First Days

Diane R

The first days can seem like the longest days of your life. I’m sitting here this morning counting all the reason I’m quitting. So many wonderful reason but still the beast is calling. I’ll have a bite to eat and I’m  so accustomed to having that after meal cigarette and then I realize I don’t really need it. Come on here and read some post or watch a video. Thank goodness for this forum. And all the wonderful members who take the time to help all us newbies. 

• Like 6

Oh yes Diane, the constant thoughts of cigarettes drove me crazy too. That lasted longer than any of the other quit symptoms I was going through. And yes, finding others who knew what I was going through helped me a lot too. I found that supporting my fellow quitters gave me that break from thinking about smoking that I so badly needed and stayed glued to the forum daily.

The forum is also where I first discovered using my air cigarette to get past a bad crave. It really worked to trick my mind into thinking it was getting the real thing so if things get too bad, try it.

Oh and congratulations on day 2 :)

• Like 3

Write down all your reasons for quitting.

You might want to post a Pre Response to your own  SOS    HERE.

and

here is a video index of our friend, Joel Spitzer,  Daily Quitting Lesson Guide

These vids helped me immeasurably.

Soon your body will be free of nicotine !  

I am so glad you made the step to quit.  You will be fine and free !

• Like 3

I’m moody too Jordan7. I can’t help it. Than I’m constantly saying I’m sorry. Everything seems to get on my last nerve. My daughter called me last night and the kids where in the car with her. I had to go they weren’t doing anything just being kids but I couldn’t take the noise my head hurt so bad. 

3 minutes ago, Diane R said:

I’m moody too Jordan7. I can’t help it. Than I’m constantly saying I’m sorry. Everything seems to get on my last nerve. My daughter called me last night and the kids where in the car with her. I had to go they weren’t doing anything just being kids but I couldn’t take the noise my head hurt so bad. 

Ha, the only company I truly enjoyed very early on was my Labrador's.  He got a lot of walks the first weekend.  

• Like 2

And I swear time was almost standing still for me during those earl days. A day seemed like a week.

It was frightening. I thought it might stay that way - lol. I think most of us end up with a short fuse during the early days. I learned to keep my yap shut, especially if it involved my wife, although she knew what was going on so she picked here times carefully to approach me with any issues.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jordan7 said:

I napped a lot just to escape a the cravings for a bit while still moving the clock.  Seriously.  But I was a very grumpy quitter. 

Me too!  I did a lot of deep breathing and thinking of that glorious fresh air going in and out.

Each day gets better.

• Like 3

You are right Diane.  Those first days seem to be a total obsession with fighting off the cravings.  And the irritability is off the charts.  I still recall standing in the "15 items or less" line at the supermarket and my head nearly exploded as I counted the 21 items that the sweet, elderly lady in front of me unloaded on the conveyor belt.  When she pulled out her checkbook to pay I just lost it.  "Are you %#&ing kidding me!?!?!?!"

Calmness and sanity will come back.  And the freedom from "needing" to light up every half hour will actually make your life much more peaceful.

Keep up the good work.  You're on track. 

• Like 4

Yes I also thought the first couple of weeks seemed like months.  When I found this group it helped me get thru those "long days".  But as each day passed I saw new benefits and that really helped me get thru the worst.  Keep going girl you are strong and you are doing this!!!

• Like 2

I keep telling myself  patience is a virtue but it’s not helping very much lol. And I also have a lab Jordan7 my baby boy Samson. He been staying close by me. He knows something is different. Such smart dogs. I would walk him more if I had the Energy. I miss that the most. I can’t wait to have my energy back so I can join the gym! 

• Like 1

Here's some reading for you Diane

https://www.quittrain.com/topic/2747-your-first-days-nicotine-free/

Your body is trying to rid itself or a lot of toxins; it's going to take some time but the human body has an amazing ability to heal.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sazerac said:

Get up off your rusty dusty, "make a move-change a thought".

You will feel so much better, it will get your endorphins flowing,  just do it.

Good advice Diane! I remember sitting in my house locked up like a prisoner for almost the whole first week of my quit and wish now that I had just forced myself to get off my butt and get out in the fresh air. Just a short walk or anything. Not only revitalizes you physically but will distract you from smokey thoughts. Take you doggie for a short walk. You'll both be better off for it :) 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Diane R said:

Good thing is the carving don’t last too long. And I have my  twizzlers

Sazerac how did you know is was  Dusty  😂 

I am hoping 'carving' is a typo and all your knives are in a safe place, lol.

• Haha 3

Thanks you checking on me Sazerac.  I’m just waking up. So far so good. Took the dog out and didn’t think about having one at all. Of course I wake up with a headache. No biggie  Ibuprofen here I come and my coffee. Yesterday afternoon I decided to go hang by the pool. That helped a lot. So hot here in July. And I could do a little  exercise in the pool. Not ready for the gym just yet. I don’t seem to be as  achy this morning. So I’m going to try and get a little housework done today. And if I get to tired to finish oh well, i’ll get there. It’s going to take a little longer this go around. I never had and of the withdrawals with the laser treatment. I look at it this way if I think about ever putting a cigarette in my mouth I’m going to remember how awful I have felt when I quit. That should do it. At least I hope. This is no fun at all. And I’m not a spring chicken lol 😝 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Diane R said:

Thanks BKP! I’m Just  waiting for this  burst of energy everyone says they get. where’s mine 😝 

I never got a burst of energy Diane so don't worry if it never happens. I felt just as you do, tired all day than couldn't sleep all night....

• Like 2

I'm not sure I got that 'burst of energy' either.

I was able to sleep through the first few days and self-medicated with Whisky.

When I surfaced,  I dove into the fury of cleaning my house.

Here is a thread 

Your First Days, Nicotine Free

Hey, drink lots of water and watch your blood sugar !

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 1