Oh, boy....

NoNicChick

Monster cravings and the thought that I *could* buy a pack when I go out later...thats how my relapses start, with that insidious thought, and it grows and grows until I can't stand it anymore so I thought I"d better start asking for help right away instead of waiting. So far this quit that started Sunday evening, I've stayed in the safe smoke free oasis of my home. This mix of "I want to" and "I don't want to" is maddening. I'm leaving around 11:30 this morning and need to solidify my quit. I know the reasons not to smoke but I need to hear them anyway. And, go!

• Like 5

Good on you for posting NoNicChick, that only solidifies your quit and shows you that you really want to stay smoke free. I too stayed close to home my whole first month and only ventured out if my never smoker husband could go with me because I didn't trust myself not to buy a pack. So if you havee a non smoker available see if they can go with you today.

I also used my air cigarette when bad craves came. I just pretended I was holding an actual cigarette in my fingers then went through the motions of "smoking" it. It worked great at tricking my mind into thinking it was getting the real thing.

Edited by jillar
  • Like 4

Great that you posted you are recognizing that others can help.  Focus on all the benefits of being smoke free -- you are on day 4/5 so you should be shedding the actual physical dependence and that is what can be the most difficult.  Now you are going to be facing all the psychological cravings -- you are going to start rewiring your brain to a new normal and so many benefits is going to await you.  Now is the time to really use deep breathing techniques, use the cold water/fluids, and hard candy can help and there is always Jillar's Air Cigarette -- this can really provide some great help.  Do not let the negative thoughts grow, start thinking more towards what a smoke free life will be like and focus on that.  Come here often to reach out and research all the educational materials that are here, they will truly help.  You can do this!!!!

• Like 3

Thank you to all of you....today is day 2, such a baby quit! I like the idea of the air cigarette. It reminded me of a previous quit where I used a small coffee stirrer/straw, the ones that come in different colors, and "smoked" that. It became part of the whole ritual to pick the color straw for the day instead of opening the pack and picking which cig to take out. Thank you for that reminder. I'll use both your air cig and some straws, deep breathe, make some ice water....one of my stops today is to get some gum and hard candies so thats good. 🙂

• Like 4

Glad to help anyone keep their quit :) You can also post a pre response SOS letter to yourself about your reasons for quitting and staying quit. A lot of members find it useful to read it back when a bad craving hits. That thread is pinned to the top of this forum.

• Like 4

Breathe, watch your blood sugar (drink fruit juice or have a luscious peach), drink water.

Stay Focused.  You have quit smoking.  That is that.  There is no longer an argument or conversation about it.  YOU QUIT SMOKING !

Think of our friend, Sirius', words,

"The next time a craving plunks down on your face ask yourself, "What price you are willing to pay to own yourself?"

and REWARD yourself especially for the gnarly moments.  You are doing GREAT.

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 4

Thanks...I think getting through this first venture out of the house is very important....I'm almost to the top of a hill and its super hard but once I crest it I'll feel victorious and it will help beef up my quit whenever I have a challenging situation

• Like 3

Yes! You KNOW that smoking is bad for you but that junkie thinking creeps in and it can be strong in the early days. Our worst enemy in quitting is ourselves. Controlling your thoughts is what's need and you CAN do that. When that junkie thinking starts creeping in - push it out with thoughts of the benefits of quitting. Those good things you are already noticing. You don't smell of stale smoke all the time (and that really is brutal to others). You're spending less $$ daily. Your food tastes better already your breathing in only fresh air. There's a ton of good stuff to focus your thoughts on.  And, best of all, self pride in KNOWING you can beat this SOB addiction at it's own game :) 

• Like 4

Force your mind away from smokes.

Look at something beautiful and study it seriously.

Listen intently to a favorite piece of music.

These things will give you a shot of dopamine.

Think of someone or something you love very much and expand the thought.

• Like 3

Grrr that Nico monster ...he whispers down our ear....

Your stronger than him....turn all your negative thoughts  into positive ones...

Everytime you win a battle with him...your winning your war....and killing him ..he knows he's in trouble ...

• Like 3

Great job reaching out, NoNic.  I can so relate to everything you are saying.  I spent the early days having constant arguments with myself, deciding that I would stop on the way home from work a pick up some cigarettes, and then talking myself out of it at the last second every time I passed a gas station or store.  I was the worst, but still somehow pulled it off so please know that it can be done, even if it isn't always pretty.  You've got this — one hour, one day, at a time.  It will get easier and before you know it you will be looking back on these first days and be so happy that they are behind you. 

• Like 3