TED Talk with Nasia Davos

Kate18

Quitting smoking can bring quantum changes in a life.  The self-confidence and the trust in yourself propels you to bigger changes.

What's going on with your quit date, @Kate18 ? It reads today (July 19, 2019), is that correct ?

I'm hoping it is a typo but, are you back after a relapse ?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sazerac said:

Quitting smoking can bring quantum changes in a life.  The self-confidence and the trust in yourself propels you to bigger changes.

What's going on with your quit date, @Kate18 ? It reads today (July 19, 2019), is that correct ?

I'm hoping it is a typo but, are you back after a relapse ?

It is not a typo, unfortunately. I lapsed and had given up. I had no confidence in myself to keep a pledge to not smoke and was never going to come back to QT. I've been impulse driven. The insidious thought that one more pack won't really matter had me going from pack to pack. I'd resigned to being a smoker.

Seeing the video, and recognizing the truth of what Davos says--a lot of it from Anthony Robbins, I think--reminds me of how change can happen and gives me a glimmer of hope again.

I like Davos's suggestion of saying out loud--and I think "out loud" is a key factor-- that "what I really want is ......."  She suggested air, what I really want is air. In essence, I think it's, "what I want is a hit of dopamine, a sense of elation or relaxation without it being prompted by a hit of nicotine."  

I'm making this up as I go through my day today. I'm buying a few cookies when I get to work.  I'm practicing what she said.  For today, it's "what I really want is the small sugar rush when I eat a cookie on my break." I'll figure out tonight what I can do tomorrow.

I just ordered a sustainable farming book on Amazon, "How to Grow More Vegetables (and Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Grains, and Other Crops) Than You Ever Thought Possible on Less Land with Less Water Than You Can Imagine." Jeavons, John. The reality of my ever having a mini-farm again (I had one years ago) is dim--I'm 69 and have to work until I drop. But the dream makes me happy. I'm hopeful that studying the book will give me hours of pleasure--dopamine, that is.

Other than the above, I don't know how to make this time quitting different. At least I'm out of the mindset that I was always going to be a smoker. I had quit trying. I realized two days ago that my eyesight in one of my eyes went from 20/40 to about 20/60 within the space of four months. Scared me. This morning I went online to review quit-smoking sites and motivational, self-improvement quotes. I found this video and what Davos says makes sense. After so many failures, I'm afraid of failing again. But if I don't try again, I am doomed to a nightmarish life.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kate !  Do not give up !  You can quit and I am so glad you came back.  Never stop quitting.

Stop Smoking !

When I had a crave or a trigger

I would holler, Free Your Head !

and take beautiful clean breaths, Oxygen !

Commit to NOPE, quit fooling around.

You have plenty of time left to enjoy and thrive in your freedom.

Stay close, we are looking out for you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sorry you smoked Kate ,but glad to see you have taken your seat back in the train ...

Never give up ,giving up....do whatever it takes ....

Remember your not giving up anything but poison that will kill you ...your freeing yourself...

Wake up each day ..shouting Yipee I'm free...a Fabulous Non Smoker....I'm no more a slave to that Nico Monster.

• Like 4

So glad your back Kate.  Yes, never give up quitting.  I was like you and never thought I could quit.  I became a closet smoker and gave up on life.  Finding this forum gave me the power to quit.  Stay close and we will help you through.

• Like 4

Hi Kate, glad you're back to quitting. And glad you came back to qt. I think one huge thing you haven't tried yet is staying glued to this site. I'm not joking when I tell you that it worked great for me. I was on any and every time I could be and found that keeping my mind busy with reading and responding to all the various threads really did help silent the constant thoughts of smoking. And if I did feel like I was getting ready to cave to a crave I posted about it and people came running to get me through it.

I REALLY do think you should try it this time. Who knows, it just may be the trick :) 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday I allowed myself foods (including some rather high in sodium--forbidden because they worsen glaucoma) -- in order to stimulate the pleasure center of the brain and counteract the void left by ceasing to feed my brain with nicotine. I especially like hot dogs, which, unfortunately, are a class-1 carcinogen. Won't repeat that one, but I enjoyed them immensely with some rice and vegetables.  It worked to stop the cravings. I made it with little difficulty to evening.

It isn't a permanent solution, but for a few days I'll indulge. I just had a cookie left over from yesterday with my coffee.

I joined the 24 Hour Fitness gym across the street from my neighborhood. My first induction/training session is Monday. I want to see how much nicotine-craving can be countered by exercise, and how long the effect lasts.

Anyone have success with easing cravings with exercise? The amount of it? How often do you have to exercise to stave off craving?

I'm thinking it could be useful to learn to properly punch a punching bag at the gym. When I visualize that I'm punching the bag as a surrogate for a cigarette or the tobacco industry, or the dark side of myself that wants to smoke--quite a satisfying image.