said:

That price is insane.....but I would have probably paid it too. The addiction is real.

How many of us didn't say at some point; "I'll quit when a pack of smokes costs (fill in the $ number)!" Then we made an excuse to continue when the price got there.

• Like 4

Before it was a federal law, California enacted fire safe cigarettes as a law first so I sent money to Florida each month for my mom and sis to buy the 'good' ones and send them out to me. Plus they were cheaper there. But once the rest of the state's were forced to follow suit I just bought them here. But boy did I hoard those Florida cigarettes, didn't share them with anyone who would ask to bum one lol

• Like 2

I never saved half a cigarette.  If I did not finish one, before my destination, I would just throw it away.  I thought it was so gross when people would snuff the end and save them.  

What a waste of money.   It amazes me now, how many times I tried to squeeze one in.   

• Like 1

I had snipes stashed everywhere and was too parsimonious to waste dog ends if they were big enough to light again.

I would snip off the burnt end and blow to get the old smoke out...this kept them 'fresher tasting' ?  gah.

Mostly everything was smoked down to the nub.  My poor delicate lungs...what a daily catastrophe for them, for me.

I am astoundingly proud of myself for putting down this addiction.

I am incredibly proud of all of you, also. 

• Like 5

21 hours ago, jillar said:

I did all the time because I didn't smoke in my house and commercial breaks weren't long enough to smoke a whole one. 

When was this?  Here in the US commercial breaks are getting longer and longer.  I could go out for smoke, hit restroom coming back in and still have 2 mins of commercials to watch.   Pretty bad when an hour long program only has 42 mins of actual showtime

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Wayne045 said:

When was this?  Here in the US commercial breaks are getting longer and longer.  I could go out for smoke, hit restroom coming back in and still have 2 mins of commercials to watch.   Pretty bad when an hour long program only has 42 mins of actual showtime

Guys pee faster than girls? lol I did smoke 100's so maybe because they were longer? But yes, commercial breaks are becoming longer and longer but I do have to say that there are some pretty funny commercials out there that I never knew existed when I smoked lol

• Like 3

If the price of a pack of cigarettes suddenly doubled, I wonder how many people would quit. But when they creep up, the impact doesn't feel so great. "Hey, it's just another 50 cents."

Or maybe that's just me. Because that's what I would think to myself.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Kate18 said:

If the price of a pack of cigarettes suddenly doubled, I wonder how many people would quit. But when they creep up, the impact doesn't feel so great. "Hey, it's just another 50 cents."

Or maybe that's just me. Because that's what I would think to myself.

Cost means nothing to an addict. That's why people addicted to heroin would spend money on their drug before food. That's why they would steal from their own mother or father to support their addiction. It's the same with nicotine addiction. Cost is only an annoyance - not a barrier.

The money saved since I quit is nice for sure but it is NOT the number one or even number 2 benefit to quitting.

• Like 4

I too would have paid the asking price ...no matter what when I was a smoker ...

And I would have saved half ...even a quarter of I got a puff out of my beloved cig ...

Waste not ....

But remember I was ...I mean I am a addict .....and would have done anything for my fix ...

Now I choose not to indulge...to the disgusting stinky addiction ..

• Like 1