back again

So 1:30 Am finds me again and I'm an emotional wreck. I'm so tired and I cant stop crying. What woke me up was my leg cramping, toes curling up on one leg. Any other time it would be nothing really new.  I used to get Charlie horses all the time or restless legs, but given this was the 1st night after treatment everything for me is on high alert and I panicked. I kept trying to stretch it out and was almost a bit scared to get up and stand on it and stretch like I normally would. But I did and now it's fine so I'm thinking just all the stress and lack of sleep, not smoking, no caffine the body and brain just readjusting to all of that but something I will definitely bring up tomorrow since this was the 1st night after treatment. I'm well hydrated - I drink so much water now I think I'm a fish. 

So Yesterday was my 1st day of treatment, late afternoon 1:30pm and again on very little sleep. It was just too much time between being awake and thinking about the appt. - way too much time alone with my own thoughts as the anxiety built up from 4AM onwards. It was my own mental torture.  No this time slot is NOT a good fit and I will drive myself insane. I've already talked to them about moving them up to the early AM's so I can get in, get out and go about the rest of my day uninterrupted. That is what I need! None of this lets stop your whole day, then come in, then try to decompress from that and continue on. NO that does not work for me. So tomorrow (today - ugh) they moved it up to 12:45pm and said that by Friday they would have me the earliest appt. available  which is around 8am - that was a huge sigh of relief. In early and then free for the rest of the day to do what I want aside of dwelling on it. They did apologize saying that the 1st treatment is a bit longer just so they can make sure everything is lined up correctly and that tomorrow I would be in and out very quickly. Again, another small sigh of relief. 

But I just lost it 1/2 way in as I laid on my back literally locked in my by face/head mask and only this foam ring for comfort. I tried breathing deep and counting and kept telling myself everything was okay, no pain and it will be over quickly yet it seemed like forever and there was nothing I could do but let the tears and fears just roll from the sides of my eyes as I couldn't really move. I just felt so helpless for the 1st time. I'm sure it was a normal reaction for anyone but I had a hard time coming out of that 'bad' head space. That place you don't want to stay in too long. My mom and sister we in the lobby waiting and I had to stop and sit and gather myself before I could even really speak and found myself again in a flood of tears just frozen in the moment.  They were terrified and I could see the look on their faces but no words could come out to tell them I was ok and I just needed a moment. Another thing that was hard for me was the impression this mask leaves on my face. It's like a tennis racket being pressed on your face leaving the diamond mark indentations so I have this Game of Thrones lizard pattern thing going on that sorta hangs around for a few hours. In October that might be cool but not a pretty daytime look and quite a few stares as if people were saying 'I think I just saw a reptilian alien and THEY DO EXIST!' LMAO. (at least I still have my sense of humor thank goodness). So once I was able to 'compose' myself and just explain - I'm ok,  it was just tough I could see them breathe a sigh of relief. I think they thought I might be ready just to come home - but this was the last place I wanted to be, in these 4 walls. 

So lizard face and all I said lets just go do something normal, walk around somewhere just something. So we headed to the local outdoor market so I could get some sun, some socialization and try some new foods. Which I'm finding things I would have never even put near my face tasted so delicious. Portabella mushrooms WHO KNEW. I thought I was eating steak! Yes 3 of those please! So that was a nice but short lived 'balancing out' for me. But then it quickly turned close to 4 or 5 and just went to fast. There wasn't enough time for me to decompress from leaving my mom and sis, walking in the door and letting the dogs outside knowing J would be home any minute. And again for those brief moments I just sobbed thru that small routine. I didn't like it but couldn't shake it so I just let it happen.

He got home and asked how everything went and I told him simply I just did not want to talk about it - tell me how YOUR day was. I guess that threw him off but I just didn't want to relive it again - repeat it again - explain it again because I knew I would once again breakdown. Especially with him and after the night before. So I quickly changed the subject to food - always a good distraction and these HUGE mushrooms as he turned his nose up in disgust like I used to lol. But hey they wont go to waste that's for sure! I also picked up a mango and 2 avacado's to learn to make my own quick dressings/mixes with yogurt that aren't straight up mayo for my tuna or my salads or to make a marinade over pork or chicken. I'm still making sure I'm eating regular fattening food as I will need to put on the weight but it's really cool trying new things and adding them to what I already eat and making it even better. Plus at least this way when it's time to really go for the balanced, healthy nutritional new lifestyle diet I will already know what it is I like and the switch wont be so dramatic and costly. And again a nice 'distraction' from everything else. 

But the of course he really wanted to know how things went. And I was honest and broke down again. He really had/has no clue as to how scary and overwhelming this can be at times. And I get that....and he apologized for night before saying he would try to be more 'sensitive' to my emotions....but I told him when I say ENOUGH that means ENOUGH and it's for a reason. And when he see's me start to get frustrated that is his que to back the F up and he agreed and we dropped the subject then and there. 

Whew - see just me getting this all out has made me feel so much better. I don't know if I'll be able to get some sleep in now that it's almost 4am - but I hope so. I know what to expect for tomorrow, it will be just me and my sister because sometimes too many people tend to rock the boat. She is my calming sounding board and is spending the whole day and night with me tomorrow and I'm so looking forward to it. As of now I'm going to retreat into the den, into my recliner and hope to get some sleep before noon or even just peaceful rest. I think that would make all the difference and give me the strength I need to face tomorrow. All baby steps - and the new journey begins! Out with the trash, keep the lessons and carry them into the next day!

Hellkatbaby, when I did my radiation, I had a very hard time relaxing.  They suggested I bring music to listen too.  I have a very small ipod that hooks to my belt and has earphones that I use when I walk.  You might ask them if you could use something like that under the mask.  

Sweetie, it is normal to fear the unknown.  I promise this will get easier each day.  My radiation only took 15 minutes (5 min. of that was changing out of my top).  Of course I had to bare my breast, so I found myself joking with the technicians.  

Radiation does make you tired, so you will find you won't have a hard time sleeping.  

Try to read, memorize a poem, anything that distracts you.

Keep a log of the symptoms and different things you are experiencing.  I found I would forget to mention things when I was there.  If I wrote them down, it helped.  

Is there a support group  you can attend.  They had them for breast cancer.  Sometimes it helps to talk with others that are experiencing the same.  There was also a nurse advocate that I could contact.  

Keep posting here.  We will listen and try to ease your mind. 

Know that I am continually praying for you. 

Linda 

• Like 6

I hope your treatment goes easier today Hellkatbaby. Your whole world has turned upside down but you are finding ways to adjust while still quitting smoking. That for sure deserves a gold star! Well done. Be good to yourself and celebrate those good moments :) 

• Like 3

I really hate this for you...but, first day down, never to have to be gone through again and everything will become a little less strange as you put each treatment day behind you. It's probably a good thing that tears are coming easily right now, giving you the chance to get some of your feelings out rather than hiding from them and holding them in.  Sometimes spending time alone and allowing yourself a good cry can help you recharge and get back on track with new determination. None of this is fun and none of this is okay right now, but it all will be okay in the end so keep trying to look forward.  Sounds as if BF is figuring out his way through this also and maybe getting a little bit better at this support stuff? 

You're doing beautifully, hellkat, and continuing to get out in the fresh air and explore new foods or anything else that catches your interest and just making sure to keep some "normal" in your day, might be the best medicine you can give yourself right now.  Sending two hugs for day two and hoping today brings some positives along the way.  

• Like 6

Banana smoothies (low fat, a bit if honey) can help with the cramps and act as a meal too. Tonic water (minus the gin) at a glass a day can help with the cramps too. It's my go to. 

You will get suck of being asked "how are you"....I started answering in phrases and accents with a basic Okand a change of topic and they stopped asking ...in hindsight it was nice that people asked but you do get over it and want different convos. So my answers we "or-ight" with broadest Aussie accept, "Choice bro" channelling the kiwi cousins, "very good thankyou" (Indian, as in from India)...you get the idea. 

It's ok to cry, it's ok to think why me, I'm a good person....that is healthy, that is normal. Actually crying is good for the soul. You don't have to be the strong, together one it's ok to feel all the other stuff too. So my go too trick was to recite the lyrics of good king Wenceslas and visualise the story....make like a little movie for it in my head...and then I'd just go through the other Chrissy carols doing the same thing. You need to occupy your mind so you dont focus on the horror and confussion. 

Hope the treatments ease up.

• Like 5

Thank you all for the tips and just making me feel that all this is ok and normal feelings to have. Today was day 3 of treatment and my appt's are now at 8:45am!! I think this is a really good fit. I'm in and out w/in 20 min tops and can go about the rest of my day as I please. That really puts me in the right head space I need to be in. They did finally give me a play list and I just asked for upbeat and happy - so they chose the song Happy which fit perfect as all I did was think positive happy thoughts as I sung along in my head. There was no traffic to deal with so when I got home I was able to dig into a nice breakfast and just take my time and enjoy it. 

Sleep is still an issue, but I have a feeling after today things are going to be A-OK in that dept. It's now the weekend and that 1st roller coaster week is out of the way and I'm getting more comfortable with new normal - my body and brain are coming off smoking/caffine and it's just balancing itself out in it's own natural way. All I have to do is remember to breathe deep and let it pass. Another little trick I've come to learn is to turn my darn phone off. If it's important a message will be left and I can listen to it later! 

Last night there was implosion between 2 of my family team members - so much so that they have been cut off for now.  I'm not going to go into the messy details but will only say that it sucks but I had no tears left and was in a place of total numbness. But a numbness that made me find my strongest point. I refuse to be sucked into the drama, the BS the petty stuff that you are spilling over into my home and I refuse to allow it, tolerate it or even entertain it to creep under my doorway. I'm in a good head space for once and that is where I plan to stay for a long, long time. They can either get on board or bicker amongst themselves - that is not MY battle royal. I'm not mad, I'm not sad but I am done with that part of it. Nothing but good vibes and sunshine for me!!

I hope everyone has a great weekend because I darn sure plan to!!! AND NOPE TO EVERYTHING ELSE THAT BRINGS YOU DOWN IN LIFE! JUST BE HAPPY!!

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, hellkatbaby said:

the drama, the BS the petty stuff

^^ Yup, all this can be really detrimental to a person's mental and physical well being. You're doing well. The quit and your treatment, as you have done, keep them as your priorities - just a suggestion. You have a good weekend as well.

• Like 3

Just do you. There will always be someone that tries drag you into their  drama. I don’t know why people can’t just stay in their lane. So sorry they are making it about there drama. But you have a great  attitude. You are doing a bang up job.

Edited by Diane R
  • Like 4

Wow! Isn't it amazing how some have NO concept of what's important at the moment and continue to spend their time on their own life drama?

Good for you in taking the high road - the positive road! That's medicine for your mind Hellkat!!

tenor.gif

I'll join you in that positivity if you don't mind :) We all need more of that in our lives.

Have a Great weekend Hellkat and indulge yourself at every opportunity!

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 4

Good morning everyone! Well - some sleep did find me between a nice power nap yesterday and maybe a good 5-6 hours tonight. Hopefully I will be able to power back down after a few. Right now I'll take what I can get. I tried to set my ticker and while the quit date is here the little ticker wont seem to stick that gives me the hours/smokes or $ saved. Any tips on that would be appreciated!  Right now I just need to ramble - get the junk out of my head so to speak. 

Just been doing all sorts of research since yesterday was pretty much my 1st day alone after treatment which I find I didn't quite mind so much. Listing questions for my Dr's and going over some of the things I've been 'avoiding' reading out of just sheer fear. I don't like to google a lot about it because - well that's just a whole nother scary rabbit hole. I'll let the medical team worry about their job, things that I cant control and focus on the things that I can control. Body, mind and soul. While I have tons of energy I would like to start some sort of routine exercise program for myself, help build up my strength. Even tho I feel as I've been going and going since I got out I need a nice routine program to help maintain and keep going and getting better. I think that would also help release a lot of my anxiety and help me sleep more better at night. 

Walking of course is always best - but in this Fl. heat it's just NOT an option at the moment. And it seems if I try to walk somewhere in doors I end up spending money I need to be saving lol.

But I could start with just the basics. Some small leg lunges with the aid of a chair. Wall presses, neck head and shoulder rolls. Maybe start with a 1lb hand weight. Just things I'd like to run by the medical team Monday at my next appt. so I know exactly what I can and can not or should not be doing during treatment. And though I have been diving into the whole diet research part, things that will help my condition vs harm I might as well take advantage of the nutritionists on site that cost me nothing. Go over the food list I have, how I'm slowly incorporating it and not just making a drastic jump as that could do more harm then good. Get some professional feedback and assistance with that. 

I did my 1st mini food prep last night with kidney beans. Aside of opening a can of them never even tried it before lol. That was quite interesting but a source of good healthy protein that's not red meat or just crap going in. So I did the presoak last night and will get to the cook maybe today or tomorrow. I can eat them as a side, toss them in some chicken or fish wraps or throw in a salad with my berries and nuts.  I've learned how to cut and store fresh pineapple - some in the fridge rest in the freezer. How to make my own 100 juice pops - definately need to get me a mixer or blender so I can also puree all these good foods into a smoothie, a marinade or my own salad dressing as well. Picked up some kiwi, mangos and avacados part of the 'clean 15' as they call it. Asparagus which I find isn't as bad as I thought if cooked nice and crisp vs boiled limp like my mom used to try and force us to eat (bleh!)! 

The list of foods just goes on and on - and I used to hate cooking. I'd go out of my way to make my own homemade soaps and body butters, bathbombs and candles and loved it and miss it!! Of course now I cant mess with any of that stuff so cooking is the new soap making/crafting hobby! I have so many new recipes jotted down it's not even funny lol. But that's a good thing! This is all for my benefit so I need to educate myself as much as possible!

I've also stopped buying the individual cases of bottled water - I found that I would have all these bottles 1/2 drunk bottles laying around and not knowing how old they were or who's they were and realizing the waste of the plastic and water combined. So went to the jugs and just pour what I need - simple and eco friendly! Just being so conscience about other things as well has helped if that makes sense. 

The A/C people called and will be out here next week with the new unit - YAY!! So BF is going to seal the windows inside and out just to help a bit more and then cool seal the flat parts of the roof to reflect the heat. There are still somethings we need to go thru and clean out and throw away. But Rome was not built in a day so each day we do a little more at a time. Clean house, clean mind really do go hand in hand. I almost know where everything in my house is again right at the finger tips! 

I do need to find some good memory/mind games/puzzles etc as my treatment might or will take effect on my short term memory. Again the whole honing in on what I know and just doing it better. The length of the side effects can last months or even years and again that depends on the patient and how much involvement they put into what they can and should control. And I want to be top of my game. I've read where too many patients just don't do anything. They still smoke, eat like crap, sit around all day and wonder why they aren't getting better when the power is all theirs. That will not be me!! Yes I will have my bad days - but I don't plan on staying there!! 

Today my son is coming over and we are having another lunch date and just hang out for a bit - the real highlight of my week! I don't care how old he gets he will always, always be my 'little boy'. I'm sure you parents can relate. And now the calm comes again. Time to make some oatmeal, chill in the lounger and snag a few hours of rest or possible sleep. Ahhh hopefully some sleep. 

• Like 3

@hellkatbaby, I am so in awe of your strength right now.  Your positive energy will keep powering you through this difficult time.  You are going to come out the other side a champion!

I wish I could have made some of your kind of improvements in my life, while I was younger.  We all pay for them in our elderly years.

I could go on about my son and grandchildren forever.  How many children do you have?  Do you have any grand children yet?

Where about in Florida are you.  My husband is retiring in January (I am already retired) and we plan on spending some winter time, in Florida.  I would love to meet this strong lady I have met here.  We could celebrate the end of your treatments.

You can play free games on the computer at Pogo.com.  I love scrabble. I used to play with my mother in law.  I play the robot on the computer and feel as if I am playing her in heaven.

Scrabble and crossword puzzles are my passion.  I still love getting my newspaper so I can do my daily crossword puzzle.

So glad you have been able to find some sleep. 

I find comfort in reading your posts.  Comfort in knowing you have such a positive attitude towards this battle.  Know that we are all here to listen and help you through.  

I know that after you fill in the ticker information that you have to save it.

There are others that can explain the ticker better, I know they will jump in.

Know you are in my daily prayers.

Linda 

• Like 4

I echo Linda in being in awe of your positive attitude through all this. It's truly what's going to see you through to the finish line :) I play games at royalgames.com and there's a ton of games to choose from. And of course we have our own fun game section n our social forums you might like :)

• Like 4

@hellkatbaby

To get your ticker going ..... enter the info. on the ticker page as you have done. When the screen with a selection of ticker styles comes up, right click on the image you want and select save image. Then go to your profile and open it. Select Account Settings in the menu below. On the right a new window opens. Left click Signature. Your signature window will open then you go down to the body of your signature window and right click there. Select Paste from the menu choices. Your selected signature will appear. Click save at the bottom and ..... you're done :)  

Edited by reciprocity
  • Like 5

Sending thirds on being in awe of your strength, positive energy, and 'let's just do this' attitude.  I'll add that you are inspiring me to borrow a bit of your spirit and determination and put more effort (and joy) into healthful cooking and eating, exercising and just generally getting back in the game, all of which I have been slacking off on for too long.  So thank you for sharing your amazing self with us.  Regarding walking for exercise, one (admittedly boring) option is to time a 30 minute fast walk throughout your house once the air-conditioning is up and running.  I do this when it's too cold, icy, or hot outside, and mix in a few intermittent laps around the yard, trips up and down the basement stairs, and short laps in the vicinity of the TV for a little distraction.  Decidedly not very exciting, but doable in any weather.  

• Like 3

12 hours ago, hellkatbaby said:

While I have tons of energy I would like to start some sort of routine exercise program for myself, help build up my strength. Even tho I feel as I've been going and going since I got out I need a nice routine program to help maintain and keep going and getting better. I think that would also help release a lot of my anxiety and help me sleep more better at night. 

In my opinion exercise is the best tool to deal with anxiety.

There have been numerous studies and a lot of research done on the link between exercise and anxiety.  I won't get into all those.  I will just focus on my own personal experience.  Not only does exercise leave me feeling calm and anxiety free, I also benefit from increased mental clarity following a good workout.  I've experienced this time-and-again over the last three years: something is weighing on my mind, I obsess on trying to find a solution, then after a good workout...the answers just seem to come naturally.

My opinion is that the body doesn't quite know what to do with feelings of mental anxiety.  We've been hardwired to translate certain feelings into an immediate threat.  The mind is just trying to sort itself out while the body is going into fight-or-flight mode.  Exercise gives the body an outlet to release feelings of stress while the mind focuses on the task at hand.  When the mind-body connection is in harmony, life just seems to make more sense.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Linda Thomas said:

@hellkatbaby, I am so in awe of your strength right now.  Your positive energy will keep powering you through this difficult time.  You are going to come out the other side a champion!

I wish I could have made some of your kind of improvements in my life, while I was younger.  We all pay for them in our elderly years.

I could go on about my son and grandchildren forever.  How many children do you have?  Do you have any grand children yet?

Where about in Florida are you.  My husband is retiring in January (I am already retired) and we plan on spending some winter time, in Florida.  I would love to meet this strong lady I have met here.  We could celebrate the end of your treatments.

Know you are in my daily prayers.

Linda 

Thank you Linda! I try to keep things as positive as possible because during all my research I've learned that is the most powerful medicine - taking care of the body mind and spirit and let the Dr's do their job. Not to worry about the things that are out of my control but within my reach! I actually turned 50 this year and also wish I would have made these improvements YEARS and YEARS ago but life never hands you more than you can take. So I'll take it in stride. I'm actually in North Florida some years we spend Christmas on the beach and other years the winters are bone deep cold! But that's Fl. Raining one minute and the sun shining the next. I have only 1 son who's 26 and he's too gung ho to even think about settling down lol. A few have tried but he's one ambitious young man. Thank you for your prayers and I would love to celebrate the end of my treatments because that is my master plan!! 

2 hours ago, Boo said:

There have been numerous studies and a lot of research done on the link between exercise and anxiety.  I won't get into all those.  I will just focus on my own personal experience.  Not only does exercise leave me feeling calm and anxiety free, I also benefit from increased mental clarity following a good workout.  I've experienced this time-and-again over the last three years: something is weighing on my mind, I obsess on trying to find a solution, then after a good workout...the answers just seem to come naturally.

My opinion is that the body doesn't quite know what to do with feelings of mental anxiety.  We've been hardwired to translate certain feelings into an immediate threat.  The mind is just trying to sort itself out while the body is going into fight-or-flight mode.  Exercise gives the body an outlet to release feelings of stress while the mind focuses on the task at hand.  When the mind-body connection is in harmony, life just seems to make more sense.

Boo - I could not agree with you 100% more. Exercise and the anxiety link do go hand and hand. As you said the mind-body harmony makes a lot of sense.

Right now I feel I've just been going and going in more of a 'nesting mode' - cleaning, getting things in order etc. feeling accomplished and feeling good but also being totally out of my routine and my emotions naturally bouncing all over the past few weeks I feel it's time to just settle into a nice healthy routine that just incorporates it all - as you said find that good harmony!  I did download an exercise program from the Brio-blog for cancer survivor wellness that helps beat the fatigue and anxiety during treatment and it includes nice mindful deep breathing to help reduce the anxiety and exercises to help build and keep the muscles active when I'll need them most.  Between that and a good healthy diet and a lifestyle change it can do nothing but benefit me and that's the key! 

I did get some extra rest today but did not sleep and that's ok. I'm saving that for tonight. But just relaxing and working some puzzles I picked up today really helped with the recharge I needed and by the time dinner rolled around I was ready to go and felt good! Saved some yogurt for dessert and topped it all off with a glass of 100% OJ!! I also found some ice pop molds and picked up a mini chopper to make my own natural juice pops, banana smoothies or marinades and salsas! This food thing is getting fun! 

Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and the tips on the game sites! I'll definitely put those to use. And I got my ticker!! Now it's time for a nice long warm bath to relax and then off to bed - hopefully I'll make it past 2:30 this time lol. 

• Like 4

Just another short 'ramble' as I like to call it. Almost made it til 5AM!! YES!! Woke up, had some oatmeal with fresh blue and blackberries added in - mmmm. Nice stick to the ribs food. Even made a cup of decaf just to feel that warm comfy.  I did wake up with another leg cramp even though I've been eating bananas to try and help. I'm thinking it's just from 'sleeping' and not restless sleeping. As soon as I stretch it and stand it seems to go away quickly without further bother during the day but something I'll mention on my Monday appt. 

Yesterdays plans didn't fall through with my son and it was more of a clashing of schedules really so today is all ours. We'll head out for an early lunch and then see where the day take us from there. I just wish this heat would go away so we could check out some of these weekend farmers markers, but it really does suck the life out of you just stepping outside. 94* before 10AM and feeling like 105* come noon!! Crazy!! Then throw in some hormones and a hot flash 🌞🥴 not a good combo so we'll stick to the A/C places for now. 

I'd like to talk about my Rottie - Tank aka Doodle Bug! He's so in tune and so sensitive. He waits outside the bathroom for me, always by my side looking up with those big brown eyes. When I rest he rests, when I'm running about the house doing chores he'll settle in one spot and just watch me. Comes up at bed time and presses his face against mine. It really warms my heart and it's as if he knows what I'm up against. But I worry about his well being because animals do get depressed and board and I don't want that to happen with him - so I've been looking for some nice mental games for him and I to play vs the old tug of war and again the heat outside just to run and chase a ball takes it toll on both of us. While he's totally trained there's nothing wrong with starting back at a good heeling pivot and turn up and down the hallway with a few treats and the clicker. Oh how he loved that clicker as a pup - he knew what was coming and loved to learn! I used to put his food in a 2 liter bottle and make him 'work' for his breakfast as I used to get ready in the AM's - he quickly became a pro of learning how to empty that sucker - but again it was all the mental stimulation and him having to think the problem out that was good for him. Sadly dog parks are a no go for him. Not that he's aggressive at all but it's the other people that aren't so educated and would rather judge the breed than the deed sadly. I swear these ladies around here would see us walking and be a block away and they are already stringing their poor toy pups up by their own collars and running the other way LMAO! I think sometimes I prefer animals over people for that very reason. 

I hope everyone has a great day - keep up the good fight! Throw out all that trash talk in your head, keep the good and remember the lessons of the day to carry those on to the next day!!! 

• Like 5

Aww love hearing about your lovely Rottie.....

There are no bad breeds ...just irresponsible owners...

We had a big boy Staffy...daft as a brush ....but like you ...people used to cross over when we took him out .

Being on a horse rope ,not a lead might have something to do with it  ...lol.....

• Like 4