When did you feel like the worse was behind you

Diane R

Hello everyone,

when did you feel like the worse of the  nicotine addiction was behind you. I’m  struggling  With that today. I want to go out on the patio and have a cigarette but I know it’s not going to taste good. And will mostly likely make me beat myself up for breaking weak and lighting one. And I will only have a few puffs and put it out. Geez why can’t I just put them down? I can do anything esle I decide I want to do

You can do this, too.  You have to decide that there are absolutely no circumstance in which it is okay to take even one puff.  You reactivate the addiction each time you do.  You have to truly believe there is not one positive effect from smoking, other than relieving the withdrawal symptoms that begin again within 30 minutes.

Edited by Nancy
  • Like 9

Hi Diane, to be honest, my whole first year sucked. BUT, I was my own worse enemy. Like Nancy said, once you realize smoking offers nothing positive, you'll have a much easier time.

I see that you're quit date is July 11? So you already have three days under your belt. That's half way through what we call hell week. The name speaks for itself....

It's not going to be easy but it is doable, IF you truly are ready to quit......

Edited by jillar
  • Like 4

If you have cigarettes around you, it makes it way too tempting to go smoke one and yes, all of the negative things you mentioned will happen should you light up again. Get rid of any smokes you have access to and old ash trays etc. As Nancy said, every time you light another one up .... you renew your addiction; every time! The only way to break that cycle is to quit and stay quit. Sure there's some uncomfortable days in the beginning but the longer you stay quit, the easier it gets. 

In terms of your question about the worst being over? It's different for all. The first week pretty much just sucks big time. Then, each week gets gradually better. You start seeing good days but still have down days too so, it's not like flipping a switch. It's a process The .improvement is very gradual.

The key is your mind set. Stay positive! You are doing the best possible thing for yourself. You need to celebrate that. Embrace the suck of the early days because they will soon be gone and that discomfort represents the fact that you are healing - body & mind!

• Like 8

You are in the first week and as said above it is tough and it sucks but you can get thru it-- just stay focused, use deep breathing techniques and drink cold water when a crave comes on and use the  air cigarette.  It takes some time to go thru the process -- no magic bullet here just determination.  It does get better week by week and as you celebrate those milestones and the monthly ones then you see your own control and determination wins out !!!!

• Like 6

Please correct me if I am wrong, @Diane R,

but, I was under the impression that you haven't quit yet.

You were starting Chantix and preparing for your quit.

Is this right ?

It is the commitment to yourself to never take another puff that matters.

Quitting smoking doesn't kill you,

craves do not kill you, 

triggers do not kill you.

SMOKING KILLS YOU.

We have all lived through some gnarly times and some easy times, too. 

Once you make the commitment, smoking isn't a choice anymore.

You can power through, 'embrace the suck' as our friend, Sarge, says.

Change the Story, Free your Head to emerge stronger and more confident with a solid and profound trust in yourself.

To answer your question, when did you feel the worse was behind you?

I feel the worse is in front of me should I ever choose to smoke even one puff ever again.

Edited by Sazerac
  • Like 6

Diane, things will not improve until you stop smoking altogether.  There will be a rough few weeks but once you brace the suck and quit, you just keep looking forward.  Looking forward to a life without a smoking related illness or possibly a longer much healthier life.  

I smoked for 42 years and was so depressed and discouraged that I could not quit.  I was so embarrassed and ashamed that I continued to smoke knowing that it would most likely lead to a terrible end.  I was lucky to find the forum.

To answer your question, yes it was tough for about a month.  Once the nicotine is out of your body, you just keep redirecting those thoughts to your new and improved life.

• Like 3

No I’m not totally smoke free. But I’m working really hard at it. I’m not smoking when I drive which is huge. And I’m not smoking a whole cigarette at all. Mostly just lighting it and having a few puffs and putting it out. Chantix is making that possible. And I’m not buying anymore cigarettes so tomorrow should be it for me. I think it’s more but going though the motions of smoking that I’m having the  most trouble with. And thanks again for all the support and tips.  

You can do it Diane...

Think of it as a little monster ...one puff of nicotine keeps him alive and kicking ....starving him of nicotine will kill him off...after 3 days he's gone ...

Unless you light up again ...then he springs back to life .....this is why we carnt have  !! just One Puff. !!!.....

• Like 2

Thanks Doreen! That’s so true. Little devil always temping me. I have to show him the door. He doesn’t belong here. Nope. So far 0 today. I just have to take it hour by hour.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Diane R said:

No I’m not totally smoke free. But I’m working really hard at it. I’m not smoking when I drive which is huge. And I’m not smoking a whole cigarette at all. Mostly just lighting it and having a few puffs and putting it out. Chantix is making that possible. And I’m not buying anymore cigarettes so tomorrow should be it for me. I think it’s more but going though the motions of smoking that I’m having the  most trouble with. And thanks again for all the support and tips.  

Thank you for the clarification, Diane, and I look forward to the day when you commit to Not One Puff Ever.

I believe I can help you more when you take that step.

In the meantime, this may be informative

• Like 2

You poisoned your body for 40 years. You can't just expect to be over it in a month or two.

I knew I was past the addiction fairly quickly. I never really craved a smoke after I quit and I knew I'd never smoke again, so that helped.  I did, however, deal with pretty bad mood swings and a short temper for many months. Jesus bless my sweet girlfriend for putting up with me through it all.

It was around the 9 month mark that I finally felt normal.

You have to remember that this is a process. You have to be determined to put in the work and stay strong and focused.

Bottom line- If you are 100% committed, you can't fail.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, JimHannoonen said:

You poisoned your body for 40 years. You can't just expect to be over it in a month or two.

Bingo!

Commit to the process.  Trust the process.

• Like 2

Let’s see, (checks calendar) it’s been over 3 yrs since I quit.  So I would say, that give or take a few days, not counting holidays,  was there a leap year?  No leap year, good.   I started feeling that the worst was behind me early last week.

I’m joking of course.   The worst was behind me the day I quit.   The aftershocks I would say lasted about a month for me.  Your mileage may vary of course.  But that day will come when you don’t even think about it.   You’ll be going to dinner or a movie or be getting on a plane and not even think about when and where can I smoke?   You’ll stop scoping out new places for the smoking area the minute you arrive.

You will feel better, smell better, and save money, and have a lot less stress in your life

• Like 5

Thanks everyone. I’m doing ok today. I didn’t light one up on a 4 1/2 hours drive from the west coast. And I was driving. And ex smokers you  that’s a long time (when you smoke in your car)and great  accomplishment. At least for me. I’ll take it. Of course I want to smoke but I didn’t do it. 

• Like 4

I didn't think it would be possible for me to never smoke again the day I quit. Now, I don't think it would be possible for me to ever smoke again. Funny how your perspective changes once you make that commitment to change your life.

• Like 6

I didn't even want to quit and now I'm kicking myself I didn't do it sooner. Never thought I'd be able to. Now..I don't see myself ever smoking again. 

As to when it got better...don't really know it was so gradual that one day I went, hey haven't thought about smoking for??? Since??..dunno when..woohoo.

Don't worry about when, worry about NOW.... especially in the early days focus on today...tomorrow isn't here yet and yesterday can't be rewritten.

• Like 3

Yes -- look at this as one day at time, they add up quickly.  You will get to the point where you think less and less about smoking but it takes some effort to get there.  Again focus on that one day  and you  can do this!!!

Edited by Martian5
  • Like 3