Combatting day two early morning cravings

Kate18

This morning I awoke and my first thoughts were about coffee and a cigarette.  Incredibly, I started rationalizing that maybe the worsening of my eyesight in my right eye was from something like eye strain, something temporary. I stepped back 20 feet from the eye sight testing chart I bought on Amazon and taped onto my door and tested my eyes. 20/70 at best with my right eye. No change with left eye. The results of the chart triggered a cascade of reasons I quit for.  I felt some relief that I could feel good about the improvements in my health that might be possible when I stay quit. 

All the while I smoked in the past, I said to myself that, "my father was "healthy" and smoked since he was in his late teens"--and he was around 80-85 at the time. He got prostate cancer somewhere in there, but survived.  The irrational addictive thought was, "If I get cancer after 50 years of smoking, it' won't be a tragedy, it'll be a miracle!" (I'd be 120 years old.)  What an idiot.

My father had quit the moment he had the diagnosis and the doctor said, "quit or die." It wasn't until later that he was diagnosed with emphysema. I used to visit him most Sundays for an hour in the last few years of his life. I watched the disease take hold ever stronger and suffocate him. He was 91 when he passed away 10 months ago, his body like a skeleton with skin stretched over them -- emphysema made it difficult for him to eat anything in his last year. 

Somewhere in my mind I was thinking, "I'll quit before any cancer or other disease becomes a problem." The darkening color of my toes in the winter--they'd be better in the summer--it was just the cold weather. The pressure in my chest when I climbed stairs--just need to start walking.  The varicose veins that cause my legs to swell--vascular surgery. The way my facial skin has aged, taking me from looking 40 into my 50s, to looking early 70s in my 60s. In my addictive haze, I rationalized that I could stop or reverse anything that assailed me. 

How crazy is our thinking when we smoke, mine, anyway. Dr Abraham Twersky wrote a book called Addictive Thinking. He wrote about how an addict skews cause and effect, attributing a problem or problems to anything but the addictive substance. In these early days of quitting, when I'm still craving, I'll have to reread it to reinforce my understanding of the lies of the part of my mind that wants nicotine.

• Like 5

Oh Kate.  Hang in there.  I also made all those excuses,  but when I turned 60, I knew it was inevitable that I would get a smoking related illness.  

I really think you have been mentally preparing yourself for this quit.  Keep educating yourself and stay close.  We are here to help you through.  

Keep looking past those craves to the power and freedom you will receive when quit.   

• Like 5

Here is Joel Spitzer's

Day Two of Quitting Smoking.

Going through Joel's lessons are a great way to get through your first days.

Education really inspired me.

You must also reward yourself for every crave you conquer.

Many of my rewards were taking a delicious breath of oxygen, listening to a piece of music, acknowledging beauty in some way.

This helps to re-claim your brain receptors from nicotines grasp.

Stay true to your commitment to NOPE, and Never Take Another Puff, you will win.

It gets easier.  You are in the slog right now as nicotine leaves your body, Forever.

Glad you are here.

• Like 3

Keep posting Kate and keep reminding yourself of all those reasons you have to stay quit. Stay close, I really think we're your missing link to get past the hurdles that cause you to fail each time. Use us to help you past the tough times! :) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kate,

Please post an SOS if you feel like you are hitting a wall.

Many of us are alerted when a post is made in SOS and will be there as soon as possible so, wait for us !

Also, posting a pre-response to your own SOS is really helpful.

It reminds you of why you quit and helps us help you with your own words and thoughts.

Pre-Respond to your own SOS.

• Like 2

All the while I smoked in the past, I said to myself that, "my father was "healthy" and smoked since he was in his late teens"--and he was around 80-85 at the time. He got prostate cancer somewhere in there, but survived.  The irrational addictive thought was, "If I get cancer after 50 years of smoking, it' won't be a tragedy, it'll be a miracle!" (I'd be 120 years old

There are millions of smokers who have died far to young ...for every one old person ...you will be surprised at the beniefts of not smoking ..it effects every part of your body..I have more energy now ,then when I was in my forties ...

Stay close here Kate...

• Like 5

Hi Kate,

i’m in The same boat. I just quit a few days ago. I still think about smoking when I first wake up. I’ve changed the way I have my morning coffee. And the place too. You can do this! This week has been hard with the  lovely parting gifts smoking has left me to deal with while my body works to undo all the damage. But this morning I’m feeling better. Just one day at a time. I can I will I must! My new motto. 

• Like 5

The early morning was tough on me also -- when I had the strongest craves for a cigarette with a cup of coffee.  I went a hard way to combat and I drank cold juice or water first thing in the morning then deep breathing (I would also use the Jillar Air Cigarette also).  And yes I went all stupid and quit coffee at the same time, I knew that would be a huge trigger for me. It was very tough the first couple of weeks but I got thru it and the morning crave faded the fastest of all the other craves since I focused on it so much and since it was the biggest trigger for me it gave me the confidence to conquer all other craves.  And yes I have not had a cup of coffee since I quit smoking, very hard to believe!!!!!

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Diane R said:

Oh my I love my coffee drink it all day. I’ve had to give up a lot my things due to my type 1 diabetes. I can’t even think about giving up my coffee too. You are brave Martian 

Not brave, kind of stupid -- and drastic, I really wanted to succeed and I kind of went all out -- anything to quit.  I am really surprised that I really do not miss coffee at all any more but it was tough at the time!!!

• Like 3

The mornings were tough for me too, Kate, but things did get better.

You are doing a great job of expressing what you are experiencing.  That helps you better understand what you are going through and also helps others early in their quits.  Keep doing this as I believe it will help you.

Also, congratulations on making it to day 2.  These early milestones really are huge and I hope you realize that.  Just keep taking it one day at a time and you will get there.

Edited by johnny5
  • Like 5

My three biggest triggers were alcohol, coffee, and food (after a meal).   I didn't drink alcohol for the first 3 months because I didn't need anything to make quitting any harder; I couldn't stop eating so instead I ate more; but, like Diane, I decided I would not give up my beloved all day coffee.  I was very happily surprised when I found that I still enjoyed drinking coffee without a cigarette and it actually became a bit of a life raft in my sea of abstinence. I guess I just need to have at least one active vice at any given time.   Interestingly, when I started drinking alcohol again after 3 months (although I was still definitely craving cigarettes), I found that having a drink was not only still enjoyable, but also helped ease by cigarette cravings at that point in my quit -- but I don't think it would have at the very beginning.  Cheers and hang in there, the things you love will still be lovable when the smoke clears. 

• Like 7

On 7/20/2019 at 9:07 AM, Kate18 said:

All the while I smoked in the past, I said to myself that, "my father was "healthy" and smoked since he was in his late teens"--and he was around 80-85 at the time. He got prostate cancer somewhere in there, but survived.  The irrational addictive thought was, "If I get cancer after 50 years of smoking, it' won't be a tragedy, it'll be a miracle!" (I'd be 120 years old.)  What an idiot.

I know you know better now, Kate but, I am including this video for others who may still harbor that thought.

Congratulations on keeping your quit !

• Thanks 1