Never Give Up Giving Up

jillar

I cared a lot what the people here thought (well, not here exactly, but at the last board where I "met" many of you for the first time), because I was ready to hold myself accountable but knew I didn't have it in me quite, and I needed to be held accountable.  I think when you come to a message board for support, you have to be ready to accept that support - you have to have just enough belief in yourself to trust that there was a reason you showed up in the first place, but after that, you have to let others help you out.  I needed the jabs that I got when I first arrived - asking me why I was setting a quit date so far in the future when I could quit sooner and get the hard stuff over with and not risk backing out of my commitment.  I credit whoever said that to me (which was NOT what I wanted to hear...) with saving my life.

I haven't been around in a long time, but I'm still quit.  Umm... 20 months at the end of August, I think?  I don't miss smoker-farmgirl one bit.

• Like 8

Those that quit before you @farmgirl knew full well that your junkie thinking would have talked you out of quitting long before your quit date arrived and yeah, as a still smoker, that's NOT what you wanted to hear but fortunately you listened and quit. Great job on 20 Months smoke free by the way! Ain't life great as a nonsmoker? 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, reciprocity said:

Those that quit before you @farmgirl knew full well that your junkie thinking would have talked you out of quitting long before your quit date arrived and yeah, as a still smoker, that's NOT what you wanted to hear but fortunately you listened and quit. Great job on 20 Months smoke free by the way! Ain't life great as a nonsmoker? 

EXACTLY!  And when I come back and browse and read through people's posts, I cringe at the words I read when people break their quit because they echo my junkie voice, and I want to shake them awake from it and say "that's not you!  that's the chemical speaking through you!" but I know I could barely tolerate hearing that when I first came here for help.  

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sometimes the anxiety created by over thinking quitting seems insurmountable.

This is just the addiction speaking and not a truth.

Quitting is doable, always.

It is a matter of choice.

Sure, you may have uncomfortable moments but, nothing you cannot handle, believe me.

I decided to give this 'quitting thing' a year and see how I felt.

I could always go back to smoking but, I thought, 'hey, what else am I doing with my time ?  Why not give it all I have ?'

It became a personal challenge

When I quit and started learning all I could about nicotine addiction, I quickly understood that I was quitting 'forever' and not just for a year.

It was a natural progression and one of thought and sanity, I was building a new free person.

Take the chance on yourself.  You needn't continue the slavery to nicotine.  You can earn and cherish your Freedom.

I know you can.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

Thanks for posting this!!!!As you all know I have relapsed twice since getting on the train. I have gotten good advice and great support. I am still hanging on but sometimes barely but I'm trying. Thank you all

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Linda said:

I sure hope so @jillar , anymore more relapes and I'm afraid I would give up. 

Well then it's even more important for you to keep this quit. You really can do it Linda, just trust yourself that you can 🤗

• Like 1

I agree Linda. You are just like all of us - deserving of a better life and the one thing that is totally within your control that can achieve that better life is to quit smoking and remain quit. Hang in with us, no matter what it takes. You won't regret it - In fact, you'll be thrilled at the result :) 

• Like 2

You can do it Linda ....quit while your ahead ....once you have a smoking related illness ,there is no going back 

Being addicted takes away all the fears of dying a smoker ..it's only when you quit ...you start to realize how much your body actually means to you ....and you fight to keep it healthy ....

• Like 1

• 4 months later...