1 month in

Roark

Hey everyone - I'm Roark and I'm on day 38 after quitting.

This is my second quit.  The first came in my late 20s after about ten years of smoking and I did it with nicotine patches. 

I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis in my late 30s and had a rough, rough time.  At several points I lost up to 20 pounds in the space of a week, only to put it back on with the help of steroids.  Discovered the link between smoking and UC and went back to limited smoking to help control symptoms.  Have been through about five rough years of trying to get UC under control.  Was facing down a pretty significant surgery when the doc finally hit the right medication that is controlling the UC by itself.

And to prove that, I put the cigarettes back down because I really need to know if the meds are handling the UC without the help or if I needed to move to the surgery anyway.  And 38 days in, my blood tests are better than they ever have been.  The meds are working and it seems I've finally hit remission.  And that's awesome.

But after 38 days I am struggling with this quit in ways I never did with the first one.

And I've found that reading other's stories helps me keep my eye on the ball.  I'm not folding on this one, no matter what but this is one tough ride that is kicking back a lot harder than I expected.

• Like 9

Welcome to Quit Train Roark :) We are a small but dedicated family of quitters here who love to support others, no matter what their motivation or method of quitting. You certainly have a great motivator to keep that quit going. Our health is of utmost importance and quitting is the best thing you can do to improve your future health.

Congrats on your first month. That is normally the hardest period of your quit. What specifically is bothering you at this point> Let us know and someone will no doubt have had experience with the same quit symptom and can possibly help you. Also, read as much as you can on the site here. Education about nicotine addiction is the key to unlocking your smoke free future!

Have a look through the library of Joel videos too. They touch on almost every issue you might face. Use all the tools you can to keep that quit.

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 6

I am having all day craves.  For the second week in a row, Monday has started with me wanting to fold on the quit and I am fighting mentally for what feels like the whole day to keep from going to the store for a smoke.

This Monday was easier than last week, where this went on until well into Wednesday.  The good news is that the end of the week and the weekend are getting almost easy.

I read a lot of the websites saying craves will come and go in minutes and that isn't the world I'm in right now.  I know that seeing cigarettes as the horrible things they are is the key.  Being glad I'm quit and free from the addiction - and at good times I'm all over that.  Spend this weekend exercising.  Swimming and also pulled my old bike back out and rode for 3 miles on Saturday (to come home gasping for air and wanting the whole "lungs coming back" thing to go faster).

But in the bad times, like today, my brain just cannot accept that cigarettes are the enemy and I torture myself for the full day.

I've got my eye on day 50, coming up next week.  Then day 100 beyond that.

Somewhere along the way these cravings will stop.

• Like 5

Yes they will stop for sure. I too had that same kind of feeling but it was in the early days of my quit when the cravings seemed to go on 24/7 with no start and no end between them. I can't tell you when all that abated but it did - that's the important thing. It sounds as though you are active and in a purposeful way so that's a good thing. Distraction by what ever way is a good way to over ride the constant cravings. Beep breathing as well to lower the anxiety those cravings cause. I know you're looking forward to day 100 etc. but just focus on today. Then tomorrow. We pledge our NOPE (Not One Puff Ever) daily - just for that day. Then, we do the same thing tomorrow. And so it goes. Easier in small bites sometimes :) 

• Like 4

Hi Roark, welcome aboard our train of quitters :) Congratulations on 38 days quit, that's awesome! I had those constant all day craves that drive me crazy too 😵 What I used was my handy, dandy JAC (jillars air cigarette). I just pretended I was holding a cigarette in my fingers and then went through the motions of 'smoking' it. I looked like an idiot lol but boy it sure worked at tricking my mind into thinking it was getting the real thing. Plus they deep clean breathing doing it felt great :)

I also took advantage of all the various forums from socializing, celebrating, playing games, etc to keep my mind distracted so be sure to check them out :)

• Like 5

Hi Roark.  Don't give into that crave.  You are 38 days in so the nicotine is out of your system.  Just breath deep and concentrate on the prize - A life free of addiction.

Educate yourself, take the NOPE pledge each day and stay close to the forum.  This is a wonderful group of people, who are dedicated in helping you quit.

Hang in there!

197519-Inhale-Confidence-Exhale-Doubt.jpg

• Like 5

Welcome to this magical train ...it will take you all the way to Freedom ...all you need is the desire and determination to get there ....

Congrats on your great Quit ...this is indeed a journey ...but the reward is amazing ...

Stay close to the board ,read,read and more reading ...watch all Joel's videos ...knowledge is the weapon you need ...your stronger than any crave that Nico Monster throws your way ...

Take the daily pledge ...one day at a time ,is how you win this war ....

• Like 4

Welcome aboard Roark glad to have you along on this journey and congrats on the 38 days.  As you mentioned already it seems the craves are getting a little bit better and they will continue to do so but it will take a little time but it does get easier as the days go by.  The psychological aspect can be at times the rough one to go thru while quitting but each day you battle and win the stronger you will become.  Just keep your commitment and your focus and you will get thru this.  Come by often to socialize and educate yourself and use the daily NOPE pledge -- it truly helped me!!!

• Like 4

Congratulations on your quit @Roark ! and welcome to our merry band of quitters.

The sooner you acknowledge and distract yourself from smokey thought, the easier it gets.  It takes effort, no doubt ! 

I chose to replace smokey thought with something of beauty.

Like,  looking at that light on that leaf or listening to a piece of music or revisiting a special memory.

Taking serious mindful breaths (with @jillar's air cigarette !)

The 'move a muscle change a thought' adage is also very useful and helps to switch up smokey thoughts.

Also, something our friend, @Sirius, said really stuck with me,

"The next time a craving plunks down on your face ask yourself, "What price you are willing to pay to own yourself?"

You also need to reward yourself which helps to re-wire your brain.

The Significance of Rewards

• Like 4

Welcome aboard Roark.  Congratulations on going smoke-free.

You already have 38 days under your belt.  You can definitely do one more day.

And you just keep doing one more day, take 'em as they come.  Time accumulates quickly and eventually not smoking will feel far more normal than lighting one up would.

Relentless forward progress is the path to freedom.

• Like 6

Welcome aboard, Roark and congratulations on 38 days smoke free.  Some days are better than others early on but the craves do lessen with time.

Keep focused on not taking another puff and things will improve.  Quitting may be difficult early on but life as a non-smoker is worth it.

Stick close to this site.  There is a lot of knowledge and support that can be gained here and we all want you to succeed.

• Like 4

Thanks all.  As is always the case and in line with what I've learned - today was a lot easier.  It comes and goes but days like today will be more common and days like yesterday will be less.

As long as I don't cave and start the whole thing over.

Thanks for the insight everyone.  Happy to be here.

• Like 8

Hope you are doing good, @Roark,

Craves should be getting farther and farther apart

but, stay very alert for triggers...many triggers are seasonal and it is just a matter of living through the first year.

Triggers sometimes jump out of the blue but, they will be the dying embers of your smokey days.

• Like 5

Really enjoying the smoke free life I'm putting together.

Wife and I rode our bikes to the community center pool today, then rode back home.  Cooked outside for both lunch and dinner.  Football and baseball on the couch.

Starting to really see that it's up to me to invent my new life.  When you quit, you are left sitting around with a "hole" in your life.  You are just waiting to smoke, and can't.

But six weeks in I don't even think about smoking when I'm doing one of the "new" things.  Exercise.  Leaving the house.  The new list of "to dos" that I've taken on.

The restlessness comes on when I'm doing something I used to do.  Sitting on the couch in the evening with a beer watching football.  And while I totally get the whole idea of avoiding things that "trigger" you early on, I think I'm to the point where I am going to draw some lines and push through.  Reclaim some parts of my life from the smoky mindset and I totally now see that involves pushing through the cravings and doing those things "smokeless" until it takes.

• Like 11

You're doing great Roark, sounds like an awesome day.  I refused to give up my Coors light when I quit smoking so I made sure to drink a couple everyday so it wouldn't trigger me. 

I love your profile pic. Is that your 19 year old? My girl is 15 now and hearing stories like yours makes me hopeful my Cookie will live at least that long too :)

• Like 5

Roark I went thru the same thing -- trying to fill that hole up.  I walk more now, goof with the grandchildren more, don't worry about where I am going  (don't have to plan the cigarette time and place and that is just awesome, something you don't realize at first).  It does get better and you find your new normal even with the things you did before.  Congrats on the quit so far!!!!

• Like 5

Love your post Roark! You really have your head screwed on straight, as the saying goes - lol.

Learning to create that new nonsmoker lifestyle is what takes the longest and I also believe it's where many fall by the wayside because they simply can't exist in that void for very long and don't make the effort soon enough to create a new life for themselves. You will get used to doing things you used to do as a smoker. It takes some time is all. Fighting off the cravings you get initially will make those things easier to do in future without smoking but having "new" interests to immerse yourself into is a great incentive to continue on with your smoke free life! Great stuff Roark :) 

• Like 7

21 hours ago, Roark said:

The restlessness comes on when I'm doing something I used to do.  Sitting on the couch in the evening with a beer watching football.  And while I totally get the whole idea of avoiding things that "trigger" you early on, I think I'm to the point where I am going to draw some lines and push through.  Reclaim some parts of my life from the smoky mindset and I totally now see that involves pushing through the cravings and doing those things "smokeless" until it takes.

Most of this process comes down to commitment, time, and repetition.  Those looking for quick fixes and hacks typically only complicate an otherwise straightforward and simple process.  Those who are ready to just drive on and get it done are the ones who build rock-solid quits.

You are in the process of building a rock-solid quit for yourself.

21 hours ago, Roark said:

Really enjoying the smoke free life I'm putting together.

And it just gets better from here.

Enjoy the ride.

• Like 3