Withdrawals

Diane R

So I’m having a lot of fatigue, shortness of breath(never had this before) I’m a little grumpy. I understand I’m going to have withdrawal symptoms. Man they are hard to deal with. I keep telling myself they will pass. I need to be strong. I’m still taking the Chantix is does help but it doesn’t stop the craving or the withdrawals. I can’t wait for the fatigue to get better so I can go to the gym. I’m so tired I’m having a hard time getting anything done. I went on a little vacation with my girlfriends over the weekend and I was beat just taking a little walk. So not use to this. I like to stay busy and I’m usually an active person. Not so much the last 3 weeks. I have totally stop smoking as of yesterday. I was up til than only smoking 3 cigarettes if that a day. I’m hoping in a couple of days a lot of this will be totally gone.

• Like 2

Hi Diane, what you are experiencing is totally normal. Your body is working hard to heal from all the damage smoking has done. So if it's tired, rest. Hungry, eat. Craving sweets, eat a candy or drink some fruit juice. Just let your body dictate what it needs right now.

Many of us experience shortness of breath after quitting. I have asthma and my breathing got so much worse I was questioning why I even quit! But, it does get better. To ease your worry though it's never a bad idea to talk to your dr. about it. My cousin quit and doesn't have asthma but her Dr. gave her a rescue inhaler to use for that first month or so. She's great now. 

Congrats on being past day ! :) 

• Like 5

I concur with Jillar -- there are several things you will go thru the first several days off of cigarettes.  The fatigue got to me a bit -- did not expect it, what I did was rest.  Again  drink lots of fluids -- cold if you can and use deep breathing techniques they really help.  Again check out the site and all of its information as it can really help you understand what is going on.  If anything seems really out of place it cannot hurt to discuss with your doctor.  Congrats on the first day!!!!

• Like 2

Shortness of breath, I had it too. Mine was anxiety related. Quitting scared the hell out of me. It lasted a while, diminished and came back again. Its a proces. Do some research to what causes it, maybe visit your doctor if you dont trust it. And try concious breathing. See it as an opportunity to learn something about yourself, rather than something that has to get out of the way! 

Just to clarify, have you quit 'officially' now? If so, good for you, congrats on your decision :)

Edited by MLMR
  • Like 3

These symptoms can last a while during the early days of your quit. Be patient with the process, it's a marathon not a sprint race. You WILL heal but it takes some time regardless of who your are or how long you smoked. People above have given you some good ideas of things to try to relieve some of the issues. Glad you have put the smokes down all together because that's what is required not only to break free from your addiction but as well to get through all these early quit symptoms you are experiencing. Now that you are not smoking at all, the true healing can begin :) 

• Like 2

Diane, so glad you are finally quit.  Hunker down and stay strong.  It will be difficult for the first couple of days but so worth it.  

I did sleep a lot the first couple of days but I was glad to do so.  It helped avoid the other discomforts of quitting.  I was also crabby for a couple of months. 

Stay close to the forum and we will help support you along the way.   

• Like 2

Yes I have  officially quit no cigarettes since yesterday. Not even a puff! Im really not feel deprived of smoking. I’m having the most trouble with the habit. I wasn’t getting anything from smoking for the last couple of weeks. I really think the habit and as dumb as it might sound fear of quitting smoking as been the worst. No one like to fail and I’m no exception. I’ve been reading a lot of others stories on here since I found the site. They have helped me more than I can tell you. I’m very thankful to all of you for sharing you experiences and stories.and I’m sure I will me posting a lot in the coming weeks and months.

Edited by Diane R
  • Like 6

Congratulations on the quit.  Two quick observations...

First, maybe think about trying to force yourself to go to the gym despite the fatigue.  Sometimes exercise can be an energy producer instead of an energy consumer, and you may feel better as a result of going.  Second, definitely don't be alarmed if your energy is not back to normal in a couple of days, as you mention in your initial post of this thread.  Recovery can be a long process--and given how long most of us smoked, the toxicity of the chemicals we've ingested, and the habits we've ingrained, it would actually be surprising if this weren't the case.  Cultivate patience.  

Christian99

17 1/2 Years Quit

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Diane R said:

I’m hoping in a couple of days a lot of this will be totally gone.

Darling, this ain't going to happen.

Please, educate yourself about nicotine addiction.

Do not expect instant results, this will only lead to failure.

You are on a journey.  Take one moment, one crave at a time.

Commit yourself to NOPE, it is the only way.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Diane R said:

Well I would be happy if just the body aches slow down a little. I’m thinking I might just go for a massage. My shoulders and upper back are killing me. 

Use the $$ you're saving from not buying cigarettes to reward your efforts in these early days and go get that massage! Perfect thing to do and it will lift your spirits too :) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Diane R said:

Yes I have  officially quit no cigarettes since yesterday. Not even a puff! 

Good to hear.  Congratulations.

You are beginning a process that will reward you many times over.

Proceed.

• Like 2

Yes I have  officially quit no cigarettes since yesterday. Not even a puff!

That is awesome, Diane.  Great job.

What you are going through is normal with new quitters.  Most of us have gone through this. 

The first days are the toughest but it does get much better with time.  And, as long as you commit to never taking another puff, you will not have to go through those first few days again.

You are doing a great thing by putting smoking behind you.

• Like 3

My withdrawals are getting better. Still have a little fatigue. The  body aches are much better. Still have the worst headaches though. But it is getting better. I know when it’s all said and done I will feel great. 

• Like 4

You're doing awesome Diane, I had a bunch of quit withdrawals too including fatigue, extreme shortness of breath, bleeding gums and my tongue was so sore lol.

But I still remember the morning I woke up in the best mood I had been in in years and realized all that misery was worth it :)

• Like 2

My withdrawals are getting better. Still have a little fatigue. The  body aches are much better. Still have the worst headaches though. But it is getting better. I know when it’s all said and done I will feel great. 

Diane, are you still having shortness of breath ?

Please pay attention to any symptoms.

This is from the FDA Drug Safety site,

"Patients taking Chantix should contact their health care professional

if they experience new or worsening symptoms of cardiovascular disease,

such as chest pain, shortness of breath,

calf pain when walking, or sudden onset of weakness,

numbness, or difficulty speaking.

Patients should also contact their health care professional if they have any questions or concerns "

Here is more information from Chantix

Stay aware and alert.  

I was so excited that you had quit, I forgot you were on Chantix.

There are more complicated things to be aware of with a drug like that.

You may be experiencing things that have nothing to do with quitting smoking

and everything to do with taking Chantix.

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 1

Sazerac thanks for the info i’m  aware of the side effects of Chantix. I don’t have heart problems. I’ve reduced my Chantix I 1 day. I’m going to stop taking it in the next couple of weeks. I don’t think I need it for a full 3 months. I’m always aware of what’s going on with my body. I only have a little shortness of breath. No signs of a heart attack. I’m not sure if I  mentioned  I have type 1  diabetes. I was Diagnosed 3 years ago. I see doctors all the time. Just went to my doctor 1 week ago. No heart problems blood pressure is good. They keep a good eye on heart  disease as a diabetic I’m at a higher risk for it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Diane R, years ago I quit for three weeks using chantix and quit taking it after a month and almost instantly started smoking again. So I would really recommend staying on it for the suggested three months. I'm just speaking from experience.....

• Like 1