Where do all those Butts go?

We may have quit smoking but our environment is still bombarded with the toxic chemicals contained in the filters of the discarded cigarette butts. World wide, it's in the Trillions annually. I can't even wrap my head around trillions. I know I have never seen that descriptor mentioned on my bank statement!

https://globalnews.ca/news/4418956/cigarette-butts-ocean-pollution-ban/

• Sad 5

I have to admit that I always wondered about this as I smoked -- and yes I was part of the problem.  I believe that cigarettes have caused more harm than what we have ever thought.  This is hard to wrap my head around but something I have to look deep inside myself as to the consequences.  This is something to follow up on and move forward with!!!!

• Like 2

I'm more motivated than ever to join a local clean-up volunteer group. 1 person may not make a huge difference but I will make at least some difference. That's important because I too was a major contributor to this problem for more years than I care to admit!

Bird_Butt.jpg

• Like 4

And maybe more of us should, I too will commit myself to volunteer for local clean ups. We have a clean up the beach a couple times of year and this is for sure one I will work on ( have you ever seen how many butts are on the beach)!!!!

• Like 3

Well, I pick up cigarette butts all along my street nearly every day, in a mostly calm fury.

When I smoked I thought I was being virtuous by 'field stripping' my smoke,

which is stubbing out the fire, twisting the leftover tobacco out and pocketing the filter to be thrown in the trash.

You know where the trash goes ?  Landfill, put out to sea on a barge, or sent to another country.

Filters are not biodegradable.

My nearly 300,000 cigarette butts are still on the planet.

Sickened at the reality.  Virtuous pffftttt.

• Like 1