Quitting tomorrow

mightyboosh

Hi everyone.

My name is Phil and I'm 62. I've smoked since I was about 18 but I gave up in 1997 for seven years, cold turkey, then started again. How stupid was that? 

I will give my illogical excuses for starting again when I get going on this site.

About 4 years ago I started with cramp pains in my right leg after walking a few hundred yards. I went to the vascular clinic and it turned out that I have narrowing of the artery. The efficiency then was 80%. I have been a couple of times since with no change, the latest being 12 mths ago. I went again today and it's gone down to 70%. Obviously I should have given up 4yrs ago but I'm a smoker so all the usual nonsense thinking got in the way.

It's now hit home so my last fag is before I go to bed tonight. I'm going cold turkey again as I've tried all the other replacements including e-cigs during past half-hearted attempts to give up. I also had a course of Champix to no effect. I know CT is the only way for me.

I've joined to get, and hopefully give, moral support during the days/weeks/months ahead.

My average is 20-25 a day.

Thanks for reading.

• Like 8

Welcome aboard mightboosh and congratulations on taking back your life! You will get all the support you need or want here. We know what you'll be going through because we've been there and made it out the other side, and so will you :)

We have lots to do here from reading about nicotine addiction to socializing to keep your mind off the cravings so be sure to check out all our various forums :) 

Edited by jillar
  • Like 5

Welcome to QuitTrain, mightyboosh.  Quitting smoking is a wonderful thing to do and I hope you realize that you were much better off during your seven years quit than when you came back to smoking.  

You are right.  The excuses you have for going back to smoking are illogical.  Smoking offers nothing positive at all.  Everything that comes with smoking is poisonous and deadly.  

It is good that you see that.  Stick around.  Read and participate as much as you can.  There is a lot of knowledge and support here that you can gain to help you become a non-smoker for good.

• Like 5

Hey Phil! You have come to the right place for support in quitting. All of us here are quitters and we really do get it! Stick around and read all your can plus watching the Joel quit smoking videos will help you as well. Education about nicotine addiction is key to quitting. The support you'll get here will also help you. Post often. Talk about your experience and you'll get tips from others that have gone through the same thing. Hope to see you around in the coming days. Look for the NOPE pledge page and commit your NOPE every day (Not One Puff Ever).

By the way, I was a CT quitter too. Noting wrong with that. Early days are tough but later on it's a plus I believe. Anyway you can quit is the right way for YOU!

Oh yeah ... when you quit, fill out your quit date so we can mark your quit anniversaries and get a ticker too. It's encouraging to watch the money savings and the cigarettes not smoked. If you need some help with that, let us know :) 

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 5

Welcome aboard Phil and congrats on taking more control of your life.  I quit at 64 and it can be done (spurred on by medical advice from doctor since damage was done-- but doing better now).  As you know from the past quit it may be tough but the benefits are so much better.  I too went CT and I think was the best way to go -- I had tried various NRT's with no luck.  Just make the commitment, keep the focus, and come here for all the support you need -- we will be here!!!

• Like 4

Welcome aboard Phil.  Good call on giving up the smokes.

I was a cold turkey quitter as well.  The simplicity and immediacy of that method worked for me.  There were times when I wanted a smoke...they passed.  

Buckle up, knuckle down, and drive on.

• Like 4

Hi Mightyboosh.  You found the right place to quit.  I smoked for 42 years and tried every way possible to quit.  This wonderful group of supporters were the trick for me.  

You can do this.  Just read and educate yourself about the addiction.  Stay close to the forum.  We are here to help you through.

• Like 5

Welcome to our merry band of quitters, @mightyboosh !

We are around the same age and I quit cold turkey almost six years ago.

I found a lot of motivation by learning all I could about nicotine addiction.

You may find this post useful, 10 Ways To Effectively Use This Forum To Help Yourself Quit Smoking

These Joel Spitzer videos Daily Lesson Quitting Guide

and a great thread filled with things that got us through,  Your First Days, Nicotine Free

Stash up on fruit juices to keep your blood sugar in check, cold water, and little treats to reward yourself for every crave conquered.

You will do fine !  Let us know any questions you may have and let us know how you are doing.

S

• Like 3

Welcome aboard mightyboosh. Your journey to quit is similar to mine. I am 69 years old and smoked most all of my life except for a few years I quit in my thirties. It took the vascular problem and a bout of pneumonia and 9 days in the hospital to FINALLY knock some sense in my head. This is tough but not as tough as I`d always thought it would be. Desire to change is the key and commit to it with all your heart and soul. You are in a great place here with wonderful people with a lot of knowledge and support. Stay aboard because it`s never too late for us old timers to quit! Stay close to the board and give yourself the chance to succeed. You can do this. You have done it before and you can do it again. Best wishes and hope to see you hanging around.

• Like 5

Welcome aboard @mightyboosh....

You are amongst friends here...who have been exactly where you are ...

I too am late sixties ....who quit because of health issues ...heading for amputation ...

Read all you can here...watch all Joel's video,s ,he covers most subjects .....

Join in the fun ,the gossip,supporting others ,this all helps solidate your own quit ...

Looking forward to getting to know you better ..

• Like 4

I think it is good to try not to gain too much weight in the early stages of a quit but don't obsess over it.  You can always lose weight later.  You can't, however, lose some of the illnesses that come along with continuing to smoke.

A lot of people picked up exercise early on to keep them occupied and keep their mind off of smoking.  Replacing a negative habit with a positive one is great.

I was also told early on to drink a lot of juice and water in the first few days to speed up nicotine leaving the body.  Drinking a lot of water can also help keep you feeling full and less apt to snack too much.

However, please remember that quitting smoking is the healthiest thing you can do right now.  Gaining a few pounds in the early days is not the end of the world.  Many people who have quit have later picked up exercise and leaving an all around healthier life.  Quitting smoking is a huge step towards a healthier life and can lead to other lifestyle changes down the line.

• Like 9

Great job on the first day.  As to the question on controlling the eating -- that will be a hard one since your taste will be coming back and you will probably find that somewhat enjoyable.  I would say don't deprive yourself there, you might gain a few pounds but in the end you can lose that.  I discussed this with my doctor and she told me not to worry about eating or gaining some weight but to focus on the quitting cigarettes.  I did gain some  weight but have now gone down to my weight prior to quitting.  The main thing here is that getting off cigarettes will be far more beneficial to you at this time and to watch your food intake but do not worry about too much at this time!!!!

• Like 7

You are doing great !  Don't fret about the weight but, do think about moving your body around. 

It is a great way to kill craves and re-program your brain to dole out endorphins for the right reason.

This can be low impact exercise like yoga or stretching exercises or running marathons like some of our members have ended up completing.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, mightyboosh said:

Any advice on controlling compensatory eating would be helpful.

Here are resources from our friend, Joel Spitzer.

Weight Related Resources

and 'I'd Rather Be A Little Overweight Not Smoking Than Underweight And Dead"

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 5

Your doing great ...my advice ..is....Don't over think ....one day at a time ....

Those few pounds you gain is a small price to pay for stopping a killer addiction ...

Once you get confident with your quit ....you can shed those few pounds ...

• Like 5

Your priority for the first while is solidifying your quit and making sure it's rock solid. I gained weight and frankly still have some extra tonnage on board but I don't smoke so I'm good with that!

If you are really concerned about the weight issue, feed yourself healthy, low calorie snacks. Get into exercising which will keep your mind occupied and will also keep you busy and burn calories. I didn't do either of those but that was my choice. Bottom line is, your quit is Job #1 for the foreseeable future :) 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, mightyboosh said:

Day 3 and I'm still OK. I think because I've seen the light re: my circulation, it's making it easier than if I just 'wanted' to give up, 

Glad you stuck with it your body will thank you! This board is a great resource for all things QUIT.  Don't worry about weight gain at the start you can always lose that later. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mightyboosh said:

Day 3 and I'm still OK. I think because I've seen the light re: my circulation, it's making it easier than if I just 'wanted' to give up, 

Congratulations on day 3, mightyboosh.

Circulation is a big deal.  Your body is so happy you have quit.

Everybody gets happy with circulation...

Sex, Health, Money & Time

• Like 2