First craving in about 16 hours

I'm not *about* to smoke. I don't have any and no means or transportation to get any (I am staying with my sister after moving to Cali from Seattle, had to leave my car in WA and there are no busses that come here). But it was suggested I post here when I have a craving and I'm having a monster one. First one since yesterday evening. Just putting it out there. NOPE for me. NOPE NOPE NOPE

• Like 5

Great job coming here -- it can really help.  As Jillar says deep breathing, short walks, the air cig, and also try hard candies or drinking cold water (or juice for blood sugar).  You are keeping strong!!!!

• Like 3

we can live through 'uncomfortable'.

Craves don't last long and the sooner you replace a smokey thought with a thought of beauty

the easier all this will be.

I like that saying too, I don't know who coined it.

A Crave Is Not A Command

but, it resonated with me

and helped me acknowledge my own power. 

You are stronger than any crave.

• Like 2

Good idea @Sazerac  IDK what to reward myself with though.  My favorite reward is something sweet but I'm on a no sugar diet because losing weight is an emergency for me due to my knee injury and impending surgery. What suggestions do you guys have for a reward? I can't just go take a walk, and I don't want to get in the shower multiple times a day. Any suggestions appreciated

• Like 1

I think deep breaths of oxygen are the best reward and always available.

Cool glasses of water.

I also turned my smokey thoughts around and found something beautiful to look at.

It could be a leaf, a cloud, a color, I studied the beauty.

or a listen to a piece of music,  Sit down and listen intently, yay headphones.

Read a passage in a favorite book, a favorite poem.

I ate a lot of satsumas as a treat.  Take a luxurious nap in clean sheets.

A pampering bath or a long, long shower. Give yourself a manicure/pedicure.

All these things are mostly free and sugar free too.

Other rewards came after one week/ one month etc.

I bought a tree, can't remember when....6 months.

Had a stash of ducats saved up.

I put the cost of a pack in a big mason jar every day.

That was inspiring and paid for little and big rewards.

• Like 2

Michelle, count with me, back from 10 to 0.... here we go:

10.... 9.... 8.... 7..... 6..... 5..... 4.... 3... 2.... 1..... 0!

7b4bio5hobgu85mFpLjsB5bdcQRiiGHJEPFYM5SsnKqnzq4oNtYxGYX5aPmCEAsvdE3To9y4ZeCRWizerdZG3JC8fRcphJ5a3gwEDnu4t7RTn1oLwNuXcYgNPwatN7SoAbr2DE2twFTPNkFBJHH97Dezt7XU.png

-edit- I actually checked if I wrote the numbers in the right order 🤣

Edited by MLMR
  • Like 3

Michelle

I find it worrisome that you keep saying you can't smoke because you don't have the money or transportation to get cigarettes.  Sometime soon you will have the opportunity to get some.  That's when it's going to come down to your commitment not to smoke.  Please work on strengthening your resolution.  That, not money or a ride to the store, is what will prevent you from lighting up.

You can do this.  It just comes down to getting your mind in the right place.

Edited by BKP
  • Like 6

Well done, Michelle.  Every time you overcome a craving, you're getting stronger and it's getting weaker.  You just need to kill those triggers one by one.

Your quit date and ticker seem to be different - which one is correct?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BKP said:

Michelle

I find it worrisome that you keep saying you can't smoke because you don't have the money or transportation to get cigarettes.  Sometime soon you will have the opportunity to get some.  That's when it's going to come down to your commitment not to smoke.  Please work on strengthening your resolution.  That, not money or a ride to the store, is what will prevent you from lighting up.

You can do this.  It just comes down to getting your mind in the right place.

I was thinking the same thing.  You are fighting a good fight but I am concerned about this.

Read up on the benefits of quitting and try to focus on the positives that will be coming your way.  Use this to strengthen your commitment to stay smoke free.

You are doing great.  These first few days are the roughest but be prepared for when you might have the money or transportation for smokes.  You cannot let anything ruin your quit.  You are fighting too hard to lose this battle.

• Like 4

Well, a lot of good responses here, but my first thought was that if this (sometime around midday on the 2nd day of your quit??) was your first crave since yesterday evening it's time to throw a  really big party!  My craves early on were separated by seconds, not hours or days, so I think you are doing much better than you are giving yourself credit for.  Also, knowing that I couldn't get cigarettes even if I wanted to would have made it impossible for me -- I had to always see it as my choice, to have any chance of succeeding.  You're doing this like a champ, Michelle, so let's keep it going.   

• Like 2