Newbie - Quit Today

Yep2019

Hi, new here. Glad to have found the site. I’m home today from work and didn’t have a plan to stop smoking until this morning. I’m tired of wheezing and stinking, and have been thinking of stopping for months. What pushed me toward a decision this morning is I ran out of cigs and don’t feel well to go out to buy more. So I figured now’s the time! A part of me doesn’t want to stop - I have to be honest. Yet I know I must.  I’ve stopped before for many years but it didn’t last. This is it. I have to be done. I’m always exhausted, have a very stressful job, and don’t exercise much since starting to smoke again a few years ago. I’m headed for a heart attack, stroke, COPD, etc., if I don't wise up now. 

Thanks.

• Like 14

Oh, how exciting, Yep.  Welcome to our merry band of quitters,

I and many others have quit 'on a whim' and have successful quits.

Congratulations !  You Quit Smoking !

The most important things you can do are:

Educate yourself about nicotine addiction

and

Commit to NOPE (Not One Puff Ever) and stick to it.

This thread may help you

10 Ways To Effectively Use This Forum To Quit Smoking

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard Yep you are making a strong decision.  As above plenty of cold fluids, deep breathing techniques, and reviewing this site to educate yourself about nicotine and quitting -- all is good information.  Remain focused and committed -- it can be a tough journey but coming here can help you thru it.  You will find that this can the best decision you can make.  Again welcome and keep strong!!!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hey there Yep & welcome to Quit Train. I read your intro and agree with all you said. Yes! Quit now and start healing your body. Trading smoking for exercise would be a huge gain for you personally :) More often then not, we don't know we even have a smoking related disease until it's too late so today is always the best day to quit!

Dig in because there will be challenges especially in early days but keep your eye on the prize because the prize is freedom from nicotine addiction and a better (probably longer) life for you. Read all you can here and watch the Joel videos. They address almost any situation you will encounter. Stick real close to this site for support from other quitters because you'll get lots of that :) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard this magical Train....

It goes all the way to freedom....as others have posted Reading and watching ,will be your weapon against the beast...

We have a daily pledge ...a great tool....we take it one day at a time ....

We have other newbies here ...so your amongst friends ...you don't have to do this alone 

You will have all the support you need to succeed...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard Yep.  Good call on giving up the smokes.

3 hours ago, Yep2019 said:

A part of me doesn’t want to stop - I have to be honest. 

That's called addiction.  When you stop feeding it, it loses its power and goes away.

Grab a seat and enjoy the ride.  This Train is a fast-track to freedom.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Welcome  @Yep2019 , so glad you found us.  I felt the same as you, around this time last year.  I found this forum and with the help and support of the people here, have finally found freedom from the addiction.  Stay close and start educating yourself, join in the conversations and play some games. I pledged NOPE every day.  The first week is tough and then it is just redirecting your thoughts.  You can do this.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Diane R said:

Welcome yep everyone here is so supportive. And the information is  invaluable. Good luck with your first day! You can do it. One day at a time.

You see @Yep2019 ..... @Diane R has only been with us less than a month and is already supporting others while she crafts her own early quit and she will find out that participating like this will not only help others but it will also serve to solidify her own quit. Join in yourself as much as you can because that same concept applies to all. 

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Feeling super foggy headed and tired. But ok, thanks. At work on my break. I never smoked at work so not an issue. Last night was tough and I’m guessing tonight may be. Once I’m off work in 5 and a half hrs I may have a bit of a time but will overcome it! I have to be done. I think I’m ok so far and sure appreciate the help!! I may take y’all up on it later😆.

• Like 7

Hey @Yep2019 and welcome to the forum! Congratulations on making this fantastic decision, it's 100% going to be one you won't ever regret making. I quit in a very similar fashion to you, without a plan, ran out of cigs and decided on a whim not to buy any more or ever smoke again. It's worked for me, it's been 7+ years now. 

The foggy-headed feeling is part of the deal in the beginning, I had that too. I remember feeling light-headed and dizzy for the first couple of days but it soon settled. The main thing is to stick with it, your body is adjusting and basically getting back to normal again. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Yep2019 said:

I never smoked at work

Most people, as far as I know, need that smoke break at work, I was like that too. Avoiding a smoke at work (which can be a major stress factor) is good on you. May be your work place doesn't allow smoking.

Edited by Ankush
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The foggy headedness - sometimes that does last a while. I always kept thinking I was leaving something - Stopping at the front door right before leaving digging thru my purse like a check list before I dare lock and close it. Keys, wallet, phone, glasses etc?  Yup all here aside of Ahhh the pack of smokes! V8 head smack. Or be in the middle of a work thought and just go blank like what WAS I doing again???  Fumbling in the car for what? Ahhh the old familiar - DOH. It's all a normal part of the process just keep your course and remember you are doing this for a very wise reason because after this foggy restlessness you will start to notice so many good things. Smell!! Taste!!! And the 1st time you can take a deep unwheezing breath of fresh air that it almost scares you because feel light headed from just AIR!!!! Crazy I know lol but it's true. Wishing you all the power you need for your weekend! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1