What are you doing with your saved money

Diane R

Hi everyone! So I have decided to use my saved money to get a personal trainer a couple of times a week. At almost 55 and 2  herniated disc, type 1 diabetes I don’t know where to start with a safe workout Routine. Since I’m making the decision to get healthy by not smoking I need to also make a plan to get in shape. I know myself and I need to also be  held accountable. Otherwise I will just find a reason not to workout! So what is everyone esle doing with there new found money?

• Like 9

Sounds like you have a good plan.  I have saved my money and at present am having much needed oral surgery and partial dentures (could not afford the implants) made.  One more oral surgery session then getting everything else done -- my saved money basically covers 90% of it (and yes I still have all the savings in my account, it really helps)!!!

• Like 9

I bought several things I needed: new washer and dryer, new desktop computer w 24" monitor, new fitbit and replaced a 60 ft section of fence in yard! I also have someone come in 1x a month to do housecleaning!

• Like 7

Isn’t it nice to share all the things we are doing with our new found money. I  recently paid my car off so now I’m putting that car payment dollar amount in savings each month. Since I got use to not having it.

Edited by Diane R
  • Like 5

I don't know. I have just not had to budget everything around having enough money for smokes.  Fair wack will have gone on the chemist as one of my meds is not PBS listed. I have increased my donations each month. I buy the kid brand name close. Better cuts of meat at the butchers. Occupational therapy for the kids dyslexia (it's experimental so not covered) and her physio for her knee.

• Like 5

Initially, I used the money saved to build a home gym in the basement of my old house.  Quitting smoking freed up some money to build a home gym.  Building a home gym and working to get in better shape reaffirmed my commitment to stay quit.  

It was a perfect circle.

• Like 7

Boo that’s great way to use your found. Only. I live in Florida no basements here. But I feel the same way I want to start working out too. So personal trainer for now. And perhaps a home gym in the future! 

• Like 3

I need to save it in a mason jar again...it adds up so quickly.

My first stash paid for a garden nursery spending spree and broken ankle and leg.

The next stash paid for another broken leg.

Maybe, I shouldn't jinx myself...?

I  don't think our superstitious, @notsmokinjo,  would risk it and maybe she is right.

I'll just be more comfortable about treating myself every now and then.

• Like 3

Ah the quit money lol - I need to get my ticker going so it can do all the adding for me! I think in the beginning I will definitely hire a maid service - make things easy on myself and do all the chores I just cant stand!! And now that my BF is jumping on the bandwagon we plan to finish up all those 1/2 finished home improvement jobs we started and never finished lol. I'd really like to have my kitchen re-done and more open. My house is from the 50's so it's definitely time to upgrade!!

• Like 4

I never decided to put the money aside as such but the money I've saved from not smoking has mostly gone into two things: travelling (continuous) and having my teeth straightened (a few years ago). Both of those are massively big investments in myself that were/are certainly done more easily than if I blew an insane amount of money a year on smoking. 

• Like 4

I am kind of in the same boat as these two. I didn't/don't specifically set aside the cash I would have spent on smoking. Prior to Oct 2017, I was spending only $40 a month on it (RYO cigarettes) So it wasn't significant.

I guess no matter how one spends their previous "cigarette money", it makes buying "needs" more affordable and "wants" a little more guilt free. "I really don't need this but what the heck, at least it is not tobacco". I said that each time I upgraded my already gawdy stereo system.

Lead us not into temptation, for that we can easily find on our own.

On 8/3/2019 at 6:06 AM, notsmokinjo said:

I don't know. I have just not had to budget everything around having enough money for smokes.  Fair wack will have gone on the chemist as one of my meds is not PBS listed. I have increased my donations each month. I buy the kid brand name close. Better cuts of meat at the butchers. Occupational therapy for the kids dyslexia (it's experimental so not covered) and her physio for her knee.

Two things -

What is PBS? Here it is some TV station.

Also, you know that kids, especially teens, cannot survive without brand name... well anything really. When I was 10 (84/85), I wanted this torn up jean jacket they had at the store, it was only $80 and didn't understand why my mom wouldn't spend that much on a torn up jacket.

On 8/4/2019 at 7:12 PM, greenlight said:

I never decided to put the money aside as such but the money I've saved from not smoking has mostly gone into two things: travelling (continuous) and having my teeth straightened (a few years ago). Both of those are massively big investments in myself that were/are certainly done more easily than if I blew an insane amount of money a year on smoking. 

@JB 883 , welcome back.

PBS is the Pharmaceutical Benefit Scheme.... Australia has a social health system. The PBS caps the price of listed medications at a maximum $40ish and the government pays the rest. Many medications (chemo meds) are fully covered. Pensioners and concession card holders only pay $6.80 per script...then there are thresholds, if you spend a certain amount of money on meds in a year you go to the pensioner price and if you get to the next level it's free. Some medicines are not on the list, so you pay full price. Ventolin puffers cost $6.90 (pensioner/concession card holders get 2 for 1). One of my medications costs me $50 a fortnight.

My kid's biggest clothing expense are her shoes. She is just as happy in a Marvel T as she is in a Dangerfield dress so I'm kind of a bit lucky there..but bras, cost me a fricken fortune, I did offer to get some barbed wire to hod in her cows, she did not see the humour.

• Like 2

I would have to say food - well healthier food at least. And then on those mini impulse trips where you just really need to grab 1 or 2 things from a particular store and end up leaving spending close to $100.00.  I need to start leaving my wallet at home and just take a $20 on those days 🤣.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Lol Joking. I have never purchased a hooker.  Well, not directly but I have been married for a long time. As for the for cocaine. Long time ago.  But like cigarettes, I quit that too. 

As for the money saved from smoking,  simple lifestyle improvements.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Octain said:

Lol Joking. I have never purchased a hooker.  Well, not directly but I have been married for a long time. As for the for cocaine. Long time ago.  But like cigarettes, I quit that too. 

As for the money saved from smoking,  simple lifestyle improvements.

I know @Octain .... me too :) I did get taken to a strip joint as part of by bachelor party tho 😁 The only exposure to coke I have is when I managed a politician's campaign. Guess who was the coke-head (not me)?

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3