Is it just me or.....

in the 70s, cigarette smoke didn't smell of chemicals? I grew up in a house with three adults smokers and while the smoke was unpleasant and irritating to my nose and lungs as a child, I don't remember the chemical smell they have today. Someone can light one two blocks away and you can smell it.

• Like 1

You are becoming more aware of the smell that cigarettes produce when you get away from them even a short while.  I think I was just completely accustomed to the smell that smoking created (I also grew up in a household of smokers)!!! 

• Like 3

Very well could be, I know that possibly there had been something about that in the news many years ago though I never saw something final on that.  I have really never noticed anything different about the odor of cigarettes other than I cannot stand the smell of them now !!!!!

• Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 4:47 PM, Martian5 said:

You are becoming more aware of the smell that cigarettes produce when you get away from them even a short while.  I think I was just completely accustomed to the smell that smoking created (I also grew up in a household of smokers)!!! 

That is definitely my experience.  Not only did both my parents smoke , most of my closer relatives smoked, at least one parent of most of my friends smoked, and heck, even my doctors office allowed smoking back in the 60s and 70s.  Add to that the fact that smoking was allowed anywhere except for fire hazard areas, I never knew what a smoke free place smelled like.

• Like 6

Oh they started putting  additives in cigarettes to make them more addicting in the 60s or 70s. I watched a video on that some time ago. Might have been hbo  documentary. I can’t remember. My father smoked so I never noticed the smell til I was much older. But even when I smoked I could smell it if I entered a place that  allowed smoking. Now I can really smell it. 

• Like 3

I think you're just more sensitive to it now that you're a non-smoker. I rarely used to notice cigarette smoke back when I smoked. Now I smell it everywhere. I can smell it when on my motorcycle on the freeway.

It's pretty gross.

• Like 2

I can remember smoking on airplanes!  They had a "smoking section" and a "nonsmoking section".

As if cigarette smoke knew not to travel beyond row 20 😆

I'm actually amazed at how keenly I can smell stale smoke on a person who has just had one. That really stinks to me. The actual smell of someone smoking a cigarette, I don't mind as long as they aren't blowing it in my face.

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 2

On 7/21/2019 at 9:59 PM, MichelleDoesntSmokeAnymore said:

Thanks for the reply but no, thats not it...I noticed this several years ago. I started reading up on it after I posted this...sounds like the tobacco industry started adding things to them to make them more addictive, starting in the 90s.

This is true..they added more chemicals to keep folk hooked ,when more people started Quitting...

This is why quitted is harder..There is so much more chemicals now ,then when our parents  smoked ..

• Like 1