Craving Again

Thanks. I'm making it a habit to post when I have a craving instead of having the intention of posting when I'm GOING to smoke. Gotta do something different. Its easing up. The more I read and post on the board the easier it gets. Once I get past about day three or four it should get easier. I'm still wearinng the patch but by then the psychological part should ease up a little. During my last significant quit I had absolutely no desire. I could be around people smoking, even had one offered to me by people who didn't know I'd quit and it was easy to not smoke. So I know it will get better...its just hard going through the initial phase. I have to remember the freedom I got from smoking, the longer I was quit. Just like drugs and alcohol....they say the further you get from your last use, the easier it becomes to say no.

• Like 5

Romanticizing the cigarette is a tough thing to let go of.  Just know, as your signature says...

If you have just one you will be right back where you started, and where you started was desperately wishing you were where you are right now.
PS For me, there is no such thing as "Just One".

This is so true.  It will not be just one cigarette.  It will lead to more

...and...

You may think that cigarette will calm you down but it will not.  It will just feed your nicotine craving and will restart the process of smoking to relive the crave.  You will also feel bad for losing your quit.

It is a vicious cycle and it is best to break it once and for all.

It might not feel like it but you are doing great, Michelle.  Keep fighting.  You can do this.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, MichelleDoesntSmokeAnymore said:

Thanks. I'm making it a habit to post when I have a craving instead of having the intention of posting when I'm GOING to smoke. Gotta do something different. Its easing up. 

Hey Michelle, why not start a blog then? :)

Might be just what you need!

• Like 5

Romancing the cigarette was the hardest part for me - it seemed to  go hand in hand with that junkie mentality.  But as you said over time is does get better. Journaling helped me a lot too. I keep re-reading the parts about how good it felt to be able not to give into the crave or when I could walk past the smokers section and work and think wow - so glad that's not me anymore. I truly cant wait to get back to the point. 

Today was a hard one for me as well. I slept some, cleaned some and craved some and the night isn't even over yet. All we can do is keep on keeping on, knowing that by giving in we'll be right back where we started and going through all the motions again - not a fun a place to be. Our quits aren't too far apart - so together we can do this!!!

• Like 5

Romancing the cigarette especially in the early part of the quit presents one of the hardest hurdles to get over and likes to pop up every so often later in the process.  You can get over this and in fact you are doing the right thing -- recognizing the problem, admitting that it is difficult, then coming here to post about it.  Strong stuff and showing that you are trying to commit yourself to this quit -- good job.  You can do this!!!

• Like 4