"If I Go Back To Smoking, I'll Just Quit Again"

Sazerac

Here is a vid from our friend, Joel, about the consequences of relapse.

We think we have all the time in the world but, we don't.

If you have quit, protect your quit with your life.

Quitting IS about Life and Death

Should have watched this before I blew my quit today afternoon. I had forgotten I had seen it before during the early days of my first quit. Should have just gone through Joel's channel again. Should not have gotten impulsive and gone for a cigarette. I'm going to have another go at my quit. I haven't had a smoke after today afternoon and I'm not going to either. Set a quit date for tomorrow.

• Sad 7

Oh, Ankush, I am so sorry you chose to smoke.

Why wait to quit ?  It will just make it harder the more brain receptors you loose to nicotine !

Just quit NOW.

We are on your side !

• Like 5

@Sazerac I chose a quit date for tomorrow because I already had that one cigarette today afternoon. While I have not had a cigarette after and will not have either, I have to set the quit date for tomorrow since I already had one today, just to make the quit date more accurate. I'm doing OK as far as withdrawal goes (I am not experiencing withdrawal so far). That cigarette didn't even give me the kind of kick it used to, just left a bad taste in my mouth, with only 2 minutes of relief, which I could've as well got if I had just tried to calm myself down (I was in a fit of rage at the time). So, the cigarette was pointless.

Edited by Ankush
  • Like 4

Ahw shit, no! I am really sorry to hear that. You had a great quit going and you are such a steady factor here.. 

Please muster up courage and cary on with your quit. Strong decision you made about that. The date is just a date, as much as I understand your need to make it accurate.  What matters most, obviously,  is that you dont light up again.

Please, please call out to us tonight/today, when you do experience withdrawl. Theres a great chance you will, since you administered nicotine to your system.   

Edited by MLMR
  • Like 7

21 minutes ago, Ankush said:

@Sazerac I chose a quit date for tomorrow because I already had that one cigarette today afternoon. While I have not had a cigarette after and will not have either, I have to set the quit date for tomorrow since I already had one today, just to make the quit date more accurate. I'm doing OK as far as withdrawal goes (I am not experiencing withdrawal so far). That cigarette didn't even give me the kind of kick it used to, just left a bad taste in my mouth, with only 2 minutes of relief, which I could've as well got if I had just tried to calm myself down (I was in a fit of rage at the time). So, the cigarette was pointless.

Now, I understand about 'quit date', Ankush, thank you for your explanation.

Glad you are back on the good foot.

NOPE your way through this, it is the only salvation.

• Like 3

@MLMR Thank you for encouraging me. I will carry on with my quit. I realized though, from my experience with my quit last time, that I had found the quitting process easy but staying quit was becoming increasingly difficult due to other factors. Moreover, I may have become a bit complacent without realizing it. So, I'm spending some time watching some of Joel's videos again, including the one on complacency. I just couldn't help myself, I flew in a fit of rage, became impulsive and ran out to buy the cigarette. Big mistake.

• Like 5

Sorry to hear you relapsed Ankush. You were doing really well and had gathered a lot of valuable information about smoking. You have now learned another important thing. It's not worth disrupting your quit with a cigarette for any reason. I hope you keep this lesson top of mind as you move forward with the start of your new quit. You will no doubt face a similar situation at some point in the future so you will need to rely on this experience at some point to avoid the same result. Welcome back fellow quitter :) 

• Like 7

Sorry you relapsed Ankush but even more I'm sorry you didn't come here and allow us to help you through the crave that caused you to smoke. You are such a supporter here so you know the importance of our community and fighting this addiction.

I would also suggest making a ticker for your signature. Looking at that everyday shows you just how much time, money and cigs not smoked you've accumulated and also shows you what you will lose should you relapse.

Glad you're back on your quit and fyi, your quit starts the moment you put out that last cigarette

• Like 6

@jillar I tried making a ticker, however, the ticker doesn't support Indian Rupees. I then tried converting Indian Rupees to Dollars or Euros, but I just got an error saying that the amount was too small or something like that. Don't remember what the exact error was.

31 minutes ago, Ankush said:

@reciprocity Well, I'm hoping I don't face any more situations like the one I faced this afternoon.

I hope you never face any more horrible situations, Ankush but, life throws us challenges all the time and we must never put our quit in peril.

I copied our friend, @Cristóbal's excellent post for you and for others dealing with life issues.

YOUR QUIT & YOUR LIFE - THE PROPER SEQUENCE  By Cristóbal,  

When our quits are young, we must learn and then practice in a conscious manner,

to disconnect and keep separate our quits from all life events.

We learn to always keep our quits sacred, protected,

and never influenced by any life event that may happen.

This dynamic we may call The Proper Sequence,

and it is powered by your commitment to Never.Take.Another.Puff. (NTAP).

It does not matter what may happen on any day in your life......as long as you maintain in a conscious manner

The Proper Sequence dynamic as a primary element of your quit, you will not smoke.

The Proper Sequence is:

YOU --> QUIT --> LIFE.

•NOT•:

YOU --> LIFE --> QUIT.

By maintaining this simple sequence dynamic in your quit, you will not ever have your quit influenced by life events.

If you always keep your quit close to you,  protecting it with your commitment to Never.Take.Another.Puff (NTAP), you will never, *EVER*, smoke again.

We build our quits, and train our minds, our emotions,

and our spirits to live as non-smokers in beautiful freedom

by continuing to commit to NTAP. as our way of not smoking,

and our way of slowly putting this awful addiction to sleep.

Consciously adding The Proper Sequence dynamic to your new non-smoker identity will strengthen your quit even more.

Cristóbal

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 7

@Sazerac You are correct that life from time to time throws challenges at us, but it's the petty challenges that I face that get to me.Thank you for that post. We must indeed keep our quits and our lives separate. Its difficult to do so though, since our lives were so mixed up with smoking when we were smokers.

Edited by Ankush
  • Like 4

How much do you pay for a pack of 20 cigarettes in Indian Rupees?  Divide that amount by 68.9 (or 69) and that will give you the conversion to USD.  According to Google the average price of a 20 cigarette pack in India is the equivalent of roughly 4 USD.  How many did you smoke per day on average?   If you smoked less that 5 a day the cost would be less than $1, so that could be why you are getting the error message.  

• Like 5

This is sadness indeed ...I was rooting for you Ankush....and willing you on ....

Life will always throw us curve balls....all you can do is learn by this ....

Please post a SOS ,should you get angry enough to smoke ,with your next Fabulous quit...

Glad your jumping right back on !!!!!

• Like 5

@Ankush, sorry to hear.  But also glad that you're back at it.  A lot of folks require more than 1 attempt.

Do use the SOS in future - folks will jump in to support you.  You really need to get past the minute or 2 of intense craving and that's where the support helps you. 

Don't let cigs be the boss of you.

• Like 6

I'm really sorry to hear this, Ankush.  I'm glad you are quitting again, though.

Complacency can be rough but you must commit to never taking another puff.

Reach out if temptation like this arises again by posting an SOS.  We all want to see you succeed.

• Like 4

@Jordan7 Yes, that's why I get the error. The cost of cigarettes also depends on the brand. I was using the brand with the lowest cost. In addition to this, the quantity I used to smoke sometimes varied on a day to day and month to month basis. At the time of my first quit, it was around 3-4 cigarettes a day which cost me around 16 rupees a day.

@Doreensfree Thank you. I am indeed back to being quit. Took the NOPE pledge as soon as I logged on to QuitTrain

@d2e8b8 Yes, I won't let cigs be the boss of me. I will be the boss of them and since they are nothing but unhealthy ruin, they are fired.

@johnny5 Yes, I shouldn't have become complacent, I'm back on track with my quit.

• Like 5

Well first ...Well done ....you are strong ..you just got back up.....that takes guts and strength my friend ...

I had a punching pillow when I first quit ...I put a face in it with a permanent marker...not saying who,s face it was ...

When I got angry over something ...I used to punch that pillow ,so hard ,it would go flying across the room.

Shouting NOPE...

It sure helped at the time ....just sayin !!!!!

• Like 3