How did you quit?

greenlight

I've shared mine on this forum before but for those who haven't seen it I quit on an impulse in the middle of the day in June 2012. Something just flipped in my head that day, I hadn't decided I'd quit or thought about it but I was increasingly annoyed at it. I went to the shop, walked out of there, lit up a cigarette as usual and realised it was the last of the pack and I'd have to go buy some more. At this point something just went in my head, I decided there and then I actually hate this and I'm never doing this again. This was 7+ years ago and I've never touched a cigarette again. I remember being really p*ssed off at the cigarettes, but even more so at myself for smoking again/still. 

My method of quitting is sudden and extreme, it may not fit everyone. Keen to hear how everyone else has quit. I think the method is irrelevant, people differ on this. It's the fact you quit and stay quit that matters. 

Edited by greenlight
  • Like 7

I knew I needed to quit so I prepared by quitting smoking in the spots I normally smoked so that when I did quit I wouldn't associate those places with smoking. Mainly my garage. Then on Memorial day weekend 2016 I just decided not to buy anymore cigarettes. I didn't tell anyone until about day three when I told my husband. 

Him being a never smoker helped by going with me if I had to go out because I didn't trust myself not to buy cigarettes.

Edited by jillar
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, jillar said:

I knew I needed to quit so I prepared by quitting smoking in the spots I normally smoked so that when I did quit I wouldn't associate those places with smoking. Mainly my garage. Then on Memorial day weekend 2016 I just decided not to buy anymore cigarettes. I didn't tell anyone until about day three when I told my husband. 

Him being a never smoker helped by going with me if I had to go out because I didn't trust myself not to buy cigarettes.

This is awesome!! Love how you just quietly did it. Props to your husband for being a big help :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Cold Turkey on a whim.

The whim quickly turned into a personal challenge to myself.

I thought, 'I'll try this for a year and see what the year brings'

Educating myself about nicotine addiction was the seminal component to my quit.

After a few days, I knew I was never going to smoke again.

• Like 7

Just now, Sazerac said:

Educating myself about nicotine addiction was the seminal component to my quit.

This, this, this! I also quit on a whim and then spent significant time educating myself about addictions. I realised I'm never going to be free from it, I Ill always be an addict. Hence I will never smoke again. 

• Like 6

I had made multiple attempts to quit before and once again failed during the summer of 2014.

I was upset over that and I was going to turn 39 that October.  It occurred to me that 40 was right around the corner.  I had said that I was going to quit when....I graduated college, I turned 25, I turned 30, etc....and here I was still a smoker in my late 30's and I knew I had to quit soon.  If I hadn't already done irreversible damage to my body, it wasn't going to be long.  (I already had a horrible smokers cough, was always tired, depressed, etc.)

Instead of jumping into another quit attempt, I decided to educate myself by looking for resources on the internet.  I stumbled across QSMB (another quit site that no longer exists but many of us are from there), joined, and the support and knowledge I got there helped me quit and stay quit for good.

I think support and knowledge is what helped a lot of us which is why many long term quitters are still here.

So, I quit cold turkey with the help of online support and knowledge (not to mention Allen Carr's book which I would recommend to anyone trying to quit).

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, johnny5 said:

Instead of jumping into another quit attempt, I decided to educate myself by looking for resources on the internet.  I stumbled across QSMB (another quit site that no longer exists but many of us are from there), joined, and the support and knowledge I got there helped me quit and stay quit for good.

So, I quit cold turkey with the help of online support and knowledge (not to mention Allen Carr's book which I would recommend to anyone trying to quit).

I'm sure I joined QSMB when I quit and  I'm sure you were there johnny5? I've always thought you seemed familiar from that time. 

I actually second Allen Carr's book even though I didn't quit based on that now. I did once quit based on reading his book for nearly a year though (until I got cocky and thought I am no longer addicted)

• Like 7

Mentally, I quit on a Sat. about 10:30 AM when I was loading groceries into my car on a cold, damp January day. I was coughing hard and what did I do .... I pulled my cigarette pack out of my coat and lit one up. That initiated another bout of harsh coughing. Probably not the first time that had happened but for some reason, it clicked in my brain ; "You gotta quit this bullsh*t"! Next morning I had my last smoke on waking up at about 8:30 AM.

I was convinced I would fail so did not tell anyone I had quit. I kept the mostly full pack of cigs I had - just in case! I have no idea how I made it through those early days. It was pretty overwhelming so I basically just became a nico-zombie! Not knowing what to do or what to think but I did know I just couldn't smoke even one or my battle would be for nothing and it was too disruptive to my entire being to have to ever go back to the place I was on that Saturday. There were a few pinnacles in those first few months where I had to really focus on what I wanted my future life to look like. I guess it was maybe 6 or 7 months in when through whatever circumstance I was in then, I just suddenly knew .... I would never smoke again. Since then, It's been pretty smooth sailing. I still think about smoking at times even though I can't imagine myself as a smoker yet I have enough respect for myself and for the fact I am a nicotine addict for life to ever consider lighting up another smoke for any reason what-so-ever! I know I have to live the rest of my life by the same principal I have done for the past couple of years - NOPE! And, that doesn't bother me in the least :) 

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, reciprocity said:

Mentally, I quit on a Sat. about 10:30 AM when I was loading groceries into my car on a cold, damp January day. I was coughing hard and what did I do .... I pulled my cigarette pack out of my coat and lit one up. That initiated another bout of harsh coughing. Probably not the first time that had happened but for some reason, it clicked in my brain ; "You gotta quit this bullsh*t"! Next morning I had my last smoke on waking up at about 8:30 AM.

I was convinced I would fail so did not tell anyone I had quit. I kept the mostly full pack of cigs I had - just in case! I have no idea how I made it through those early days. It was pretty overwhelming so I basically just became a nico-zombie! Not knowing what to do or what to think but I did know I just couldn't smoke even one or my battle would be for nothing and it was too disruptive to my entire being to have to ever go back to the place I was on that Saturday. There were a few pinnacles in those first few months where I had to really focus on what I wanted my future life to look like. I guess it was maybe 6 or 7 months in when through whatever circumstance I was in then, I just suddenly knew .... I would never smoke again. Since then, It's been pretty smooth sailing. I still think about smoking at times even though I can't imagine myself as a smoker yet I have enough respect for myself and for the fact I am a nicotine addict for life to ever consider lighting up another smoke for any reason what-so-ever! I know I have to live the rest of my life by the same principal I have done for the past couple of years - NOPE! And, that doesn't bother me in the least :) 

Holy shit, this is inspiring!!!

This is why I wanted to start this thread. To highlight the different journeys people have taken to get to where they are and I hope some of them will inspire someone who is reading this forum and thinking of whether they should quit. 

• Like 4

My daughter was visiting from Australia..I told her about this pain in my ankles and they looked bruised..

Of course I was forced to the doctor's ....

Basically told Quit smoking ..like ...now ....or face the consequences......possibly amputation ...

There's nothing like pure Fear .to bring on a sticky quit ...

We got home ....my daughter begged me to quit with tears rolling down her cheeks ...

I've never had a cigarette since that morning 

I made a promise ...and i kept it ...

Kept my feet too ...

I found a forum ,met the most wonderful lady ,who took me under her wing .... read Allen Card too...

And a promise ...

• Like 7

Randomly tossed the rest of the pack out the window on the commute home from work ( go ahead - arrest Sarge ... he littered ... ) and haven't looked back since. 
Unplanned. Unforseen randomness. 

Sarge admits to thinking about it for months prior (due to a bad Doc Visit (High blood pressure, high cholesterol, pre-diabetic - ( all the metabolic and health/lifestyle bullshit we're free to change but rarely do)), but it just sorta ... happened ... completely at random one otherwise un-noteworthy day on the ride home from work. 

It's been 8 years. 
It'll be a lifetime to go ... 

EZPZ

• Like 7

I had known for sometime that I had needed to quit.  Then a long talk with my doctor and then another long talk with her nurse over the phone (all based on test's and symptoms) that I had really needed to quit.  I thought long and hard and realized that the doctor and nurse were being really concerned not just preaching from the normal medical standpoint that smoking is bad for you but really concerned about my health and well being.  I told the nurse I would  think about it and discuss on my appointment in the next couple of weeks.  Well about a week from that appointment I woke up in the morning had a cigarette and saw I only had a couple left --- instead of going to the store I though about the doctor/nurse talks and did not go to the store -- have not smoked since.  Needless to say when the doctor asked a week later about what I needed to quit I told her that I was a week into my quit (ever since that day my doctor and I have  had  a much better relationship and is always on the look out for  medical problems more so now).  That was also the day I found this sight and stuck to it to educate myself on all things to do with quitting and feel that it was a true life saver.  Anyway kind of long statement but it is what it is and I am proud to say  I am a non-smoker -- something I thought I would never be able to say!!!!!

Edited by Martian5
  • Like 6

I had my last cig on 2/10/17 while standing outside a friend's truck waiting for him to open door for me....we had just left Urgent Care office and I was told I was in the throes of a stroke, my friend was taking me to hospital. I smoked it halfway and then flung the butt into a snowbank and said "that's it, no more smoking for me!" 

Since then I found out that damage had been done to my arteries - the following year I had a triple bypass open heart surgery. I thank god that I quit when I did!!

• Like 7

I quit cold turkey in August 2012. I was standing outside, coughing after every drag because I had yet another cold. I asked myself, "Is this really worth it?" I just started a new job and was in training for 3 weeks, so I decided to focus on that instead of smoking. It certainly wasn't easy, but it has been so rewarding.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Leanna said:

I quit cold turkey in August 2012. I was standing outside, coughing after every drag because I had yet another cold. I asked myself, "Is this really worth it?" I just started a new job and was in training for 3 weeks, so I decided to focus on that instead of smoking. It certainly wasn't easy, but it has been so rewarding.

Lovely to see you Leanna xx

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Leanna said:

Thanks Doreen! Happy to see you too :)I really missed you guys. 

And shame on me @Leanna! I missed your 7th Quitaversary 😯

I now have you back in my database so this will not happen again next year :) 

A much deserved (but belated) Happy 7th Smoke Free Year!!

cqeDYDc.gif

• Like 4

My quit is only a couple of weeks old so some will remember my introductory post but here is a reminder.

I've suffered from poor circulation in my right leg for a few years knowing full well that it was due to smoking. However, my latest test showed a move from 80% efficiently down to 70%. The particular nurse who did the test didn't beat about the bush and said I could eventually lose my leg if I didn't quit. Other medics have told me of the dangers before but she had a manner and piercing gaze that finally made me see sense. I wasn't too keen on her at the time because she was quite brusque and not like the previous ones but I must thank her though as I really needed that kind of approach. A big kick up the ass it was and much appreciated.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Sazerac said:

Great to see your NOPE, Leanna.  I missed you.

5 hours ago, reciprocity said:

And shame on me @Leanna! I missed your 7th Quitaversary 😯

I now have you back in my database so this will not happen again next year :) 

A much deserved (but belated) Happy 7th Smoke Free Year!!

cqeDYDc.gif

5 hours ago, Sazerac said:

Happy SEVEN years of Freedom @Leanna !  Thank you for lighting the way.

I've missed you guys too! And thank you so much :)

5 hours ago, mightyboosh said:

My quit is only a couple of weeks old so some will remember my introductory post but here is a reminder.

I've suffered from poor circulation in my right leg for a few years knowing full well that it was due to smoking. However, my latest test showed a move from 80% efficiently down to 70%. The particular nurse who did the test didn't beat about the bush and said I could eventually lose my leg if I didn't quit. Other medics have told me of the dangers before but she had a manner and piercing gaze that finally made me see sense. I wasn't too keen on her at the time because she was quite brusque and not like the previous ones but I must thank her though as I really needed that kind of approach. A big kick up the ass it was and much appreciated.

You know what? I would be tempted to by her a thank you card and write a short note to her basically saying what you just said here. I bet she would be over the moon about getting something like that. She'd probably frame it :) 

• Like 4